Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystic, I think the idea of replacing instead of deleting is better; if the pack ended at LGZ it'd feel really empty, like it's missing something. HECK, you might as well not even call the pack Tortured Planet without the last two, especially AAZ. When Fawfulfan has the time he should scrap them and take his time to make new ones and compare the levels to see the mistakes and further improve upon them.

I know, and what I'm saying is that in the interim, he shouldn't bother to try to fix them up to be slightly less awful, because his pack would be dramatically better with them just deleted from the pack until he's finished with the remade stages.

It all goes by opinion, Mystic believes that its better to not have a level if its bad, Iceman404 believes that its better to have a place-holder than nothing. Although scrapping the levels might improve the overall pack's average score, it would make it feel less complete to some. It's all personal opinion, but the only one that rely matters is Fawfulfan's. If keeping the levels is how he wants to make his level pack, then anyone who doesn't like them can just, as Mystic said, "Alt-F4."

So, Gritty Columns Zone Act 2 is done.

I've succeeded in making another not very SRB2ish song, and a more Raymanish song. I find it annoying that I can't seem to get a Sonic feel to it at all, unless I use FM Synthesis, and it's a bit too late for that. :/
Of course, I can always make Sonic Colors-esque music in a hearbeat, but no original Sonic music.

A bit of a funny story behind this song though.
When I first started making this song, I got my inspiration from a picture of the level I had in my head. To be specific, it was the part where you come out of the sandslide, and are greeted by the moonlit sky as you fall into the sandy courtyard.
Lemme guess, Fawfulfan, you're probably thinking "Wait right there, Gritty Columns Zone Act 2 takes place in BROAD DAYLIGHT."
And if you were thinking that, you're right. I don't know why I was so delusional to make a song with a largely nighttime element in it, but I was pretty convinced. At the point where I finally realized my error, I was too far in to take it anywhere else. So here, I present to you a nighttime song for a daytime stage.

http://soundcloud.com/wesley_g/moonlight-mysteries-gritty

Actually, along the same lines, I feel that you should change Gritty Columns Zone Act 2 to a nighttime stage anyways. Even without my custom music, it gives off a very late feeling, and I know I'm not the only one to have been surprised to figure out that it was daytime after all.

Actually, along the same lines, I feel that you should change Gritty Columns Zone Act 2 to a nighttime stage anyways. Even without my custom music, it gives off a very late feeling, and I know I'm not the only one to have been surprised to figure out that it was daytime after all.
I agree. GCZ2 definitely feels like a nighttime stage because of all the dark corridors etc. Changing it to nighttime would only require minimal adjustments to two or three rooms.

By the way, cool tune, but I have no idea how you would go about making the tune for act 1 with the same theme :O

This soundtrack actually reminds me more of Mario and Luigi Partners in Time at most times... but yeah, awsome track. Keep up the good work!
Also, at the discussion if GCZ2 is night or day, I think it's night, mainly thanks to the soundtrack it plays now. It fits night better than day, no?

Last edited:
Pretty good track...can't wait for the next one!

And since the general consensus is that GCZ2 seems like it should take place at night, I'll probably go ahead and do that.

PROGRESS UPDATE:

As many of you may have suspected, work on Tortured Planet has slowed to a crawl recently, due to my involvement in other projects and a lack of ideas. But yesterday, I started up again, inspired by comments on IRC. For anyone who wasn't there, the two main points I took away from the conversation were:

1. It might be cool to try making the clouds in SNZ bouncy, but I'll have to remove Jetty-Syns from outdoor areas for that to be reasonable.

2. The blue grid mazes in SWZ2 are irredeemably terrible, and have to go.

First, the bad news. The bouncy clouds idea has been canned. Turns out it doesn't flow nearly as well as I had hoped. But I am not restoring the Jetty-Syns I removed before trying it out, so that's at least something.

Now, the good news. The blue grid mazes are no more. The area still looks very similar, but the Instant Kill grids have been replaced by safe steel floors (except for the one that protects Tails's emblem.)

I said that I'd make a review of those levels, but I think that people have already said what I think about most of the levels here, although I didn't look for their reviews to see if they said it so. But well, my real complaints about this pack is about GCZ (There's SWZ and AAZ, but Mystic have already said all of my complaints in his post).

GCZ1 really lacks something interesting, other than only sand, spikes, crushers and moving platforms. The first time I played it, I was waiting for hidden traps, secret passages, enemies suddenly falling from the ceiling, etc. But those were just my first thoughts, I wasn't really waiting for them to happen, and then, when I first played GCZ1, I saw that it was just full of things that doesn't actually offer something of original to the level. In GCZ1, there were just a few things that I really enjoyed, like the rising quicksand and the moving platforms close to the start, after that, the level starts to get boring, and then, in the end, when I was thinking that things would become interesting again, I saw the end sign. It isn't that the level is terrible, it's just that I was expecting more of it.

Now, when I got in GCZ2... yeah, I enjoyed it very much, because you made it just like I expected of GCZ1. Here you used the "only sand, spikes, crushers and moving platforms" in a very creative way, but now here's my complaint : You left GCZ1 boring and used all of your original ideas in GCZ2.

And now a suggesion... In my opinion, I think that there should be a mummy enemy just for GCZ, it will be cool.

Last edited:
As many of you may have suspected, work on Tortured Planet has slowed to a crawl recently, due to my involvement in other projects and a lack of ideas.
Sorry, what? It's not like you need more ideas to work on this pack. It's more about refinement.

Now, the good news. The blue grid mazes are no more. The area still looks very similar, but the Instant Kill grids have been replaced by safe steel floors (except for the one that protects Tails's emblem.)
You know, when we said they need to go, we meant all of them. Every single one. You know why the gimmick is bad? Because it makes no sense and is impossible to figure out. Why would a blue floor make the whole air above it lethal? And how is a player supposed to know that? If you wanna keep the gimmick, at least clad the whole sector in a red colormap or something.

GCZ1 really lacks something interesting, other than only sand, spikes, crushers and moving platforms.
You, sir, haven't played the level properly. Look around and you'll find a lot more.

like the rising quicksand
I have some bad news for you: That was removed.

and the moving platforms close to the start
If you're talking about the ones I think you're talking about, I think they're pretty boring.

But yeah, you do have a point there. GCZ1 is missing some interesting gimmicks.

Last edited:
LOL, I didn't say those last 3 things, PHCC did!

Anyway, I might try the fog block idea soon. And by the way, when I said "lack of ideas", I meant "lack of ideas for refinement".

You, sir, haven't played the level properly. Look around and you'll find a lot more.
If you're talking about the ones I think you're talking about, I think they're pretty boring.

Hmmm... I'm sure I've already explored all this level, so I'll keep my opinion. And yes, I was talking about the ones that you thought that I was talking about =P, and I think that they give a good start for the level. I enjoyed them the first time I played it anyway.

Oh, and Charyb, you should REALLY use slap bass in LGZ1.

Why?
Because in the Sonic Adventure games, most of the rock themes in the soundtrack used slap bass, and I'm guessing that LGZ1 is going to be rock-themed like LGZ2.

In any case, LGZ1 is finished. I don't think Charybdizs intended for the current version to be the final one, but I'm quite content to use what he's done already.

I'v been suffering from TorturedPlanet withdraw so when your release 9.0 it will be even more fun to play!
I hope the music gets done soon, going great so far Charybdizs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back