• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Tikal Beta finally out! Now for the real thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angelus_the_echidna said:
Can we please wait until I start on Illyana before we criticize her?

No. Why not now? That sprite doesn't look very good, and it's an obvious edit of Tikal. Make it less like Tikal and more human, since you said she's a human.

I plan to Ieystn. after the Tikal beta is out. And I'll post screens when the irksome climb frames are done. I'm determined to get them done, even though I think they're a pain.

Alright, spoiler time!!! What I'm about to post is evidence of Tikal's first steps through srb2. This is still just the alpha, though. I only need a few more sprites to finish for Friday's beta version. Hopefully this tides everyone over *cousin picks up shot gun* Uh-oh....
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2439/srb20000lm1.png
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1032/srb20001hs8.png
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4476/srb20002yc0.png
It's been a long 2 months, but now I'm beginning to feel good about all the time invested into her, and compared to her 1st sprite set...well...let's just say it's been a trip.
I'll catch you all later,
--Angelus

She looks tiny in those pictures, I'm not sure that is so easily fixed though if that is the case... you could just say that Tikal in this wad was Cream's age. Otherwise it all looks good except for the skirt, which still has the black outline.

As for the subtler details, the shading on her spines are a little too uniform and too horizontal. The shade should spread a bit upwards a bit on each one, and it should stretch further on spines more towards the back than the front.

Oh, and I don't believe the shirt is supposed to curve upwards in the back, it looks a bit unnatural.

Keep up the good work though.

1280x800 in software mode?! I can barely keep a steady 20-35 FPS at 1024x768 with the 3.14Ghz CPU on my XP/Vista/Ubuntu PC, you must have a pretty good laptop, dual-core maybe?
Seriously though, nice pics. :D
JEV3 said:
She looks tiny in those pictures
srb200003.png

srb200002.png

My copy of the Tikal WAD is 15 minutes out of date, but you get the idea, she's only slightly smaller than Amy. The fact that she doesn't have ears and the wide resolution that Angelus was using in the screenshots can make her appear smaller as well.
JEV3 said:
As for the subtler details, the shading on her spines are a little too uniform and too horizontal. The shade should spread a bit upwards a bit on each one, and it should stretch further on spines more towards the back than the front.

Oh, and I don't believe the shirt is supposed to curve upwards in the back, it looks a bit unnatural.
You have some good points there, that would look more natural.

Oh yeah...oops. Don't worry, I'll send you the latest copy shortly before I leave for school.

JEV3 said:
She looks tiny in those pictures, I'm not sure that is so easily fixed though if that is the case... you could just say that Tikal in this wad was Cream's age. Otherwise it all looks good except for the skirt, which still has the black outline.

Note: WAD is bigger than it appears. *shot* But I do see some of your points. I'll keep those when I begin work on the final release. Right now, I'm just happy to almost have the beta out.

glaber said:
You do know your image tags are broken right?
No I did not. Meh, I'll try to fix it.

Those screenshots are telling you something, raise the sprite offset up by at least 3 or so. Cause currently the character is IN the ground.

Senku Niola said:
Those screenshots are telling you something, raise the sprite offset up by at least 3 or so. Cause currently the character is IN the ground.
That doesn't happen in software mode, although even official characters will do that in OpenGL mode, as seen here...
srb200135.png

Monster Iestyn said:
And if the character offsets were raised, wouldn't that make the characters look like they're tiptoeing?

No, because they would be at the correct "floor level."

Maybe we should just make the feet flat so that way they wont be tiptoeing and their feet wont be in the ground.

If SRB2 had the sprite clipping options that GZDoom had then some of that could be prevented without changing any sprites.

Besides, characters look slightly shorter in OpenGL anyway because of the Paper-Sonic thing and the camera angle.

Heh, leave it to you say what's on everyone's mind, I'll Begin. I kind of thought that it was software mode that made her look short. Anyways, one more set of frames to go, then I put this into submissions. Wish me luck! (well, you don't have to, but it would be nice.)

The Releases section is reserved for completed WADs only, Angelus. It'd just get thrown in the trash, because Tikal is still just a beta, which isn't even close to finished and using a lot of placeholder sprites.

Not really. I only have 5 left to complete. I was saying once I've completed them, I'm moving this into submissions. Sorry, I should've worded that more carefully.

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you're saying. Basically I'll post a new topic in editing containing the beta, and then when I'm ready for the final release, I put it in submissions. Sound like a plan?

I just now noticed your edit, Angelus. Why do you need to make another Tikal thread in editing? Users would likely continue discussing suggestions and posting sprite edits in the second Editing topic too, so why not just stick with this topic instead?

I guess that makes more sense. This is a WIP topic, after all. Anyways, It's almost done folks. Just 2 more sprites and the first tikal beta is out. Well, technically 1 and 1/2, because I started on one and need to finish. After that, I'll be into working on the final release and the human mod that me and Nicky have been planning for a month.

Rejoice, people! Tikal's beta is finally here! I've already posted screenies a page back, so without anymore interruption, the download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mwyatjiimnj

Second order of business: Time to give people their dues.
Dr.Pepper: For all the walking and spring frames. And some climbing. Thanks again, man. ;)
Ground The Fox: His character select pic is the one I used until I can make another one.
My brother: The final beta tester.
And everyone else who was constructively critical to me during this WAD.

Now onto the third order of business: Time to begin working on Magorian, Illyana, Angelus, Nicky, Jade (Wow that's a lot to type), I will be dedicating time to each of these projects, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop work on Tikal. I will designate time for her each weekend.

And that brings up the last order of business: What to change from beta to final. As I said in my first post, I'm open to any reasonable suggestion. However, I'm also posting a list of what I already know needs to be done, so I don't have someone say "well, you should do ____"
So the following things are already taken into account:
Better spin frames!!!
Different character select pic
Make shading darker
Spin trail (this is personal opinion)
1-up icon

That's all I've got for now. I'll keep adding to this list regularly so that there are hopefully no repeat suggestions.

Later days, people.
--Angelus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back