Super Mario Galaxy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you stop. Typing like this?
Why in the world do you keep nitpicking at my posts? This is probably the 25th time you did this. I'm sorry if my grammar isn't perfect like yours!

(Now to go on with my post..)

What about Sonic 06's hub world? Didn't that one have new cities as you progressed the game? Did you like it that way?

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 both have a very different style of gameplay than SM64 and SMS did. SMG plays a lot more like SMB3 and SMW did, with simple, linear stages with a few secrets. SM64 is more of an open-world exploration game that requires you explore small, non-linear stages to find secrets.

It's a completely different design of game, and I actually like both quite a lot.

Alright... this game is now done 100%.

This was quite a challenge, but it wasn't good enough, not even *that* galaxy took many lives.

Heck, I'm sure certain stars/Prankster Comets took me more tries than that, really.

The Galaxy I was talking about is called, wait for it, Grandmaster Galaxy, which puts you to the ultimate test, it's one of the hardest Galaxies here, and you wanna know what Prankster Comet appears here? A Speedrun? Purple Coins? Etc.?

No, it's a Daredevil Comet, there are also no Checkpoints during this Comet, meaning that a simple screw up will send you right back at the start of the Galaxy, and to unlock the Comet, you need 9999 Starbits stored in the Toadbank, 241 Stars, and all 49 Comet Medals. (You need 240 Stars just to unlock the Galaxy itself.)

I wish you luck for those that are attempting to get this Star, you will need it, as it took me 10 tries just to get this Star. Make sure you stockpile lives just in case you fail a few times.

If you do manage to get the 242th Star, then congratulates, you just cleared Super Mario Galaxy 2 100%!

Last edited:
How's it work out when you have to switch from the Wiimote to the Nunchuck? It sounds pretty difficult to do and like it'd be pretty annoying to do in difficult situations when you need to do so.

How's it work out when you have to switch from the Wiimote to the Nunchuck? It sounds pretty difficult to do and like it'd be pretty annoying to do in difficult situations when you need to do so.
Wait, what do you mean? I don't recall you having to switch controllers.

Wait, what do you mean? I don't recall you having to switch controllers.

Are you serious? You use the pointer for several gimmicks in the game -- Yoshis, objects that pull you, etc.
You either forgot somehow (though I'm surprised as you see a pointer as you play the game) or you're (as usual) in a discussion you don't know anything about.

Autosaver said:
Why in the world do you keep nitpicking at my posts? This is probably the 25th time you did this. I'm sorry if my grammar isn't perfect like yours!
I don't care if the grammar's bad as long as the reading flow isn't broken.

Autosaver said:
What about Sonic 06's hub world? Didn't that one have new cities as you progressed the game? Did you like it that way?
I guess. Banjo-Kazooie (and its sequel) had very well-done hub worlds because they expand as you play. Not only did it make you feel like you're making progress, the areas felt big and there were things to explore. If the next Mario game has a hub, that is how I'd want it to be done.

Last edited:
Are you serious? You use the pointer for several gimmicks in the game -- Yoshis, objects that pull you, etc.
You either forgot somehow (though I'm surprised as you see a pointer as you play the game) or you're (as usual) in a discussion you don't know anything about.
That's completely uncalled for, there.

The game uses the Wiimote and Nunchuck simultaneously. You don't have to "switch" between them.

He probably just worded it wrong, and I fell into his trap. Mocked...
Ugh... -_-

This was quite a challenge, but it wasn't good enough, not even *that* galaxy took many lives.
Was this game at least a bigger challenge then the first game? I've played the first one, but only a couple galaxies. It wasn't too hard.

I'm nearly done with the game. All I can say is thank god there isn't a Rolling Gizmo-type galaxy in this one.

Lubba was a much better idea than Rosalina. She felt so...stale, with no emotions. Even tough Lubba's puns are somewhat bad, he was a much better idea.

I was glad I saw no blowing galaxies or ones where all you do is use a pull star-Those where the most hardest and annoying(especially blowing), and I'm glad they were out of the game.

I wished that co-op had better ideas. I wanted to be able to let the second player grab their nunchuck and play Luigi or Mario. It's almost the same as SMG1, except they can now grab items...whooo.

Was this game at least a bigger challenge then the first game? I've played the first one, but only a couple galaxies. It wasn't too hard.

It is much harder than the first one (got a tad frustrating for me a few times, but whatever). I would say around SMB3 hard; it's challenging yet not too hard most of the time.

Though I have to ask Nintendo a simple question.
Why, out of all the items you had to get rid of, you got rid of one the most unique power-ups in SMG, you just had to get rid of Ice Mario? And to add insult to injury you keep Spring Mario? Why Nintendo, why?

Its odd as they took out Ice Mario. As it was just in NSMB Wii...

fff, can't get spoiler to work. Oh well.. it doesn't need one anyways.

[ spoiler=insert warning here ]Insert text here[ /spoiler ]

Remove the spaces and it becomes:

Insert text here

I did it to be on the safe side; you never know if someone doesn't want to know about it.

What about the Spyro games? They featured a series of hub worlds, rather than just one, so there was still some sense of progression in the games.

Even then, there were only about three main little areas to progress through, all with arches that would teleport you to different levels. I like feeling like I'm actually traveling from place to place, progressing logically (beach -> jungle -> village -> mountain -> volcano -> etc.), rather than teleporting to different biomes in random order just to collect some arbitrary artifact. In fact, this is the only game in which I think it's excusable, considering that you're traveling from planet to planet.

A great example of the kind of progression I like is the level select from Crash Bandicoot 1. To get to previous levels, it'd look like you'd actually travel around the island to get to it, instead of teleporting from some ridiculous hub map.

A great example of the kind of progression I like is the level select from Crash Bandicoot 1. To get to previous levels, it'd look like you'd actually travel around the island to get to it, instead of teleporting from some ridiculous hub map.
Well, I kinda liked the warp rooms in subsequent games because it had a hub world feel without any loss of sequence. It sorta fit those games. I could have liked the map in Crash Bandicoot 1 more if it wasn't accompanied by that damn saving system. IMO, that saving system completely ruined what would otherwise have been a fantastic game.

Got the game today, boy it's fun. I thought the whole pointer thing with the star bits and yoshi's tongue would only get in the way, but it all works surprisingly well. Combine that with some entertaining platforming and superb graphic styling and I think I've got my entertainment for the rest of the year.

I've had the game since last Saturday, but since I've been busy doing work around the house, watching Star Trek: TNG, and dealing with Memorial Day... I've only just now beat the final boss.

I rather like how they don't abuse the gimmicks. Some powerups don't even come into play until the end of the game, and for a game with yoshi on the cover they don't really put him in THAT many galaxies either. Something I also liked is that the average star-per-galaxy ratio appears to be 3 rather than 8. It makes the progression through the game feel a little bit smoother because the level is still fresh when you leave it behind, making you want to play it again EVEN if you don't need any stars for it.

Some of the music is quite good. Some old ones returning that really excited me the moment I heard them, other new ones that were downright epic. My favorite galaxy so far might be "Space Storm Galaxy" which totally blew the "battle" galaxies in SMG1 away.
I rather liked the feel of Slimy Spring Galaxy, the music had that echoing ambiance that really works in that kind of level. Deep Dark Galaxy was a bore, as far as I was concerned, but this one felt refreshingly confined.

World 6-1

Boy, what an entrance. This is the first time the song shows up in the game, and it doesn't show up until the last cluster of galaxies before the final boss. The level itself was pretty good, which was a pleasant surprise considering most lava levels tend to be uninspired.p

I never expect much from Mario bosses, but if only Bowser took twice as many hits, I didn't even get to hear the music loop. With that said the music leading up to the boss I think I liked better than SMG1's final music. Not necessarily in terms of quality, but it sounds like a song I'd expect to hear in castle in the sky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back