SonicQuest - Beta 0.6 [mtf_sonicquest_beta06.wad]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really not an argument at all. If I find something not enjoyable, then you refuse to improve it and say I shouldn't play it?

Seriously? You must not understand what archives are. Archives are meant to store old levels from a past version of something. I'm not going to modify a level in the archives section so it plays better, because its not supposed to be modified. Its supposed to look the way it did before and nothing else. So IF you have a problem with THAT, don't play it then.

Seriously? You must not understand what archives are. Archives are meant to store old levels from a past version of something. I'm not going to modify a level in the archives section so it plays better, because its not supposed to be modified. Its supposed to look the way it did before and nothing else. So IF you have a problem with THAT, don't play it then.
You don't seem to get it. I know what archives are and I know that the levels are supposed to be as bad as they were when you made them. The question is: Why did you even include them if they're bad? Just for the sake of having an archive?

I don't play them, that's for sure, but I don't get the point of having them in there. For me, it's looks like: "Hey look how bad I was back then and how much better I am now!"

You've really got to start smaller. Instead you're trying to make a giant level pack. You have a website, a message board, and an IRC channel. All this for the only thing you've released.

First, you need to start with some multiplayer levels. They're much easier then single-player levels. Be sure to take your time on them. Send your levels in an OLDC, and improve them from there.

Next, for your website, you need to start small! You don't need an IRC channel and no one will until they have something as big as SRB2 to discuss. It's a nice website, and easy to navigate. But I'd never suggest using a free host. You should learn HTML and CSS, then make a website that doesn't take 6-8 seconds to load.

As for a message board, you certainly don't need one. Your place to discuss this level pack, and SRB2 is here. Nobody's going to join it just to discuss SRB2 on a different website. The trick for forums is to have something worth discussing. Once you have that, start with only a few forums and grow gradually as you get more members.

Last, you should check out this:
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Level_Design_101

The only thing you're going to run into is, as the creator of the level, you're going to think it's totally perfect, when it REALLY isn't. The only way to fix this is to play other peoples levels as well as your own. Playing other levels is probably the most important part of level design.

He DOES improve it. He means that if YOU still don't like it, then you shouldn't play it.

But the thing is, "dong like it don't play it" is the WORST excuse you could POSSIBLY ever give for bad design. It's basically saying "I don't care about other people's opinions, I only care about those who like it." It's the Omega way of thinking., and that simply isn't acceptable.

As for archives, who want's those if old maps are just laying around in old versions? Sure, it's more convenient, but who really cares that much? I mean, I can understand things like incomplete/unreleased levels or FIXED UP versions of old levels because they're something to look for outside of old versions of the pack. It seems more like an excuse for you to try and seem like a "big time" pack, like Mystic Realm or Blue Heaven, even though that these (good, no offence) packs are just that; level packs, and not much else.

Infact, throughout this WHOLE project, it seems like you are trying to make this pack the next Mystic Realm/Blue Heaven/Acid Missile/TBE/Lost Worlds/HMS123311Unleashed/s_bmcdrz2.wad/whatever. You try to bring as big of a presentation as possible with websites, forums and all that other unnessesarry junk nobody else gives a crap about, but your levels are just so boring that it's like you're trying to overcompensate for your product. You're just doing too much for so little.

Can't you just start small, work on and release smaller levels to the OLDC or something, and THEN, when you finally get a good grasp on how levels should be, THEN start making your masterpiece pack? Granted, I fell into this too, and I am sure many others have, but really, just start small. Hell, packs like Blue Heaven and Acid Missile were previously levels in the OLDC, so give it a shot and get some real good feedback. Once those flaws surface, you can see what flaws you make in your design, and become a better mapper in the process. Then when you have some good mapping experience behind you, start this over. Hell, maybe even expand and evolve your earlier maps with the new skills and knowledge you obtained. That 12 zone goal may not be so far-fetched after all...

Anyways, you can still choose not to play it if you don't like the old levels. You don't HAVE to play through the Archives.
As I just said, I actually chose not to play it. That's not what I'm talking about. Nobody NEEDS those archives. They're useless, as the levels in it are crap.

Anyway, Cheese and D00D pretty much summed up everything that there is to say about this mod. It's waay too overambitious and overadvertised and I would really recommend to scrap it and start making maps for the OLDC.

Also, Cheese: Multiplayer maps are not as easy anymore as they were in 1.09.4. It has actually become a lot harder to make a good map because the standard for a good map is now MUCH higher.

I would like to note that I included the Archives purely for those bored enough to goof off with it, as well as to include a few maps that are legitimately terrible and a scrapped idea (the old AGZ3). It was not meant to be taken seriously as gameplay and was purely meant as "lol these maps are terrible" and "lol I had some bad ideas that didn't work out".

Mystic Realm was not successful because of stupid extra unlockables like the Archives. It was successful because I had a lot of content and most of it wasn't terrible.

The thing is, you need to have a project with a 4-5 year old history before you HAVE old garbage to store in something like that. This is a new mod. It's not a very good one either. Instead of wasting time with archives for stuff you scrapped a few days ago, instead why not actually take the time to make a single, good act and send it to the OLDC? You'll learn a lot more and it'll provide you with valuable feedback.

@Cheese I have a few comments to you:

The Website is just a little place to give you more content and information on Sonic Quest, things that couldn't be on this message board.

The Forum, you can think of this as another SRB2 community forum, with just a little more stuff directed towards Sonic Quest.

The IRC channel I never really intended, Filio who is one of my Team members, insisted on an IRC channel so I went with it. Its just a little chat room where you can talk about SQ briefly and other things.

While a mod having a Website, a Forum, and an IRC channel isn't encouraged I still did it because I believe it needs it. And you may not know this but many people do find these other sites useful.

And why in the world would you think that I think that my levels are perfect I mean seriously, do you even KNOW me? I never from the very beginning thought that my maps where perfect.

Also, @Mystic:

I suppose your right. I just thought I'd get an early start on the Archives part since I do have a ton of scrapped levels (even some never mentioned before). I also mainly included the Archives based on your reason, to just goof off but also to take a look back at past levels.

Honestly, a website, forum, and IRC room are useless. Mystic Realm's website is useless and it's a completed mod. I wouldn't even consider making a new forum and IRC room for such a minor thing.

I don't see how a level pack would have information and content you couldn't put in this topic.

And why in the world would you think that I think that my levels are perfect I mean seriously, do you even KNOW me? I never from the very beginning thought that my maps where perfect.

That part I exaggerated. I was trying to point out that, on most maps, the creators (especially me, most of the time) seem to have a hard time finding what they did wrong. That is, as long as they were trying to make it a good map.

A website CAN have more information on it than it can on a forum topic such as:

-Zone listing. Sure you could do it on this topic but... HELLO LONG POST CITY!

-Videos. Whenever YouTube is down I can always uplaod a video to my webspace.

... And a lot more. I'm too tired to go into details.

As for the forum, I already explained that it could be just like another SRB2 Community. With a little extra directed towards Sonic Quest. No biggie.
Edit: The forum is really growing nicely. :D http://sqteam.webs.com/photos/Forum_Activity-Screenshot.png

As for the IRC chat, well I don't know.

And I've updated the website YET AGAIN. It looks MUCH better in my taste. Oh and boy do I love that logo.

http://sqteam.webs.com/

Last edited:
-Zone listing. Sure you could do it on this topic but... HELLO LONG POST CITY!

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEokay im too lazy to hold the button down that long you get the point

There was something else here, but SRB2k noticed it dodged the curse filter, so...

Spoilers can just open the long post, and the reader can ignore it after seeing it once.

-Videos. Whenever YouTube is down I can always uplaod a video to my webspace.

Dailymotion, Google Video, and other sites I cannot recall at the moment.

... And a lot more. I'm too tired to go into details.

Please do, for I have no idea.

As for the forum, I already explained that it could be just like another SRB2 Community. With a little extra directed towards Sonic Quest. No biggie.

Exactly. No biggie. Like Wadbase for example. It is not very liked, due to it's openness to "n00bs"* and general needlessness.

HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS 15 WHOLE MEMBERS
THAT SURE IS A LOT

Hurray, I can look at suff that could have been in a normal post on a Sonic 2 BG. Wee.

Honestly, all this fighting over SQ's site is pointless and stupid.

Much like the site itself.

*Newbie = new to things, and n00b = idiot that never learns past, and probably goes BEHIND the newbie phase

Last edited:
Alright. For all you fools who disagree about the website just drop it. I'm not disabling the website or anything. I have it there for a purpose. All you people are wasting your life arguing about a website. Its sorry.

D00D64 said:
HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS 15 WHOLE MEMBERS
THAT SURE IS A LOT

Get a life.

I have it there for a purpose.

...And that would be...?
Frankly, if it dropped off the face of the earth, nobody else would care all that much. It's like you're TRYING to hold onto these useless things just because it makes your mod feel like a "real" mod to you or something. You don't NEED these things. That's not what level packs are about. They're about LEVELS. Please, just stop wasting your time on these things and start finding out what really makes a level first. That you still have yet to do, and Sonic Quest has been up HOW long? Last time I checked, since 1.09.

Get a life.

Wikipedia said:
Life (cf. biota) is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have self-sustaining biological processes from those that do not —either because such functions have ceased (death), or else because they lack such functions and are classified as "inanimate."

Let's see... I am not a robot... I am not a rock... And I am CERTAIN that if I'm typing this, I am not DEAD, so...

Last edited:
Get a normal manner of living, instead of looking at small details to trash somebody.

Okay, then explain what this "normal matter of living" is to me, and I may consider it.

And Goddratini, you kinda missed the point :P
That, and "get a life" is a pretty lousy comeback for anything. Ever.

Last edited:
Hey guys. How about you stop acting like children and do one of the following:

1. Start arguing in a mature, adult manner instead of acting like you're all 12.
2. Stop talking about this stupidity.

If you don't choose one of the above, you're all going to start receiving infractions.

Well, seeing as arguing that you don't need a site isn't gonna work, I'm just gonna show how I can put the most necessary content from the site right here, without that long of a post.

TTWINGwebsite.png

The Quest Begins!

After the destruction of Eggman and his dreadful Egg Rock, Sonic returns to his home planet of Mobius for a much needed vacation. But when riding home on Tails's Space Shuttle, Sonic is ambushed by a hoard of Eggman's Jetty-Syns and plummets down to an unknown area of Mobius. After gaining conscience back Sonic wakes up in a daze, he looks around, Tails is no where to be found. Sonic then walks around wondering what to do. He then spots Eggman's Crawlas moving into a cave and decides to follow. "Huh, Eggman return with yet another plan? And so quickly after the last? Geez, tubbo sure is persistent." Sonic mumbles to himself as he runs off...

About
Sonic Quest is a wide-range addon/modification of SRB2, most usually abbreviated "SQ". Its still in beta stage and currently contains 2 Zones. Sonic Quest is planned to have 12 Zones, with plenty of unlockables to tide the player over after they have finished such a big single player campaign. This mod also includes a wide array of multiplayer levels; CTF, Match, Race and more! Its planned that every update of Sonic Quest will either bring bug fixes or new levels so keep on the lookout for new updates!

Zones
This Mod will feature over 36 levels of Action, spread across 12 Zones...

Jade Hill Zone

Jade_Hill_LevelSelectAct1.png

Looks much like a beach, Jade Hill Zone is the start of your big adventure. The strong water currents, the Land Air and Water enemies, and the beautiful landscape stand before you. Make it to the end of the beach to stop EggMan's latest scheme to conquer Mobius.

Futuretropolis Zone

This Futuristic city is an Important part in Eggman's operations. His robots have stormed within the City walls to retrieve powerful energy cores to power Eggman's Machinery.

Sonic and his friends must burst in and make it past translucent roads, Colorful laser security, and of course Eggman's robots.

Hidden Forest Zone

Hidden_Forest_LevelSelectAct1.png

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles have reached a forest hidden deep within a large valley.

As you run through the forest unaware of the Robots ready to jump on unsuspecting visitors, you attempt to look for Eggman after scurrying away after his defeat at Toxic Plant.

You encounter a landscape you've never seen before. Hills, holes, falling dirt, and more await you as you venture into the Hidden Forest.

Frozen Peak Zone

After making it past the Forest. Sonic, Tails, and Knux climb up to the highest part of Mount Mobius. The Frozen Peak. Sonic & friends must cross knee-deep snow, frostbite-giving water, Frozen land slides, and vigorous frozen platforming to make it to Eggman's stranded Robot base camp high up within Frozen Peak.

Orange Mountain Zone

Recovering sanity from that frozen fight with Eggman, Sonic & Friends make it far and lower within Mount Mobious and encounter one of the driest, hottest, desert like places ever seen; The Orange Mountain. Who knows what will happen here, except for the fact that Sonic and his friends will be sweating like crazy after this adventure.

Burning Volcano Zone

The group make it inside one of the hottest active Volcanoes ever. After seeing Eggman's robot supply ship landing inside the Volcano. Why would anyone want to land a Supply ship in a Volcano? Well, a scientist trying to shake some rodents off his tail, for starters.

Additional Screenshots
Main Levels

Jade Hill Zone

xsrb0042.png

xsrb0043.png

xsrb0044.png

Hidden Forest Zone

xsrb0049.png

xsrb0050.png

Archive

Rocky Coast Zone

xsrb0052.png

xsrb0053.png

xsrb0054.png

Imperial Factory Zone

xsrb0055.png

xsrb0056.png

xsrb0057.png

Jade Hill Zone

xsrb0059.png

xsrb0060.png

Videos

Jade Hill Zone Act 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Y1Z9RrsEQ
Jade Hill Zone Act 2 (OLDC entry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO7qBb6AHBQ

Downloads

SRB2 MB Download
Mediafire Download

See? Not huge, and all the big stuff is behind spoilers, and all on one convenient page. You don't need an entire site to do all that. Also, the screenshot thing for posts (like your above one) can hold the additional shots or something. Basically, if you keep it all on one page but make it so the person doesn't have to scroll all over by using spoiler tags, you make it more convenient than a site.

Oh, and here, you can copypasta the whole thing:
http://srb2.pastebin.com/f4d360bcd
And it'll look just like the above. I highly suggest doing it, but whatever.

Also, on my screenshot hunt, I found some oddities...

xsrb0040.png

Near the beginning of the level.

xsrb0041.png

Somewhere further from the start, but not too far. It may be a linedef problem.[/spoilers]

Also, in the Archives levels, either move the level slots, or put ForceCharacter = -1 in the level header to turn off the hard-coded forceskinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back