STJR after SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you didn't even give us any proof you're actually doing something, just a few daydreams. You're not the first one who said he's gonna make SRB3, but you would be the first one to actually make it.
No, he's not, because we'll laugh him out of the forums and tell him that SRB3 doesn't exist. It never will exist, and to all of you who seem to want to make it, get your OWN name for your fangames.

Also, don't forget this hilarity: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=32261

Someone already beat him to the punch in making SRB3 and being laughed off the internet.

Last edited:
Read that topic that Mystic posted thoroughly, Cheese. It's a step by step guide on how not to create a game you intend to put on this forum, especially with 'tough crowds'.

---------------------------
Ok, this topic is kind of more on the 'Mystery Cheese' side of things, than STJR. Um, can we please get back to it? :D

One more thing, I just started, and yes, Manic and Sonia will be playable.
ANYWAYS...
What developers are sure that they can stay with STJR after Srb2 anyway?

STJr. isn't really a team as much as it is a group of people working on SRB2. When SRB2 is finished the "team" will completely disband. There is no SRB3. There is no nothing. We're already starting to move on with our lives, so the goal is simply to see SRB2 completed before we all run out of free time.

STJr. isn't really a team as much as it is a group of people working on SRB2. When SRB2 is finished the "team" will completely disband. There is no SRB3. There is no nothing. We're already starting to move on with our lives, so the goal is simply to see SRB2 completed before we all run out of free time.
I'd feel sorry for anyone who has no free time, they'd be working ALL day... D:

Some of us will move on with our lives, but others have their own SRB2 projects to finish. ;D

Making a fangame that's GOOD means that the makers put too much effort into it to begin with. Making a COMMERCIAL game with the ability to add custom characters would be badass but sadly doesn't exist yet (except that racer game but that's only racing...), so this is the closest thing to it. Unfortunately, SRB2 is non-profitable in every way, so I assume when it's finished, they'll send it to the public, let them do as they wish, and live their lives. They might visit the fourms every-so-often (Im not them so I dunno), but for the most part I assume they'd just move on.

Making a fangame that's GOOD means that the makers put too much effort into it to begin with. Making a COMMERCIAL game with the ability to add custom characters would be badass but sadly doesn't exist yet (except that racer game but that's only racing...), so this is the closest thing to it. Unfortunately, SRB2 is non-profitable in every way, so I assume when it's finished, they'll send it to the public, let them do as they wish, and live their lives. They might visit the fourms every-so-often (Im not them so I dunno), but for the most part I assume they'd just move on.

When SRB2 is done and dusted, this community will probably start to dissolve. People can say "It's got customs, it'll live through the community!" all they like but at the end of the day, it won't for long, especially with the amount of work required to make something decent of a map. Other games, you could probably dish out an awesome map in about half the time, but due to the way SRB2 works with linedefs and such, doing any sort of level design that has the audacity to cross over itself at different levels, amongst many other issues, makes SRB2 a rather nightmarish game to edit Not to mention the other problems like the poor scripting, to the point where to make anything spectacular like a new gametype, a whole new binary is needed. And let's not go into the player sprites vs. player MODELS debate, because it's pretty easy to tell which is better to work with.

In the end, maybe a year after the final release, this place will probably dissolve. You'll know it's starting when I release my MS source, because at that point, it will have been foreseen. =P

Last edited:
Although the community will probably dissolve like Cue said, people will probably go back and play through the game once again. Maybe once in a while someone will host a netgame. I can just imagine it. "SRB2: 5 Years Past". All the badniks are rusty, Sonic is modern, and the Greenflower Zone will have dead flowers. It's sad, if you think about it.

Hmm, there is the chance of community dissolve, but then again, even Doom and Duke Nukem 3d continue to get mods and maps. Why even Wolfenstein 3D still gets new maps and mods And support for those games were dropped years ago.

The way I see it, if something is easily modable enough, it will live on.

Last edited:
When SRB2 is done and dusted, this community will probably start to dissolve. People can say "It's got customs, it'll live through the community!" all they like but at the end of the day, it won't for long, especially with the amount of work required to make something decent of a map. Other games, you could probably dish out an awesome map in about half the time, but due to the way SRB2 works with linedefs and such, doing any sort of level design that has the audacity to cross over itself at different levels, amongst many other issues, makes SRB2 a rather nightmarish game to edit Not to mention the other problems like the poor scripting, to the point where to make anything spectacular like a new gametype, a whole new binary is needed. And let's not go into the player sprites vs. player MODELS debate, because it's pretty easy to tell which is better to work with.

In the end, maybe a year after the final release, this place will probably dissolve. You'll know it's starting when I release my MS source, because at that point, it will have been foreseen. =P

Do you know how much of a pain it is to edit Goldeneye 007 n64? Jeez, you need literally 5 different programs to edit and some things still have to be done manually. Even have to use hexadecimal every so often. We have it very EASY Cue, srb2 editing is a walk in the park compared to the editing hell that is GE. I gave up editing because I was just running around in circles with editing. Lindefs, Scripts, Things, and other stuff make editing easy.

The way I see it, if something is easily modable enough, it will live on.
Unfortunately, all the good mappers become parts of the dev team in this community, leaving only the mediocre ones to carry on once the game is finished. There, I said it.

Ah, but does not the good map maker start out mediocre? I should say that the beta maps by today's standards may be less than mediocre. Even the Tech demo and its second level that was added on later aren't really all that good, but looking at what we got in today's unmodded game, I'd think that even as official support winds down, a mediocre map maker will get better and may prove to provide some good maps possibly at 1.09.4 or 1.1 (#srb2fun demo) level quallitly.

And still, I wouldn't say that all the good map makers are on the dev team.

Unfortunately, all the good mappers become parts of the dev team in this community, leaving only the mediocre ones to carry on once the game is finished. There, I said it.
Because Mystic Realm was totally canned because I ended up on the dev team, right?

Ah, but does not the good map maker start out mediocre?

A major difference between the mappers on the Sky Sanctuary team and other mappers is that the former group is under a lot more pressure to push the limits of what is possible in the game by creating new gimmicks and incorporating them into level design. Without such lofty expectations of SRB2 fans (as well as fellow developers) for fun and innovative levels, it's harder to motivate non-dev mappers to push the envelope and create new gimmicks which lead to richer gameplay.

Just take a look at Mystic Realm. It essentially consists of increasingly-difficult jumping platforming, with a few sparse gimmicks thrown in. While I do think that Mystic Realm was swell back in the day, its potential for level design is much more limited than what is possible with the gimmicks that have been programmed for and implemented in SRB2 since then. Despite what masochistic pleasure one might derive from Mystic Realm, I think the majority of us will agree that the single-player campaign for SRB2 is better, or at least has the potential to be better, simply because there's more things for players to do.

tl;dr - I don't believe future mappers will have the same creative spark that the Sky Sanctuary team has now, not necessarily due to lack of talent and experience, but because the motivation to innovate will not be as stressed. If you want to become as good a mapper as Nev3r was or Mystic is, you'll have to attain their level of proficiency and then, somehow, set the bar higher.

Last edited:
Well, Mystic Realm had a far smaller toolbox of things to work with than we have for 2.0. Pretty much the only tool I had was FOFs, and I tried to use them in pretty much every way I could come up with (falling and floating creating passages in TVZ2, bobbing platforms crushing the player as the water rises, etc.).

This isn't to say that I couldn't have done better to produce original gimmicks and concepts for Mystic Realm, but I did have a very limited toolbox to work with. Pretty much any of the new stages for 2.0 uses far more than I had at my disposal for all of Mystic Realm.

I personally think 2.0's single player levels are FAR better than Mystic Realm ever was, even in their current half-complete state.

Do you know how much of a pain it is to edit Goldeneye 007 n64? Jeez, you need literally 5 different programs to edit and some things still have to be done manually. Even have to use hexadecimal every so often. We have it very EASY Cue, srb2 editing is a walk in the park compared to the editing hell that is GE. I gave up editing because I was just running around in circles with editing. Lindefs, Scripts, Things, and other stuff make editing easy.

Goldeneye 007 didn't have customisability as a selling point. Compared to a lot of games that offer this feature these days, SRB2 is very behind.

I personally think 2.0's single player levels are FAR better than Mystic Realm ever was, even in their current half-complete state.

Well, yeah, you didn't make all the 2.0 SP levels. ^_~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back