The return of Swine Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
One problem, though--Bird flu can't pass from person to person, and swine flu can. Also, in 1918, when a strain of swine flu killed tens of millions of people, it was mild when it first appeared, but mutated into something deadly in a couple months.

Nevertheless, people are overreacting in general. Despite the fact that swine flu is spreading rapidly, we're better prepared for it. We know what makes it tick, and we are developing a vaccine. It's good to be cautious, but not to panic.

fawfulfan said:
One problem, though--Bird flu can't pass from person to person, and swine flu can.

Fawful, that part of your statement is completely incorrect. Bird Flu can be spread by human to human by airbourne, can be ingested by breathing the infected particles, direct contact from infected poultry to humans, and risky being in the area of the infected poultry too as it is an Zoonotic disease meaning it can be caught of from any other animals, or any other humans which are infected by the virus or any disease/virus for that matter, although it's said that human to human part of transmission is not as common as the poultry to human part of the transmission.

Hyperknux said:
fawfulfan said:
One problem, though--Bird flu can't pass from person to person, and swine flu can.

Fawful, that part of your statement is completely incorrect. Bird Flu can be spread by human to human by airbourne, can be ingested by breathing the infected particles, direct contact from infected poultry to humans, and risky being in the area of the infected poultry too as it is an Zoonotic disease meaning it can be caught of from any other animals, or any other humans which are infected by the virus or any disease/virus for that matter, although it's said that human to human part of transmission is not as common as the poultry to human part of the transmission.

Every single source I've ever seen says that Bird Flu cannot be transmitted from person to person--only from infected poultry.

It's on North Carolina already, but as long as it's not in my city, and it won't affect anyone I know, I won't care. Besides, I might go to Massachusetts for a few weeks near June, so it's even better for me.

Atleast most of you, I say most since I don't really know were you all live, don't have to deal being very close to the boarder. The Texas boarder that is.

fawfulfan said:
Every single source I've ever seen says that Bird Flu cannot be transmitted from person to person--only from infected poultry.

Then the sources must be wrong. It can be transmitted from person to person although like I said, it is not as common as it is from infected poultry to human.

Can you give me a credible source that says it can be transmitted from person to person? If you can, I'll admit I'm wrong.

Someone told me that there are scares that the bird flu and the swine flu merging together to form something without vaccinations and that it could be really bad for us if it did happen.
So... flying pig flu anyone?

super said:
Someone told me that there are scares that the bird flu and the swine flu merging together to form something without vaccinations and that it could be really bad for us if it did happen.

Yeah, because the person that told you that isn't a total idiot.

super said:

Viruses can't "merge" together. A bigger fear is that the swine flu might mutate in a similar manner as the strain in the summer of 1918. The result would be an extremely deadly and extremely contagious virus that could spread over the world and kill tens, even hundreds of millions of people. But we could still develop a vaccine, so I'm not that worried.

Maybe he's referring to my utterly sarcastic comment, which really can't be taken literally. =P

Well, you never can tell. It's not like I can hear the tone of his voice. When I'm speaking to someone in real life, I can pick out sarcasm easily, but not online.

You don't need to worry about it. For now, it's no deadlier than normal strains of the flu. Yeah, it's killed some people, but the regular flu actually kills people too. Common flu is actually the most common cause of disease-related death in the United States, and has been for decades.

I wonder if eventually since there are starting to be sooooo many versions of the flu if there will be like a cat flu or dog flu or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back