STJR after SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, uh, I've been wondering... Do any of you developers plan on using your work in SBR2 to apply for game design school or something like that?

So, uh, I've been wondering... Do any of you developers plan on using your work in SBR2 to apply for game design school or something like that?

Game Design schools? I'd like to think I won't end up at one of those places, since they generally don't really know how to design games, after all, anyone that knows how to make games wouldn't be teaching, would they? Teaching salary is pathetic in comparison to a game developer (and guess who has the easier life).

I could certainly use some of the work done as part of a portfolio, network packets and such always look good, even if you're going into Network Management and Administration. I dunno about the others. I think 'Helped manage a community of over 3000 members and regular activity' may look good too, after all technically we have, regardless of how many actually post. =P

Applied to a few game companies. Didn't work, so I gave up. Besides, working in the game industry requires you to have no life. There are much easier jobs out there that pay just as much.

Besides, it's not like it only applies to game schools. You've worked on a huge project with a fairly large team and got some amazing results. That means quite a bit in a lot of businesses. (Assuming the rest of your resume is also good. :X)

Oh sure. I do what I've done for a long time... write database software.

I'd assume that once you take your skills and apply for more than just game design, your selection becomes far more broad. (however compromised that may be in today's economy) I chose a major I figured applies to an awful lot more than just game jobs. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt though.

EDIT:

For what its worth, half of my art portfolio is populated by SRB2 textures. Its not growing as fast as it was before this semester though. I wouldn't consider applying with my portfolio until its grown large enough that I get one this big after selecting only the choice bits... when the time comes, SRB2 may or may not be one of those choice bits. (I'm inclined to think the textures for TPZ will be, at least)

Last edited:
Actually, as a graduating student who still really needs a job, I wouldn't mind a few suggestions as to where to apply. I've certainly applied to several government jobs... never actually tried applying to a game company, and honestly not sure I want to (since I'd probably be stuck with QA, which I've heard is hardly a great job).

Actually, as a graduating student who still really needs a job, I wouldn't mind a few suggestions as to where to apply. I've certainly applied to several government jobs... never actually tried applying to a game company, and honestly not sure I want to (since I'd probably be stuck with QA, which I've heard is hardly a great job).

I have a friend who's 18/19 who works in IT now, albeit maybe not what you're looking for, but it's good reassurance that you can get something decent in that area at that age, I guess?

You're like me and would hate to work at Best Buy or something stacking shelves, I guess, huh? You could try a computer repair shop, if you're up for it and have the knowledge to boot, they could certainly do with some people who know what they're talking about in that area of work, because I generally find they don't, as do others (guess who they go to instead? - and end up rarely paying, thanks a lot parents...). They're always looking for fresh meat I'm sure, even if it's just to initiate recoveries through the recovery partitions and make backups, beats putting up rows of empty DVD cases.

I wouldn't go with a game company either, not straight away anyways, they won't give anyone anything decent till they're a highly experienced, well respected programmer who knows 30 different languages...backwards. I don't know about the government jobs across the pond, but I'd be steering clear of them too, personally. Small time computer shops (or maybe even a small development company...), as I said, are a great place to start.

The Army hires for crazy, if that is your thing. I know someone that visits the Sega message boards that is in the army. He gets paid a lot looking how advanced his computer is.

:O

The thing about the army, of course, is that they own your ass while you're in. I had a close family member with similar expertise who was called up to be on active duty at Fort Bliss for about two years. It's not the same as having him stationed overseas, but it was still a pretty big change.

Last edited:
Which odds are we should worry about this till 2.1 - 2.2.

If another Team map a Srb3, it would have to be on a engine you could mod easy. (quake, gzdoom, source) wadding/modding kinda made this game more popular.

I like those pictures on pg. 2...
What are they rendered on? If I know it, I will attempt to begin to figure out how to use it, copy its graphics...

No, wait! Find the source code, find how it renders graphics, and port that coding to SRB2. With some work, it will work, and may be less time-consuming than porting the entire game to a different engine.

Or it may not...

You think it's crazy? With those graphics, this game will hit the roof, moreso than it already has. I know some people who don't play games they like after the graphics become outdated. With that, we could draw in a huge crowd; add the gameplay, maybe get Sonic popular again, show it to Sega, and they either take our advice and try something similar or sue the shit out of us.

Only speculating, of course.

I like those pictures on pg. 2...
What are they rendered on? If I know it, I will attempt to begin to figure out how to use it, copy its graphics...

No, wait! Find the source code, find how it renders graphics, and port that coding to SRB2. With some work, it will work, and may be less time-consuming than porting the entire game to a different engine.

Or it may not...

You think it's crazy? With those graphics, this game will hit the roof, moreso than it already has. I know some people who don't play games they like after the graphics become outdated. With that, we could draw in a huge crowd; add the gameplay, maybe get Sonic popular again, show it to Sega, and they either take our advice and try something similar or sue the shit out of us.

Only speculating, of course.

That would be a huge task, you'd have to rewrite most of it, why do that when a little time spent adding lighting effects to the OGL renderer could achieve mostly similar graphics?

That being said, whenever I can be bothered to convert enough of SRB2 to use C++, I might just try and import Doom Legacy 2.0's OpenGL renderer.

Maybe this is a reason for some of us, to group together after srb2 is finished, and to carry on the SRB and Sonic fan games in a new team...

(I know, that sounds very epic! :D)

What are you talking about, "After SRB2"? SRB2 is open-source, under the GPL. And this means, that like DOOM, it will, in theory, never end. People will keep improving it more and more. Even if all the developers quit, it would still be continued by community members.
Ya mean, people wont stop making offical (Cant spell it...) zones? And an never ending game!?! Awesome!

I think it's understandable to have a tearful montage (using Sky Chase Zone's music of course) about the crazy times everyone's had taking part of developing and playing SRB2.

until 2110, this shall never happen.

Due to wads n stuff, others will keep making stuff for srb2, later srb2 shall spread and 1 million to 100 billion people will be playing.

However if people thing makin wads are boring eventually.... yeah that would be good.

OR SHALL SRB3 BE CREATED AND WE WILL REVIVE SRB?

*shot, bricked, rocked, shot again, thrown into lava, burned body taken out, tortured horribly.*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back