SonicQuest - Beta 0.6 [mtf_sonicquest_beta06.wad]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So first off, the new Jade Hill is a snore. It is boring, bland, and uninspired. It simply isn't good my any stretch of the imagination. It's just boring, strait up. It is also not very pleasant to LOOK at either. The GOOD old Jade Hill Act 1 was replaced with THIS?
Mabye if you told him how to fix his mistakes he could USE your criticism, perhaps?

EDIT:

Ok, first things first. The archives section really dissapointed me. Why? Because the scrapped levels had just as much, if not MORE potential than the current maps. I had lots of fun playing the archives, and I really hope some of theese levels are brought back. (Especially the music.)

On to the UN scrapped maps, JHZ was linear, and could really use some more multiple paths. It was annoying to sit for about 10 seconds waiting for a springchain to finish, and the 1up was way too easy to find!

I was pretty dissapointed with the decisions you made on scrapping levels mostly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mabye if you told him how to fix his mistakes he could USE your criticism, perhaps?

You can't just "fix" boring level design. You gotta MAKE a level interesting, which he failed to do. It's not as simple as saying "This gimmick is bugged, so you gotta so this" or "This part would be better if you did this", because it's a problem with the level itself. It's not like I can throw a magic wand at a level and make it perfect. He didn't make mistakes. He simply made bad levels.

Whoa, everyone really likes to post when I sleep! O_o

Anyways, I knew from the very start of development on Jade Hill that it would be bad. I was un-inspired, I was bored making it, and worst of all the gameplay.... AAAAAAAA *remembers nightmares*.

But anyways, I've decided YET AGAIN to redo the first zone of the mod. But it may not be called Jade Hill. Something like Emerald Valley or Marble Hill to make me inspired. (yes I get inspired based on level names :P)

And I also need some texture variation for Hidden Forest... but what should I use? I should fix some bad level designing with the left path for HFZ, cause' I remember Darkbob explaining how the dirt lagged when you fell through it.

And thanks to the niceness of Spherallic and Darkbob, I was able to get some custom flowers into the mod! :D

And since I once said... "I will release a new version of SQ before the year ends" So I fulfilled my promise... at least for now.

So to everyone who plays SQ, don't expect a new version of Sonic Quest atleast intill February, The next version will most likey be Beta 3.0, and that it will only have 3 playable zones with the Archives section fully functional and stuff. BUT don't worry, I'm still sticking to my 12 Zone mod "dream". :P

Anyways, I knew from the very start of development on Jade Hill that it would be bad. I was un-inspired, I was bored making it, and worst of all the gameplay.... AAAAAAAA *remembers nightmares*.

But anyways, I've decided YET AGAIN to redo the first zone of the mod. But it may not be called Jade Hill. Something like Emerald Valley or Marble Hill to make me inspired. (yes I get inspired based on level names :P)
Well, when I get bored making a map, I go and work on some of the cooler maps for my mod, and when I feel i'm done with it for now, I go back to the other maps. :D

As for the first zone of the mod, I say you should look back at your archives. Even though they sucked at times, I still had fun playing them.

As for the first zone of the mod, I say you should look back at your archives. Even though they sucked at times, I still had fun playing them.

Yeah, the originals are always the best... :P

Edit: @LightspeedX: Okay, I'll be honest here, I was too lazy to edit it. But I WILL in the next version. Promise.
Edit 2: Added "Sonic Quest IRC Chat" to the useful links section.

Last edited:
Yeah, the originals are always the best... :P

Edit: @LightspeedX: Okay, I'll be honest here, I was too lazy to edit it. But I WILL in the next version. Promise.
Edit 2: Added "Sonic Quest IRC Chat" to the useful links section.
To be honest, I don't think that IRC chat will ever be full with at least 2 people at any given time. D:

Yeah, a forum and website are fine, but we don't need IRC Chat. (Maybe I'm saying let the Forum stay 'cause I'm an Admin there. :P)

About the flowers...

Agent Hack said:
And thanks to the niceness of Spherallic and Darkbob, I was able to get some custom flowers into the mod! :D

Why, thank you for crediting me.
And if anyone wants to see these flowers before February, here they are:
FWR4A0.png
FWR3A0.png
FWR2A0.png
FWR1A0-2.png

And about the new version:
I really preferred this version over the others you've made. They look nicer and actually play better. But I'm in a hurry now, so a real review will come later.

Ok, first things first. The archives section really dissapointed me. Why? Because the scrapped levels had just as much, if not MORE potential than the current maps. I had lots of fun playing the archives, and I really hope some of theese levels are brought back. (Especially the music.)
You're kidding, aren't you? You can't be serious about this. The archives really, really, REALLY suck. They are nothing compared to the new ones, and even those aren't good. I don't see the point of having an archives section at all. Who wants to play bad maps on purpose?

No, I am not kidding. Sure the levels weren't perfect at ALL, but there were some parts that just weren't bad enough to be scrapped. Of course there were bad things, like the maze in one of the levels, and the bad enemy placement, I'm just saying that those maps had alot of potential. Whatever. >_>

Who wants to play bad maps on purpose?

Mystic Realm Archives.

And I'm not saying the Mystic Realm Archive maps are bad. What I'm trying to say is that Archives are mainly for the purpose of looking back on past versions of a mod, and enjoying what used to be. If you don't like it that's fine but don't go around saying the levels in the Archives are bad cause' I'm just going to ignore you. And probably so will everyone else.

Mystic Realm Archives.

And I'm not saying the Mystic Realm Archive maps are bad. What I'm trying to say is that Archives are mainly for the purpose of looking back on past versions of a mod, and enjoying what used to be. If you don't like it that's fine but don't go around saying the levels in the Archives are bad cause' I'm just going to ignore you. And probably so will everyone else.
Mystic Realm Archives ARE bad. They consist of the normal MR maps, only in lower quality. You know, MR is not the bible or anything. Just because Mystic did it that doesn't mean that you have to do it too (same goes for the website). I'm not gonna "enjoy what used to be", because there's simply nothing to enjoy. And if you're gonna ignore me, that's fine by me.

Mystic Realm Archives ARE bad. They consist of the normal MR maps, only in lower quality. You know, MR is not the bible or anything. Just because Mystic did it that doesn't mean that you have to do it too (same goes for the website). I'm not gonna "enjoy what used to be", because there's simply nothing to enjoy. And if you're gonna ignore me, that's fine by me.

If you don't find it enjoyable, don't play it. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back