Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they both cover pretty much the same theme, so it's no surprise that one would remind you of the other.

Great idea, great track, but it's time for some minor nitpicking of mine:

• I assume for a jazzy vibe with this track. In that case, I think the bass sound doesn't quite fit. I'd use something warmer and less abrasive, even if that might seem to go against the feel of the level. The brass should bring enough coldness into the tune.
  • The second half (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it didn't show up in the Act 1 tune) sounds suspiciously like something I would write. That means I don't like it much. Did you run out of ideas to finish this tune or am I seeing things here? I just think it sounds too gloomy to fit in with the first half of the track. Sorta like the tune dies down along the way.
Those are my very personal opinions though, so you might just totally disagree.

I think the bass sound doesn't quite fit. I'd use something warmer and less abrasive, even if that might seem to go against the feel of the level.

Now I never would have thought that. I specifically chose the Slap Bass for the reason that it represents the inner city atmosphere a lot. A few people actually suggested it too, although I can't remember any names.

The second half (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it didn't show up in the Act 1 tune) sounds suspiciously like something I would write. That means I don't like it much. Did you run out of ideas to finish this tune or am I seeing things here? I just think it sounds too gloomy to fit in with the first half of the track. Sorta like the tune dies down along the way.
You're right, that part wasn't in Act 1. I didn't want to pull the subway sounds again, so I made up this part to go in there.
I don't know why you would have a problem with it sounding gloomy. I mean, just look at the level! You've got this glorious sprawling metropolis built one day by humanity, and the next, transformed into an ugly amalgamation of crime and propaganda. And then to boot, it is filled with water, and abandoned. What could be more fitting for a gloomy atmosphere?

Now I never would have thought that. I specifically chose the Slap Bass for the reason that it represents the inner city atmosphere a lot. A few people actually suggested it too, although I can't remember any names.
Oh fine, keep the slap bass then ;)

I don't know why you would have a problem with it sounding gloomy. I mean, just look at the level! You've got this glorious sprawling metropolis built one day by humanity, and the next, transformed into an ugly amalgamation of crime and propaganda. And then to boot, it is filled with water, and abandoned. What could be more fitting for a gloomy atmosphere?
You know, all of that would be fine if the first half of the track was gloomy too. But it isn't. The two parts don't feel very related to me.

Combined Wad

I always felt like the levels in TP seemed like levels that should have been in SRB2. If the levels in TP were appropriately placed (such as placing the fume shaft right after techno hill, ice levels after deep sea zone, desert zone after arid canyon, and so-on) it could make srb2 a reaaaally epic and long game. I know the secret achievements in TP probably couldn't (at least not easily) be integrated with SRB2, the levels alone would really add to the longevity of the game and/or create a somewhat new experience, kind of like plugging the ol' S3 cartridge into the S&K cartridge LOL. Does such a wad exist?

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Yeah, I know. Fume Shaft Zone isn't my best work. I'm going to go back later and solve those problems, but for now I'm just working on getting the basic version all the levels done.

Not sure if the link up there now is the same as before, but I had no framerate issues whatsoever anywhere. Also I liked fume shaft a lot, just maybe needs adjustments here or there, but definitely not scrap-worthy. I'd say the biggest issue is the green-death goop showing up at random in cracks on the floor. very annoying lol

Last edited:
Not sure if the link up there now is the same as before, but I had no framerate issues whatsoever anywhere.
No, that area is very different now than when I posted that. Trust me, the lag in that area used to be horrendous...plus it just wasn't that good a room. It's much better now.

This wad has really progressed since I downloaded the thing about 4 versions ago XD but the one thing that bothers me is the length of the acts themselves, I mean, thats the longest 2nd zone I've ever played! I haven't quite played this in full yet so sorry I can't say much about it, but it looks like you're doing well. I'll give a full opinion later when I actually finish the thing XD. Better get to it then...

Aaaah. A long level is a good level. ALWAYS. High length of a level is always a good thing.
A 5 minutes level is better than a 30 seconds level , huh ?

Aaaah. A long level is a good level. ALWAYS. High length of a level is always a good thing.
A 5 minutes level is better than a 30 seconds level , huh ?
No. Sunshine Atoll Zone is much better than Alien Armageddon Zone. Length is not a determinant of quality. In fact, I still think that any level in this mod that comes after Liftoff Gantry Zone Act 1 is too long. Unfortunately, Fawfulfan refuses to cut any content at all from his level, except in rare cases.

For my part, I think the last levels must be longer. In fact, we will count by "complete the level as fast as possible." The first zone : 1 min at full speed. The second : 1 minute 30, the third : 2 minutes, etc..

Personally, I think that slightly increase the time to complete the level in each zone is a good idea because the difficulty increases. And more the players advance in the game, more the difficulty must increase..no ?
Usually, more a level is long, more it's hard..
Of course, there is talk of full games. About isolated wad (containing only 1 map), I think 2 minutes 30 seconds at full speed should be a good time.

Each of its opinions.

As long as I enjoy the level im playing i don't really mind how long it is I wouldn't want a level to go on for like ages otherwise you may just end up getting bored on it. Anyways this is quite good I haven't played the full length of this yet but when I do i'll tell you what i think.

For my part, I think the last levels must be longer.
Uh, I think that too. But I also think that the 8+ minutes of Spacewalk Zone and Alien Armageddon Zone are way too much to bear. It doesn't help that these levels aren't very good anyway, but it's very hard to fill up a level that long with enough content, and even then, it starts to feel like a chore after a certain time.

Also, increasing difficulty should be achieved by other means than making the level longer. Look at the classic Sonic games. The levels do get longer as the game progresses, but not so heavily that the last level takes ten times as long to complete as the first one. If you do that, the last quarter of the game will be longer than the rest, and that's just seriously off balance.

So i've played (was it snow mobius zone?) and I think it's pretty cool but overall it has in my opinion, too many jettysyns. Lets say that you just wanted to explore the zone, so many will be on your tail (or tailsXD) that you will be shot or bombed out of the air in the middle of a jump and fall to your cold death. Now the pros to this are the music which is nice because it adds a good degree of atmosphere to the acts but the first act's music gets a bit repetitive. Oh and i'm not actually too bothered about the length of the acts anymore by the way.

I also think that the 8+ minutes of Spacewalk Zone and Alien Armageddon Zone are way too much to bear
Heck, I can't bear 1+ minute of Space Walk Zone, it's not fun at all. We can all have fun through the entire pack, but we all sigh right after LGZ Act 3, it's like the fun ends from there or something. The general reaction I get from the entire netgame audience is: "skip", "god", "SKIIPPPP", "lucky we got all the emmies so we can skip", "g2g", "who's the unlucky node this time?", or "fuck this shit!". Everything else in this pack's great though, but I hope the node glitches get fixed, and some of the jetties get removed from SNZ (there's a very unnecessary spam of them there).

Generally I just Alt-F4 the instant I get to Spacewalk, as the fun part of the pack ends right there. Treat Liftoff Gantry 3 as the last stage in this pack and the quality dramatically increases to the point that it's actually quite a lot of fun.

The problems with Spacewalk and Alien Armageddon have nothing to do with length and have everything to do with the fact that Spacewalk isn't fun at all, and Alien Armageddon has 2-3 interesting ideas spread across 3 hours of running for no particular reason.

Spacewalks isn't THAT long anyway. If done right, act 2 can be done in under 4 minutes, with Sonic.

Everything else in this pack's great though, but I hope the node glitches get fixed, and some of the jetties get removed from SNZ (there's a very unnecessary spam of them there).
I thought I made it perfectly clear that every single node glitch has been fixed for the next version. And I can probably delete a few more Jettysyns from SNZ if that's a major concern.

I don't have plans to delete the last two zones right now. I can tentatively say that at an indeterminate point in the future, if I have the creative will and the time, I will replace them, but that probably won't make it into the next version, particularly as I'm also involved in a few non-SRB2 projects right now as well.

I admit it would probably have been best just to scrap them for the time being, but I kind of have an irrational "thing" about deleting work without finding something suitable to replace it with, as many veterans of this board know only too well. I'm not proud of it, it's just the way I am. If it makes you guys feel better, then I'll endorse Mystic's strategy: pretend LGZ is the last zone.

But for those of you who want to give it a whirl, I actually have made some fairly noticeable changes to both Spacewalk and Alien Armageddon that should make them less excruciating. First, as I said, the node glitches are history. Second, aesthetics have been updated for all of the levels (in the case of SWZ2 and AAZ1, pretty substantially). Third, a few star posts have been moved (particularly in SWZ1), so that player deaths are less likely to make you guys fly into violent rages.

Last edited:
I admit it would probably have been best just to scrap them for the time being, but I kind of have an irrational "thing" about deleting work without finding something suitable to replace it with, as many veterans of this board know only too well. I'm not proud of it, it's just the way I am. If it makes you guys feel better, then I'll endorse Mystic's strategy: pretend LGZ is the last zone.
But think about it like how a zero affects your grade when you miss an assignment. I know applying math to "fun" is an abstract concept, but let's say that all the stages before Spacewalk are 80%/B. If you average in two zeros after that, you end up with a 62%/D. Simply deleting content would DRAMATICALLY improve your level pack, even without anything to replace it. You'd end up with a shorter, far better made and refined level pack that actually has a lot to recommend it.

The real problem you're having is called sunk cost bias. This is a common bias where you continue to invest resources in something bad because you don't want your previous investment to be "wasted" by giving up on it. This leads to bad decision making, continuing to pour time and effort into something you already know isn't going to work out well, wasting even MORE time and energy on something that will inevitably be a failure. Simply accepting the loss is better in the long run, because you can never get your previous "wasted" time back, and continuing to work on it will simply lead to even more wasted resources, amplifying the bias as even MORE time and effort is spent on it.

The reality is that the sooner you delete it, the sooner you can spend your time making things that are actually good and stop wasting your time on something that honestly is completely ruining your pack. As a bonus perk, you dramatically improve your current product with almost no effort at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back