SonicQuest - Beta 0.6 [mtf_sonicquest_beta06.wad]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Webs won't load that for me, and I bet it wont for a few others.

Just Youtube it for convenience.

There's almost nothing to do in there. Apart from the island hopping, it's practically running. Also, please remove the spring hopping part. It's pointless since all you have to do is wait. However, it looks nice and it is NOT empty.

(And where are the waves you promised us?)

Also, what do you think I should add to give the player more to do in the level? I'm currently out of ideas.
Just have some platforming at the point where the player just runs around. You don't need gimmicks everywhere, just force the player to do something. Also, you could make the player do something in the waterslides. I don't know what, but just having slides in there for the sake of having slides is pointless.

Double-Post, yet again. -_-

Copy-Pasta from Sonic Quest Forums...

Sonic Quest Progress Report:

I've made some progress on Jade Hill Zone 2. But what I'm currently interested in showing you is the new look of the Emerald location.

Jade Hill Zone Act 2 - Emerald Temple

I was inspired to make it this way. Based off Mystic Realm's Temples.

jhz2emeraldtemple.png

jhz2emeraldtemple2.png

Like the new look? :3

The temple looks pretty good. Mabye there should be a challenge to get to the emerald at the temple. Mabye platforming, the temple in the open, but there is a switch tht opens a continer that has the emerald.

For a part in JHZ2, there can be some platfroms across a "pool" of water with water falling down in between the platfroms that pushes you down. For the end of Act 2s, you can make an arena that has the ending in it that is the same arena for the boss.

Also, IRC Channel up! Grab an IRC Client and join #SonicQuest.

I think those textures don't work well with the walls.
I think DSZ textures (as well as making the temple in a small ruins area) would work fine in there.

Sonic Quest Beta 2.3 is now available.

Changelog:

Changelog - Sonic Quest - Build November 27, 2009 - Version Beta 2.3

Sonic Quest has been made a few changes and fixes. I'll list them here.

-MainCFG file modified.

-New levels, Frozen Lake Zone, by Darkbob (Match), Jade Hill Zone Act 1 (SP/Co-op), Jade Hill Zone Act 3 (SP/Co-op),
Hidden Forest Act 1 (SP/Co-op), and the Archive levels (Archives), Future Frigate Zone (Race).

-New 'Gametype' "Archives". Play past Sonic Quest levels.

-Archives levels moved to MAPA1+, replacing SRB1 levels.

-Rocky Coast Zone, Imperial Factory Zone, Hidden Forest Zone, and Jade Hill Zone are the Archives rotation.

-Fixed various bugs concerning Archives mode.

-Fixed MainCFG bug concerning Archives mode.

-Loop error in Rocky Coast Zone fixed.

-Script error for Jade Hill Zone fixed.

-Script error for Hidden Forest Act 3 fixed.

-MainCFG modified to support Boss Battles in Archives mode, consfails are less likey to happen now in an Archives
mode Boss Battle.

-SRB2 maps hidden for enhanced Sonic Quest level selection.

Alright, so I picked up and played it. And man, I was VERY disappointed. Let's delve into this, shall we?

So first off, the new Jade Hill is a snore. It is boring, bland, and uninspired. It simply isn't good my any stretch of the imagination. It's just boring, strait up. It is also not very pleasant to LOOK at either. The GOOD old Jade Hill Act 1 was replaced with THIS? As for Act 3, the boss is an even BIGGER snore, because the arena is so HUGE. He flies all the way to the other side. There's a REASON why GFZ3 was so small. Add to it, Tunes 12 is a terrible (and terribly looped) boss tune. And for Hidden Forest, it's clear you have no idea how to use that flat right (fake floors, invisible solid FOF with that bounce trait, IIRC), and those 2D segments were lame and unneeded.

As for the archives, they're borked; they're ALL forceskin Sonic, and it's best to just move them out of the SRB1 Remake slots, and Old Jade Hill Act 2 plays no music. The match stages are HORRIBLY huge, and the weapon panels are far too plentiful, while AMMO is low, as well as the Ring count, which is FAR more needed. They also use HORRENDOUSLY looped music. I changed those tracks the second I herd 'em. And the circuit stages are the most bland, boring, and unneeded stages I have ever seen; they're total snorefests, and they just shouldn't be there. get rid of 'em pronto. Infact, just stop with Match too. Just focus on SP, because these Match/CTF levels are BY FAR the worst things in the pack. I swear, this whole pack is pretty dang vanilla to be honest. There is just NOTHING interesting here.

Last edited:
DOOD pretty much said everything, the levels take the meanings linear and bland to the extremes.

The levels have a problem with nearly impossible to make ways to reach a higher area (Bouncy FOF in Hidden Forest) you might want to check that to make the levels a bit more playable.

The levels do not have much in them and some of the gimmicks if not all are not being used as well as they could, take the water slide in Jade Hill 1 for an example it has boring platforming in the section. Look at the water slide section in Castle Eggman 1 for example where the water takes you back, that had combination of running and platforming in it.

The underwater platforming part in Hidden Forest is very cheap with small platforms and Sharps close by, the platform idea does not fit very well altogether, it is just too boring.

This pack pretty much put me to sleep, you have a good concept for Jade Hill 1 it is just you have add a lot more work to it and make it less bland.

This test was made in single player with three lives and one continue. The following reviews are for the version 2.3!

Jade Hill Zone 1 - 6/10
The level was good, but the overflowing of flowers and the challanging river to cross for Sonic makes it lose some. How would you even be able to make a decent time-attack with that? The water you picked was great and the banner's height change made it even better. Overall, you need to edit this map and make it somewhat easier. You did say it was very easy but it was like a easy-medium map instead.

Jade Hill Zone 3 - 7/10
The level had some flaws. The first is that the boss would be more challanging if you made it so you had to actually do something besides wait there, jump, wait there, jump and so on. Maybe add a few more sectors but not close to the other ones. That is just my option for you although.

Hidden Forest Zone 1 - N/A
It woulden't be right to give you a rating because I coulden't even beat it. The water and the pit below and the enemys made it almost impossible to beat. If I could rate it although, I would rate it 5/10

The GOOD old Jade Hill Act 1 was replaced with THIS?
I beg to differ. The "good" old JHZ1 was even more boring and uninspired. And it had an overkill of flowers and pointless rock formations.

That being said, JHZ1 is in fact linear and boring. The part where you jump over rocks and avoid the waterslide was OK, but the rest was really a sleeping pill. It does look alright though.

JHZ3: D00D summed it up pretty well. It's a chore to play. Just make the arena smaller.

HFZ1: Now, really? Are you serious? I really hope not, since this is as good as unplayable.

All in all, maybe a bit better than your previous attempt, but still pretty lousy. At least your levels now look half-decent.

EDIT: On a slightly unrelated note, you really don't need a whole website or even a FORUM for this. It's neither that good nor that popular.

Last edited:
HFZ1: Now, really? Are you serious? I really hope not, since this is as good as unplayable.

Ever heard of something called ''Tails'' or ''Knuckles''?

Anyways, here's my review.

JHZ1 5/10

...Did you just use the beta test one without any changes AT ALL?
That's lame dude. Anyways it's far too bland and boring.

JHZ3 3/10

Same goes for here. >.> The boss area is way past big so attacking Eggman from below is basically stupid.

HFZ1 5/10

SAME here. Stop recycling levels already and add something to it. The only thing different from Beta one is an End Sector.

Oh, and to people who think this is ''impossible'', use Tails or Knux. Seriously.

Ever heard of something called ''Tails'' or ''Knuckles''?

Oh, and to people who think this is ''impossible'', use Tails or Knux. Seriously.
All levels should be playable with Sonic. If you have to skip parts of the level with Tails or Knux, it's bad. Anyway, who said I didn't beat it?

I beg to differ. The "good" old JHZ1 was even more boring and uninspired. And it had an overkill of flowers and pointless rock formations.

While it wasn't THAT great of a stage, it's still better than the current one, and I actually had SOME fun playing on it, unlike the new one.

What's this pack's name again? 'Sides, all levels should be playable as Sonic. Tails and Knux are overkill in SP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back