What is everyone working on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished? As in, the game is entirely finished?

Anyways, I gotta give you some crits. The animations of Pandasaurus himself are dreadful. The jumping is very statue-like, and the attacks are quite odd. I can't even tell what Pandasaurus is doing. I'm gonna guess one of them is a roar, but what is the other? Some sort of laser? Why a laser? Also, the lighting looks strange. Everything is super shiny, as if it's all wet. And is there really nothing to let you know you're getting hurt besides your hp bar? I'm gonna assume most of this is unfinished, though.

This was exactly my opinion, only I didn't have the heart to say it.

Critical analysis

Thanks for the feedback! We're aware of most (if not all) of what you said already, don't worry. We had to demonstrate a ton of shader usage as part of a feature requirement for the game, which is why the lighting is the way it is. However, this much deserves to be said:

This was a school project that was finished in a timespan of 4 months. Not a single thing you see is premade. EVERYTHING -- the engine, the renderer, the shaders, the models, the physics calculations, the animations, the textures, the sounds, the prerendered cutscenes, ALL OF IT -- was custom-made by us. In four months.

You guys have been waiting 2+ years for the next minute increment of SRB2. We pretty much made our "own" SRB2 in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the team size. Think about it.

Of course it's not perfect, we're students. But hey, we won an award at the show (and all got shitfaced at a party later that night, yeeeeeeeea), so we couldn't have done that bad ;)

The lighting on the Pandasaurus is the TF2 shader, BTW. Anyone remember the Engineer's favourite equation? We had to learn that.

Last edited:
I got a few projects going including a Gmod version of Green Flower zone act one from 2.0.6 (All textures in use are remakes or replacements), i'll get some screen shots once I have enough progress.

Working on a translation of a manga that was written in 1972 called アルカディアの少年 (Arcadia Boy). It has not been licensed in the US, and has not been translated into any other languages as far as I know. Scanned, cleaned, cropped, translated, etc. In other words, a scanlation. I also had to draw a few things when the background had to be altered in order to suit the text (vertical Japanese vs. horizontal English).

Arcadia Boy Translation
(You might want to zoom out a bit, for some reason Google Docs starts zoomed in a bit too much)

Last edited:
Well, I WAS working on this, but it's done:
egItS.png

RPG MAKER CHRONICLES, EPISODE 1: NO, RPG MAKER ISN'T ENTIRELY CRAP

Working on an RPG in RMVX. That thing with the things that don't look like crap.

Before you say anything, nothing in RPG Maker VX is set in stone, and the code can be ripped apart pretty easily to do anything you want. Which, hilariously, is a prerequisite most of the time.

Funny thing, in its default code, the chunk for using a division command is typo'd. Instead of

/=

It uses

=

Meaning that, right out of the gate VX is a broken, but fixable, little mess of a code compile.

And people use it as-is.

And other people defend those people.

Anywho, it isn't all bad. With some time and adjustments, you can do things like...

newmenuc.png

Redone Menus!
Custom Font!
Custom Statuses!
Additional Equipment Slots!
newcaps.png

Higher Stat limits!
Higher Level limits!
Weapons whose power is dependent on the user's level!
danisword.png

Custom Menus!
Custom Weapon types!
A weapon weight system!
fivemembers.png

Five Member Parties!
Damage caps over 9999!
escalatingskills.png

Escalating Skill levels and mana costs!
Custom skill abilities!
And so much more!

Well now, that doesn't look so bad! Though, I definitely see how you managed to make those sprites so quickly. Couldn't get much simpler than that. That's not necessarily a good thing, though I can see it having it's own charm.

I love all the interesting gimmicks you have in there. Swimming in water, bouncy clouds, balloons, and that interesting translucent panel path. Not sure how that last one worked, but darnit it looked cool. Then, Desert Stage! Nice effect there. Also, that flying donut is a riot.

The thing that most impresses me though is the physics. Triangle's physics seems supreme, and the physics of the minecarts, gates, and many other things are great. I'm way more eager to see this than I was before. All I can hope is that you didn't show us the best parts here, whereas everything else is mediocre repetitiveness of the same gimmicks over and over again. :p

Also WHY NO MUSIC GRAAAAAAAAAWRRRR

I love the color scheme that you set in the beach, purple, and snowy level. I do have a few suggestions though. Especially in that first level you showed, I think it would be good to make sure you have a bit more graphical consistency in that level (possibly others as well). If you alter some of the art just a little bit so everything seems to be "within in the same world", you could have a really polished looking game on your hands. For example, the green platform that rises up and down does not seem to have a consistent style with the green ground in the first level. Also, some shapes are left unshaded while others are given shadow, and this creates a bit of a visual clash.

Gameplay seems wonderful, no complaints there.

I've not been quite persistent in my work recently, but I have been doing alot.

I've been working on getting my PS2 to properly read games to a playable state. Damn lens...
Then of course, I'm working on my Youtube channel, planning LPs and such. There's some bigger projects I'm dealing with, such as a PMV, and a compilation video.

I'm getting a bit limited in time. I have to start studying on my End of Course exams for freshman year. I'm also going to have to work on making a 3D worm in Garry's Mod for my Biology class.

I'm trying to save up money so I can buy a graphics card and an R4 for my DS. Every dime can count.

Oh, and I got this little doozy for $15 on Sunday.
79988707_4bb52235f0.jpg
Doesn't have a CD, and it's red, but basically the same one. Now I have a small reason to learn how to play...

And my sister's planning to come back from college, so I need to work on moving stuff around.

All in all, I'm going to have an insane few weeks.

RPG MAKER CHRONICLES, EPISODE 1: NO, RPG MAKER ISN'T ENTIRELY CRAP
Working on an RPG in RMVX. That thing with the things that don't look like crap.

Provided you haven't gotten too far in developing with VX, I'd suggest you go ahead and start using VX Ace. It's pretty similar and the layout looks the same, but the couple of new features there make developing much more fun and you can add in new features.
Not that VX is bad. I made a game with it once and it turned out just fine. But if you have the option, make the jump to VXAce.

Well, here's my project.
145c84e0.png

A graphic novel I've been working on since last July. It's almost done- I'm currently on page 110, with hopefully 20 or 30 pages to go. The story was originally written by Eblo in 2010, when he made his own RPG Maker VX game. Eventually we both agreed a comic would be pretty damn kinky, and I adapted the story into graphic novel form.

You can actually read what's been finished so far at http://bigfoot.smackjeeves.com/ (I warn you, some mature content. Nothing too bad though, just violence and cussing..)
Despite having 110 pages finished so far, only 55 are completely finished (as in colored and edited in PS) and therefore that's all that's available now.

This is an original composition called, tentatively, Winter Thoughts. I always wanted to have a singer in my songs...but I don't have anyone, so I finally decided to sing today as a placeholder just to hear it. There was no one in the house but me today. Haha ^^", less embarrassing. I very literally never sing...not even to myself, so this is a huge first for me. It's supposed to be a semi-old sounding jazzy piece. I wrote up the lyrics this morning, but they're still not final. It's a WIP. Hope this isn't too bad, sorry for some of the off tune singing o.o"

EDIT: Also, a few of the lyrics are slightly off, mixed them up a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back