• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Tikal Beta finally out! Now for the real thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ground The Fox said:
I have a better player text for tikal:

PLAYERTEXT = Medium
Glide/Climb
It handles
same as Knuckles,
it's a bit faster than
Knuckles, good for
beginners.

And those spinning sprites remind me Honey's jumping sprites, I'll see if I can do something for help at the WAD.
You read my mind...I tried editing that new char PIC but it was late.

Heh, I thought someone would try to make that connection (And I was right! Now my friend owes me some dough). I would like to clarify that they are close to, but are not actually honey's spin frames. I will admit to using those as a comparison, because I wasn't sure wheter I wanted to make her actually spin, or make her look like a ball of energy like in SADX. I have decided she will actually spin. That was one of the things mentioned in my "improvements list".
Okay, next suggestion, please...

Fix the hairs shading, its atrocious. Mainly from the back and backcorner, though.

Alright, good news, bad news:

Good news: I have made a decent dent into her shading by modifying my net version of her. And before anyone asks, the net version will not be released, because it's simply the version that I use to modify tikal. I change the net version, and if I don't like the change, I don't keep it. If I do, it goes into the WAD. That way I don't save something in the actual WAD that I don't want. Either way: the standing and idol frames are shaded.

Bad news: I'm not in any position where I can show you what I did, due to the fact that my laptop still refuses to connect. It detects the network, but not the internet (damn thing).

So when it is up and running, I'll show you what I've done. If that don't happen anytime soon, then I'll do what I can to get the pics uploaded.

Later days.

Offtopic: Just to let you know, the "idol" in "idol frames" should be "idle". "Idle" isn't the same as "Idol", which means "a false god". I'm just letting you know that so you'll know how to spell it right, and I'm not trying to make you look silly in any way. ;)

Whoops. *turns red* Sorry, my mind was on a philosophy paper I have due about the book of Exodus, so I think you can imagine how that happened. Thanks, Iestyn.

Well, anyway, my ideas for the idle frames is that she will either kneel and pray, or I even thought about her putting her hands behind her back and swaying her hips. Which one sounds better?

Originally, I thought she should be playing with a chao or something, but that'll go in as her character select pic instead. (I also thought that if I release a net version of her, she would squeeze it...hard.. >:D Yah, I know, I'm twisted)

Ice cold....
Anyway, thank you for digging this topic up. I need to work on her tonight for a while so that she may have some halfway decent spin frames. I'll dish out more detail tomorrow.

Damn people. It's been...like...months. It's about time I dug up this ancient topic, because I've actually had a chance to break away from schoolwork and get XWE up and running (Honestly, if I didn't know any better, I'd say teachers don't want students to have a life)

Anyway, here's what I've decided to do with her shading:

It's kind of a toss-up: I like this shading, but I also think it looks too dark. Anyone have anything to say?

And here's proof of her spin frames:

Again, not sure whether I like this or not. If not, I'll just pitch them and start over.

Questions? Comments? Let me know.

First thing I have to say is that the eyes are just a bit too big. While they still took up a good part of her face, I don't think she had the obnoxiously sized eyes that Sonic and Knuckles did. Also, her shirt (or whatever you want to call it) seems too stretched. In a sprite that small, I don't think you'd see as much of her belly. Her feet should also probably be smaller than they are in that picture.

As for the shading, its kind of hard to tell what the real difference is... However, I do think that you need to replace the black on the lower outline of the skirt with some kind of dark green or something.

Also, does she have those little bandages around every spine, or just a few?

Other than that, I like the overall appearance of the sprite. Though I kind of wonder why every single character needs to have Sonic's smile. I wonder if Tikal would look different if it was placed a little bit lower and closer to the center. (instead of showing the corner of the smile)

I'll try to reply to these in order:

Usually when Tikal doesn't have her eyes shut, they take up half of her face, kind of like Tails' eyes.

And she also does expose quite a bit of her stomach, almost like a bikini, but I have no plans of drawing something that kinky.

And yes, her feet probably should be smaller. But the smaller I make them, the weirder they look. I'll see what I can do to shape them up, but I make no guarantee.

The shading is different. The reason it's so dark is because the way she's currently colored, she looks like one of those orange ice cream bars.

The bandages, I'm not too sure about. I'll have to check my reference pic. I do know that there are definitely bandages on the front spines.

You got me on that one. I tried to make her frown originally. I didn't like it too much, so I went back to a smile.

Angelus_the_echidna said:
And she also does expose quite a bit of her stomach, almost like a bikini, but I have no plans of drawing something that kinky.

I understand that, but what I mean is that in a small sprite, it wouldn't really be noticeable. What is currently exposed on the sprite would be an awful lot more if that was the full size. Generally, a good size for belly on a sprite that size is 1-2 pixels.

I might try experimenting with the smile, I don't think she'd have to have that cocky corner-smile that Sonic has...

I see what you're drivin' at, JEV3. I'll see what I can do about that. The belly, definitely. The mouth might take some experimenting.

Jellybones69 said:

AUGH
How about I say "revealing"? Will that make you feel better?
But seriously I agree with what Chrispy said when he released rouge. Sonic is supposed to be a kids game, it isn't supposed to have women with big knockers wearing revealing clothing.

No, no. Kinky is fine. It's just...that word.....

I haven't been reading this topic, but how do plan on making her control?

How about I say "revealing"? Will that make you feel better?
But seriously I agree with what Chrispy said when he released rouge. Sonic is supposed to be a kids game, it isn't supposed to have women with big knockers wearing revealing clothing.

Of course, Nitro/Chrispy felt the need to make a hypocrite of himself with every single female character in the original topic... It shouldn't be relevant in Tikal's case anyway.

newtikalto3.png

Anyways, I noticed that changing the direction of the shirt actually made it a lot better looking, and its pretty uniformly two-pixels which looks about right for a little Aztec princess. I also tried messing with the smile a bit. I didn't try messing with the shoes just because I have a hard time emulating the crazy anti-aliasing that all of these character sprites always have.

Ooh, that does look better. Is it cool if I use that?

@Jellybones: She runs like knux and glides a lot faster than he does. So she's best for people who are really good with Knux, because sometimes her speed can be a little unforgiving. I made her resemble her SA2B self since it's the only game where she's a playable character (she's wicked fast, but her sensing ability sucks)

JEV3 said:
Of course, Nitro/Chrispy felt the need to make a hypocrite of himself with every single female character in the original topic... It shouldn't be relevant in Tikal's case anyway.
Uhm, what? What do you mean I'm making a hypocrite of myself? I honestly do believe that the female characters (mainly Rouge) are too sexual for the age range of sonic fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back