STH360 (50 % done) continues elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
HYPER SONILDOW said:
I made the waiting sprites ^^

If you played sonic ng before you can see that when sonic waits for a while he taps the top of his foot, I still need to work on the other sides.

Is the character going to be in the mod or will it be a separate download link?

In the next version, could you PLEASE lump together the levels and music as one WAD? I don't like having to do that myself.

fawfulfan said:
In the next version, could you PLEASE lump together the levels and music as one WAD? I don't like having to do that myself.
That would make the wad either too big or it would make it lag.

HYPER SONILDOW said:

If you played sonic ng before you can see that when sonic waits for a while he taps the top of his foot, I still need to work on the other sides.

He does? Then again, I don't wait long enough for them to go into their idle frames.

daiches99 said:
That would make the wad either too big or it would make it lag.
That would not make it lag, it'd just be a bit harder for 56k'ers to download.
fawfulfan said:
Keeping the music and levels separate is better Fawfulfan, as both Software and OpenGL versions wouldn't consume as much space. Why would you want two copies of the same music lumps on your harddrive? The music WAD by itself is going to become a lot larger, we don't need inconvenience 56'kers and people with little hard disk space just because one or so persons were too lazy to merge their own personal copies of the WADs. Merging WADs is not hard for even a lazy person to do.
Also, adding the NG Sonic into the main WAD would be pretty easy, and prevent most n00bs from abusing it online. SRB2 Star Wars' inclusion of R2-D2 being a good example.

If you are gonna make Sonic that tall, why not edit the player height within SOCing? That way collision makes sense. It's probably what I'm gonna do for my mod thing since I'm thinking of restarting my characters.

I downloaded STH360Software.WAD yesterday. I was quite disappointed with the new content.

Crisis City was absolutely atrocious. I am aware you're now going for custom design, but the design still felt like Sonic Team's. The cut-away views failed, and the rail grinding was really unnecessary. Try again.

White Acropolis, even in STH360Software.WAD, had horrible lag. Also, your gimmick of changing characters in runtime cannot be done properly in SRB2, anyway. The design itself was pretty bad, too. Try again.

I agree, the cut-away views were really unnecessary and didn't work that well, I kept falling of the rails every time I tried to land. The slowness of the rails and horrid spring placement was what really kills the level for me though, it's virtually impassable without using cheats or a gliding character.

I also think there should alternate ways around changing characters, like placing extra springs in places that can't be reached without flying. Maybe I just play as Blaze too much, but I absolutely hate that the stage isn't fully passable with the character you start it with, this isn't Sonic Heroes.

HYPER SONILDOW said:

awesome! good progress! much better than the other ng-sonic...

Dr.Pepper said:
I agree, the cut-away views were really unnecessary and didn't work that well, I kept falling of the rails every time I tried to land. The slowness of the rails and horrid spring placement was what really kills the level for me though, it's virtually impassable without using cheats or a gliding character.

I also think there should alternate ways around changing characters, like placing extra springs in places that can't be reached without flying. Maybe I just play as Blaze too much, but I absolutely hate that the stage isn't fully passable with the character you start it with, this isn't Sonic Heroes.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster" said:
I downloaded STH360Software.WAD yesterday. I was quite disappointed with the new content.

Crisis City was absolutely atrocious. I am aware you're now going for custom design, but the design still felt like Sonic Team's. The cut-away views failed, and the rail grinding was really unnecessary. Try again.

White Acropolis, even in STH360Software.WAD, had horrible lag. Also, your gimmick of changing characters in runtime cannot be done properly in SRB2, anyway. The design itself was pretty bad, too. Try again.

Ok so mainly you both want the camera veiws gone and no more camera modification, ok fine.

and for SWSM you want the character changing gone, Ok fine I don't care and what design.

you both want the rails gone ughhhhh (There's no point to this ughh OMFG. COME ON!!!!!!)

For Dr. Pepper you I fix'd the spring placement (there is not that much springs, What are you guys talking about) buut this is sonic nextgen.

This is really starting to get really stupid, but i'm listening to critism. gosh I know someone is going to go like "see that's your problem you never listen to crit *blah* *blah* *blah*! *gets an idea* =) you know what, the people who have critism what you'll have to do is show me what you can do to make it better and fix it. I'm like sitting here listening to your Critism and I'm doing all the work. Just pm me and I'll comment you on how you did. ( Someone might go "that's a terrible idea *blah* *blah* *blah*!")

I'm just frustrated now. wait come back! /._.\ I'm alone *cries* >~< ;_; How come everyone I talk to leaves me........;_;

HYPER SONILDOW said:
you both want the rails gone ughhhhh (There's no point to this ughh OMFG. COME ON!!!!!!)
Actually, the rails are a fake gimmick that doesn't really add to the gameplay, so I would agree that the rails are not necessary.

Unfortunately, my schedule is too busy, so I can't create an example a good '06 level for you. However, I've seen Chisuun's gameplay videos, so I believe I know what's the problem. I think, for the most part, the issue is that you're trying to recreate all of the gimmicks that made Sonic '06 positively noteworthy. This just doesn't work because SRB2 isn't strong in aesthetics, lacks slopes, and isn't designed to simulate Sonic Adventure gameplay. As a result, your loop de loops, rails, and camera affects are simply a reminder of why Sonic '06 cannot be properly ported onto SRB2. Since this, as I'm aware of, is what your mod mostly consists of, it's a serious problem that needs to be fixed.

My advice would be not to focus on attempting to recreate the affects Sonic '06. Remember: what makes a game fun is the elements that excite the player, drive them to continue playing it, and, even in the case of death, makes the player laugh instead of scream in anger. Go ahead and try to implement Sonic Team's level design, but if you see something that you think could be improved upon, then do it. And I really mean that when I say it too; be creative! Make the 1up placement a little more interesting, put in a different set of gimmicks... don't restrict yourself to simply trying to copy old levels.

I hope this helps you out some. On a related note, I don't think you should be working on this by yourself; SRB2 Riders is not a one-man job, and there's no reason why this should be one either. Get help from a volunteer that's good at what he does and is enthusiastic about making Sonic '06 better than it was before.

HS, read that post thoroughly. That is what will make this mod fun. It seems as though you rush your levels, don't spend time and effort in them. In my opinion, it would be better to miss the current contest to finish the level so that it'll be fit for the next contest, rather than to rush it for the current contest.

Blue Warrior said:
HYPER SONILDOW said:
Actually, the rails are a fake gimmick that doesn't really add to the gameplay, so I would agree that the rails are not necessary.

Unfortunately, my schedule is too busy, so I can't create an example a good '06 level for you. However, I've seen Chisuun's gameplay videos, so I believe I know what's the problem. I think, for the most part, the issue is that you're trying to recreate all of the gimmicks that made Sonic '06 positively noteworthy. This just doesn't work because SRB2 isn't strong in aesthetics, lacks slopes, and isn't designed to simulate Sonic Adventure gameplay. As a result, your loop de loops, rails, and camera affects are simply a reminder of why Sonic '06 cannot be properly ported onto SRB2. Since this, as I'm aware of, is what your mod mostly consists of, it's a serious problem that needs to be fixed.

My advice would be not to focus on attempting to recreate the affects Sonic '06. Remember: what makes a game fun is the elements that excite the player, drive them to continue playing it, and, even in the case of death, makes the player laugh instead of scream in anger. Go ahead and try to implement Sonic Team's level design, but if you see something that you think could be improved upon, then do it. And I really mean that when I say it too; be creative! Make the 1up placement a little more interesting, put in a different set of gimmicks... don't restrict yourself to simply trying to copy old levels.

I hope this helps you out some. On a related note, I don't think you should be working on this by yourself; SRB2 Riders is not a one-man job, and there's no reason why this should be one either. Get help from a volunteer that's good at what he does and is enthusiastic about making Sonic '06 better than it was before.

I don't know if it helped or not. I just SUCK okay! just admit it, I'm not that creative, I just try my best copying levels and you guys are all having critism to say. I just suck badly. I don't know what impresses you all and I don't know what people like. Why this mod sux badly, is because I think it's really cool, but then when I release it, you people critisize it. I just don't know what to do. This is too much for me. I don't know what else to make cool. I though that loops and trick ramps and some other cool stuff I putted in here was cool. What else do you think is awwsome? TELL ME PLEASE!!!!! This whole mod just sux because of me, I'm starting to get lazy. ( have you notice that when I create the levels real fast?) No there is no one to help me. I ask and then they bail. I ask and then they quit. I ask and then they leave. I think that what you guys think is then this mod gets old and then you guys just get bored. This stuff is about to make me say the 2 bad sad words The " I QUIT " words. I need some good ideas from some people, I didn't hear any ideas from anyone to make this mod awesome. I think a few times, but not any other ideas.
I FREAKIN SUCK AT MODS. If you ever ask me to make a mod, all I would do is mess it up and give you critisism. >~< I'm not giving up yet. I'm hanging in there barely.

Those pics of Next Gen Sonic looked awesome. Quit the mod and work on a character mod, is my suggestion.

Ok, I guess I'll just work on the characters for a while. This critisism is getting on my freaking nerves. I won't work on the levels until I'm done with the characters. If anyone else comes up with anymore critism I don't care, I'll just be working on the characters.
I got to get off the computer right now, so the character modding starts tommorrow.

HYPER SONILDOW said:
Ok, I guess I'll just work on the characters for a while. This critisism is getting on my freaking nerves. I won't work on the levels until I'm done with the characters. If anyone else comes up with anymore critism I don't care, I'll just be working on the characters.
I got to get off the computer right now, so the character modding starts tommorrow.

Dude,why release levels when you can't take criticism?
Seriously,if you want people to help your mod get better listen to it!
Acting a like a baby won't help your mod get better.

Also Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i89Fcg0iOiQ

In the first level (WO) when you turn left theirs a missing texture,the zoomtubes aren't perfect*to the grounds,its really sloppy* also redwalls.
(This was in Open-GL mode)

HYPER SONILDOW said:
Blue Warrior said:
HYPER SONILDOW said:

I don't know if it helped or not. I just SUCK okay! just admit it, I'm not that creative, I just try my best copying levels and you guys are all having critism to say. I just suck badly. I don't know what impresses you all and I don't know what people like. Why this mod sux badly, is because I think it's really cool, but then when I release it, you people critisize it. I just don't know what to do. This is too much for me. I don't know what else to make cool. I though that loops and trick ramps and some other cool stuff I putted in here was cool. What else do you think is awwsome? TELL ME PLEASE!!!!! This whole mod just sux because of me, I'm starting to get lazy. ( have you notice that when I create the levels real fast?) No there is no one to help me. I ask and then they bail. I ask and then they quit. I ask and then they leave. I think that what you guys think is then this mod gets old and then you guys just get bored. This stuff is about to make me say the 2 bad sad words The " I QUIT " words. I need some good ideas from some people, I didn't hear any ideas from anyone to make this mod awesome. I think a few times, but not any other ideas.
I FREAKIN SUCK AT MODS. If you ever ask me to make a mod, all I would do is mess it up and give you critisism. >~< I'm not giving up yet. I'm hanging in there barely.

Wow, just WOW! You kinda just gave an example of the emo "I cant do anything right" speech, seriously. For one, this mod doesnt suck. Two, many members throughout this topic have said how to improve, you just dont seem to pay enough. Three, no matter what, you NEED to figure out how to get people to help you with the mod,without giving up. And finally, YOURE SUPPOSED TO GET CRITISISM!!!! If its not finished yet, then you HAVE to expect the critisism will increase. And if you cant listen to these easy little steps and continue with the emo "I suck" act, THEN you can give up, because youd be a complete failure, and THEN you can let the mod die. Hopefully you can understand these. And BTW to everyone, if im not on for awhile, its probably because I recently deleted my SRB2 till something good and epic happens, and ill only play when im at my friends house...

HYPER SONILDOW said:
I got to get off the computer right now, so the character modding starts tommorrow

Then Autosaver wrote
Dude,why release levels when you can't take criticism?
Seriously,if you want people to help your mod get better listen to it!
Acting a like a baby won't help your mod get better.

Give the guy a break! Seriously, he's trying his best to make a mod for people to enjoy. Isn't that something you should at least give some respect to?
And spelling isn't that big of a deal, so long as we can understand what people are saying, there shouldn't be a problem.
Good work, sonildow, it's great to see that no matter how many bad comments your'e getting, you're still proceeding with this mod really well.
And that is, indeed, something I respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back