Suggestions

um, no. They don't just stop you from thoking and/or gliding. I don't know where you got that idea.
It's very rare that a custom ability ever actually lets the player thok. In most cases, it stops him and does something else. I do agree with you though that it could be useful to actually let the player perform their ability but affect that ability in some other way. I take back my previous statement, a glideitem could actually be useful (although probably open doors to lots of overpowered characters).

I believe a user once said "you can do virtually anything with SOCs."
Not really. SOCs are restricted to actions that are harcoded into the game. There are lots of things you can't do without a source code mod, as SRB2Morphed has shown.

what about the actual GOOD suggestions? :|
Those are the 0.0001% percent. Let's face it, almost every suggestion here won't be implemented because one or more of the following applies.

• It's just a terrible idea.
  • It's not possible to implement or would take more effort than reasonable.
  • It would break game balance.
  • It adds absolutely nothing to the game.
Aside from that, I do think we should try out the subforum format. You could just lock or even delete stupid suggestions, and you could even infract people for suggesting really stupid things (only if they're really stupid, of course).

• It's not possible to implement or would take more effort than reasonable.
  • It adds absolutely nothing to the game.
Uhm what and what? EVERYTHING takes effort, I doubt that SOME of the ideas in these 90 pages or so take a huge crap load of effort.

Obviously it would be adding something to the game, you don't get nothing out of something.

Uhm what and what? EVERYTHING takes effort, I doubt that SOME of the ideas in these 90 pages or so take a huge crap load of effort.

Obviously it would be adding something to the game, you don't get nothing out of something.
Now wait, I didn't say EVERY suggestion applies to EVERY of these criteria. I said MOST apply to at least one of them. Also yes, there have been lots of ideas in here that would add nothing to game (and in, not make it any better).

I feel like there are some good ideas that are promptly buried under a landslide of stupid ideas and thus never really get a sufficient chance to make themselves heard.
sonans.gif

そうなんす。

It's not like I'm happy either, but just read a couple of pages in the thread. The ratio of actual good ideas to... everything else is so ridiculous that a Suggestions forum might as well be a fluff forum. I WISH every good suggestion ever made was properly noticed and thought about, but you can't really do that without promoting elitism.

Last edited:
Um, can I add onto these suggestions system?

A frequently asked question system. Come on, let's face it, there's nothing more annoying to you people here than hearing some brand new member ask the same exact question asked 40 previous times by 40 different members. I honestly think that questions that have been answered and won't be put into it in a F.A.Q. format would save the whole entire board space. The only exception is if someone gives a valid argument that would go against what was said in the F.A.Q. that holds true as a statement that sounds logical as opposed to "I want this" and it comes to the point where it seems to need to be discussed again.

Wait, Are you saying we need a new one, or that we don't have one?
The main problem with the F.A.Q. is that nobody sees it. If you aren't logged in it appears on the top of the site, but everyone just goes to help and asks "How do I host?" and makes everyone mad and say "Read the Wiki F.A.Q!

So the main problem is them seeing the F.A.Q. before thinking "I'm the only one with this problem."

It's very rare that a custom ability ever actually lets the player thok. In most cases, it stops him and does something else. I do agree with you though that it could be useful to actually let the player perform their ability but affect that ability in some other way. I take back my previous statement, a glideitem could actually be useful (although probably open doors to lots of overpowered characters).

Yeah, it could be useful ^_^

And enen though it could open doors to overpowered characters, well, who cares? Just because someone CAN make one doesn't mean that EVERYONE will. In fact, an overpowered character can be made with the current Thokitem by just spawning armageddon shields (oh god I gave ideas). Honestly, if someone makes a dumb WAD, who cares? Don't download it. The judges will probably reject it anyway. And if it's on a server, leave it. Set one up with a friend. :E

EDIT: also, how about skyboxes? :O

Last edited:
Not sure if this was suggested already, but whatever

How 'bout the supercolor thing back?

Just saying, cuz some characters may look better in another color while super instead of just Yellow, just like Knux is Pink, and maybe some other characters would look better with Gold instead of Yellow

Not sure if this was suggested already, but whatever

How 'bout the supercolor thing back?

Just saying, cuz some characters may look better in another color while super instead of just Yellow, just like Knux is Pink, and maybe some other characters would look better with Gold instead of Yellow

I definitely second this notion.

And enen though it could open doors to overpowered characters, well, who cares?
I am of that opinion too, but the devs are trying to restrict overpowered characters as much as possible to prevent things like SMS/HMS to happen again. But since both of them were only really overpowered through the use of a custom executable, I think that won't work.

EDIT: also, how about skyboxes? :O
AFAIK, Cinefast was trying to implement that. But you could say that about a ton of things, so don't expect actual progress ;)

Not that this is ever gonna happen but, cant the textures have a higher resolution, more detail? (on sprites too).

Also (and I know this one is never going to change but,) Why do I feel like I'm playing an old 8-bit game in the 21st century? Add more (ALOT) more colors to the pallet. I was in SRB2DB and I added a Brick wall texture and the texture in SRB2DB didn't even look remotely like the original TEXTURE. It was pink, light pink and white The bricks I added were Darkish red and had lots of detail (even for a 128X128).

Not that this is ever gonna happen but, cant the textures have a higher resolution, more detail? (on sprites too).

Also (and I know this one is never going to change but,) Why do I feel like I'm playing an old 8-bit game in the 21st century? Add more (ALOT) more colors to the pallet. I was in SRB2DB and I added a Brick wall texture and the texture in SRB2DB didn't even look remotely like the original TEXTURE. It was pink, light pink and white The bricks I added were Darkish red and had lots of detail (even for a 128X128).
You're right. This is never going to happen.

SRB2 is more oriented towards the classic games, which (if I recall correctly) had even more limited palettes and didn't focus on realistic shading, but more on cartooniness, and SRB2 is mainly directed towards trying to emulate that in 3D. Aside from that, the Doom Legacy engine doesn't even support more than 256 colors, so more detail on the textures and sprites is kinda impossible (and really, they're good as they are).
If you like having more colors and realism, please go play another game.
Also, I applaud you for using SRB2DB of all things to import a texture, becuase last time I checked, that's impossible. And you obviously didn't recolor that texture to SRB2's palette with an image editing program, which is the solution to fixing your dark red texture to not use pink and white.

Here's a simple idea that would REALLY improve the flexibility of unlockables.

Linedef Executor Trigger: Check Unlockables
The length of the linedef would indicate the number of the unlockable to check. It will only trigger if the unlockable has been achieved, obviously. This would allow for custom unlockables to trigger events within levels, which would be a huge boon to mods.

Also, here's a variant:

Linedef Executor Trigger: Check Unlockables (Level Load)
Same thing, except that it would function like Linedef Type 399. It would check the unlockables at level load, instead of waiting to be called by a sector special or something.

Some NiGHTS Sector Special thoughst.
"Force Stop for NiGHTS mode". Or, even more ideally,"Adjust NiGHTS speed" where the linedef length determines what speed to adjust the speed to. Some variants would possibly be nice, such as "Adjust NiGHTS Speed - Retain Minimum Speed" and "Adjust NiGHTS Speed - Force maximum speed", where the length would determine what the minimum and maximum speeds are.

Here's a simple idea that would REALLY improve the flexibility of unlockables.

Linedef Executor Trigger: Check Unlockables
The length of the linedef would indicate the number of the unlockable to check. It will only trigger if the unlockable has been achieved, obviously. This would allow for custom unlockables to trigger events within levels, which would be a huge boon to mods.

Also, here's a variant:

Linedef Executor Trigger: Check Unlockables (Level Load)
Same thing, except that it would function like Linedef Type 399. It would check the unlockables at level load, instead of waiting to be called by a sector special or something.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=30800&page=74#1462

This isn't really a suggestion for SRB2, but I'm posting it anyway. Reconfigure the Suggestions process the same way as Bug Reports. That is, instead of a massive, bulky thread, make it into a subforum. Then, the mods can attach prefixes to each suggestion, such as "Assigned Suggestion", "Used Suggestion", "Invalid Suggestion", "Duplicate Suggestion" and so forth.

It really makes sense when you think about it. The Bug Reports subforum seems to have made it a lot easier both for people to make their discoveries heard and for the devs to address each one. I bet that we would get the same kind of benefit from doing that to suggestions, too.
While Inuyasha already pointed this out, I'd just like to note for everyone that this exact thing has been brought up in dev a lot of times and I shot it down for the reason Inuyasha gave. While Bug Reports works great for its intended purpose, a majority of bug reports are legitimate, intelligent reports. Even if something trivial or invalid is reported, those are in the minority compared to legitimate problems.

Suggestions is the exact opposite. A subforum for suggestions would be like a spam forum if unmoderated, and a completely locked forum if moderated. A significant majority of the suggestions posted in this topic are completely stupid. A significant proportion of the remaining ideas are completely impractical. The advantage of this single topic is that stupid crap does get lost in the shuffle, while good ideas are more likely to generate a discussion.

I do indeed read this topic on a regular basis and ideas that are in fact part of that 0.001% do indeed get discussed in #'dev. If you think you have a really good idea that you feel was ignored, feel free to bring it up in #'fun as well as here for feedback, or even trying to implement it yourself. People who are willing to put forth effort to see their idea come to fruition are far more likely to see results.

There are more modern versions of Doom Legacy, but at this point SRB2 isn't really Doom Legacy anymore, it's based on Doom Legacy. We can't just apply some kind of patch to upgrade to a never version; we'd have to actually apply all of the changes we've made to Legacy to the newer version, one at a time.

Create more sectors that can move horizontally or improve the polyobject to have a visible top and bottom.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back