• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Frame/sprites and ther weird but good shading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystic said:
Sik said:
Small??? Are you sure???
Compared to commercial games this place is rather tiny. It's all a matter of perspective.
OK, OK, you won. Take this cookie. *gives Mystic a cookie* However, I'm still confused about the legality of the fangames. It says that some companies declare them copyright infringments, BUT NOT ALL. This get me more confused yet.

PS: In the discussion page, when talking about what fangames are notable, the first one which appeared was SRB2. :D

Basically, Sik, think of it as a conscious looking the other way. SEGA knows fangames exist, but it wouldn't be beneficial to shut them down because they'd lose some of their fanbase by doing so. Fangames also provide a means of free advertising, because people searching for Sonic will find a gigantic community entired based on SEGA's copyrights, which they can then merchandise and sell.

I would have left the Sonic community long ago if it weren't for the fact that fangames exist, and if I had, I wouldn't still be buying their games. So essentially, by ignoring fangames like SRB2, they gain some public relations as well as a few fans, for less money than it would take to shut us down. Seems pretty win-win to me.

After reading the Fair Dealing and Fair Use thing, I think that not all the fangames are illegal... Just they're legal if they don't affect to the official markething.

Copyrights last 100 years now. The only way a video game could no longer have a copyright on it is if the owner of the copyright relinquishes his rights, which is probably what happened with the Atari stuff you're describing, Sik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back