Super Mario Galaxy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JEV3, you'll be surprised at the actual number of stars. Just wait until you get 120 and beat Bowser again...

Also, before getting the game I heard it was supposed to be much harder than the first Mario Galaxy. Two or three days later it's been 100%ed, which was faster than I was with the first one or Sunshine or 64 in which I should really try to get those last ten power stars. Now where's SMG3, Nintendo?

Last edited:
I mean the galaxy per star ratio. In the old one there were two to three normal stars, often a hidden star or two, a prankster comet, and a purple star comet for each one. Then when you go for 240 stars with luigi, you repeated all six-to-eight(ish) stars for each galaxy over again.

Considering whatever happens requires me to get 120 first, I suspect that the stars will still be distributed in the same manner.

I have 120 stars and I have to say that the game's second part feels less like cheap padding than the Luigi stars in the first game. Makes up for the ridiculously easy boss.

I really enjoy some of these green stars, but one of them had me wondering for a moment if I was playing some kind of ROM hack. It took me 55:27:38 minutes to clear that first green star in Cyclone Rock Galaxy. Surely its far less extreme for someone that is more used to the game, but it took me forever to not only figure it out, but to come up with a practical way to pull it off.

So there's a Super Mario Sunshine Galaxy, too? Or is it just something that slightly resembles SMS?

I believe its just a level.

There is also Super Mario 64 Galaxy.

It's called Throwback Galaxy, to be more specific.

And yes, Ricco Harbor's Secret of the Lighthouse Shine and one of Super Mario Galaxy's Beach Bowl stars is in the game. And so is Mario Squared, the Toy Time Galaxy area with the 8-bit Mario and Luigi. And Luigi's Purple Coins, which got harder. There's also a boss rush with all the old SMG bosses.

Last edited:
I wanted to see a sunshine themed galaxy, like Sirena Beach. Starshine beach is just a dumb way to tack on a tutorial that yoshi with the dash pepper can go over water. wooo

By calling it a tutorial, you imply that it becomes one of the central gimmicks, but if I remember correctly, the dash pepper on water was exclusive to Starshine Galaxy. (And there's only a few water galaxies anyway, and each one's quite different)

Starshine Galaxy basically holds the same place as Beach Bowl Galaxy, except it is more interesting.

Just got the game today and here's my current review of it.

Graphics: Looks beautiful, probably some of the best I've seen in a Mario game yet.

Gameplay: MUCH Better than the first. It introduces tons of new powerups, enemies, gimmicks and the new levels look & play great.

Difficulty: Definetely harder and more challenging than the first Super Mario Galaxy, but once you get used to all the controls and how things work in the game, the challenges are good fun.

Lifespan: This will get you hooked on it for hours, this is a definete try out if you like Mario games or adventure games for that matter.

Rating: 9/10

Just got this game because of a good report and OH YES I LOVE YOU MY PARENTS.

This game is amazing. I'm already up to 25 stars and 14 comet medals. I got to world 3 but my back was aching from so much awesome/slouching on a pool table while playing this awesomeness. Even the Fluzzard-bird part, which people dislike, wasn't too bad for me because it reminded me of Ray surfing, except less stupid because you couldn't fall off, just get hurt.

Also I am kind of late to the party because I COME FROM EUROPE AND THEY STAGGERED THOSE DARNED RELEASE DATES.

Even the Fluzzard-bird part, which people dislike, wasn't too bad for me because it reminded me of Ray surfing, except less stupid because you couldn't fall off, just get hurt.
-----
I kinda was annoyed by those galaxies mainly due to these a few times.

Head on collisions into walls are insta-kills. (Mostly caused when I was trying to clear those gates that unlock the Comet Medal at the end.) Just scraping the sides of the walls hurt you for 1 Health.

The water in the 1st Glide Galaxy can insta-kill you if you dive head on into it, if you don't, you'll just bounce off of it.

The lava in the 2nd Glide Galaxy is a insta-kill if you dive head on into it, if not head on, you lose 1 Health.

Oh and not even 6 Health is enough to protect ya from the instant death. >_>
-----
You wouldn't believe me of how many lives I wasted just to find the 2nd Green Star in the 2nd Glide Galaxy, the first one was just... easy to get, just dive down before you start and you'll slam into it.

Where was the 2nd Green Star? Near the start somewhere? Near the end?

No, it was BEHIND A PILLAR THAT CRASHES DOWN ONTO YOU. Easily missed. I even had to look up a guide for this one. >_>

Last edited:
Too bad. ^_-

Anyways, the game deserves to be #1 best reviewed game. It takes an awesome game and improves it to be even better.

Yes indeed. Which reminds me; I still need to get another 100 or so stars to finish the game.

Me and my brother are borrowing it from my friend. Right now, as I'm typing this, he's playing it. He's on World 2 (we got it yesterday, and we were out of the house the whole morning today).

Autosaver said:
Mario Galaxy 2 is now the best game of all time.
On Gameranking, yes, but Ocarina of Time is rated higher on Metacritic. If you add the game's two scores from both sites, Ocarina of Time is higher-rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back