STJR after SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
srb3.png
Hey Look, Slopes!

Five years of wasted time to dazzle a game? They might as well of done it from the start if they wanted better quality. But seeing as this game's focus is gameplay, I wouldn't even bother. They already awed us with the creativeness of the levels.

Oh, sorry. I ment SRB3. I read it incorrectly. XD

That wasn't my point....
Your point, as I understood it, was that five years (if it would even take THAT long, and I honestly have my doubts about that) for a new-gen SRB would be somewhat pointless for the sake of prettier graphics. My point was that you can do a lot more with a modern gaming engine than just add prettier graphics. Namely, add things that probably should've been there in the first place, but were either impossible or extremely difficult to the point of not making much difference as far as the old engine is concerned.

That said...

Slopes, dude. Slopes. What's not to love? =(

Slopes, dude. Slopes. What's not to love? =(

Everything. Who needs slopes? Who needs Loops? Sonic is about speed and platforming. You don't need fancy effects like that for a fangame. A Sonic game because it's its trademark pretty much. But it should be mainly platforming.

*Violo hopes that a Sonic Team employee is reaing this.* :D

Everything. Who needs slopes? Who needs Loops? Sonic is about speed and platforming. You don't need fancy effects like that for a fangame. A Sonic game because it's its trademark pretty much. But it should be mainly platforming.

Exactly. They don't do much for gameplay. They were just a sort of gimmick in the old games. And especially loops don't translate well in 3D.

Be that as it may, they are still a fairly important component of gathering speed via risk and reward, and even disregarding that, is a massive hurdle to overcome as far as actual stage design is concerned. There's only so much you can do with flat surfaces and so much more you can do with angles, functionality and eye candy alike.

I also like how everyone thinks I'm trying to imply that slopes are the only thing to gain from an engine upgrade. There's more to it than that.
Exactly. They don't do much for gameplay. They were just a sort of gimmick in the old games. And especially loops don't translate well in 3D.
I beg to differ. It merely requires approaching the issue with the right physics and a degree of common sense. The translation is dependant on the developer, not the idea, and no two things are inherently incompatible with each other as long as the right tweaks are administered.

Not only the slopes, but the code structure would be much more practical since you're not hacking around a 15 year old engine. Don't forget about the frame rate, not locked to 35. Plus with coop map editing, its more easier to get around some creative friends and prototype a map together, WYSIWYG-style than being alone, staring at some four windows in a BSP editor (Radiant, QuArK, Hammer), compiling for minutes and hoping for the best when you test it.

I don't like the lazy "it's almost impossible" responses when dealing with a non-Doom engine. Sure it may be easier said than done, but it could be done when you're motivated to do it. The problem is, finding who is. STJR is probably burnt out by now after working on this free game for 10 long years in their spare time.

Last edited:
Well, to accomplish that you need massive knowledge of the specific engine and programming in general. If you got to that point where you were able to do it you probably might prefer to work on something that lets you earn some money... :-p

It's not so much a question of possibility but a question of who would be able to do it, who is willing to do it and who can efford enough time to do it. Commercial games usually evolve much faster and use much more up to date engines/mechanics than fan games but that's because of the dev team is bigger, has a better organisation and (most important) gets paid so that they don't have to starve somewhere in the middle of the developing process. ^^'

I also think that 5 years for porting srb2 to another engine is a very positive belief (creating the game as is took twice as much time).

LOOPS ARE AWSOME like mine in my mod (YOur not getting it yet because in gfz there is too big of a glitch) also the 5 years are Eggrock and Arid Canyon

Those screenshots on page 2 look pretty. I wonder if the game designed with a different engine could actually not delay the time it would take to finish the game. After all, the Doom engine is so outdated that it could possibly be much easier to create levels under a different engine. Getting it coded right would probably be a ***** though.

If I remember correctly, the Doom engine was the most advanced open source engine there was at the time.

I think that if there is a SRB3, it should combine the gimmicks of Blitz with the game play of SRB2. Or of couse they would just use the modified Doom engine and better graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back