• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic Advance 1 Character pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
roboegg99 said:
And why say this wad isn't good? At least its something, not all people can do custom stuff, what do you think we all can draw like a pro in mspaint?

Again, you're missing the point. We're critiquing this so it can be made BETTER. If it sucks, then it's junk that shouldn't make it into the releases, because we've got enough of this crap crammed onto the forums.

Not everyone can draw professionally. I understand and respect that. But if you're going to make a graphics/character wad, then instead of ripping something someone has seen a hundred times, then why not maybe, oh... improve your drawing skill and make something else? If you need help with that, we can help you improve. If you're just going to go ahead with your crummy drawing skills/ripping and make a crappy wad in spite of the above, then you're not helping us by pouring your badly made junk here. Provide something unique.

That's the whole damned point of constructive criticism. Why is it that some people ignore this fact? Does it have to be drilled into a third of the community's heads for us to get anywhere?

In addition take a look at this!

Rule 4 said:
4. Keep any arguments you have with other members outside of the board. Likewise, flaming, or mindless insulting of another user, is strictly prohibited. Trolling, or posting to intentionally disrupt forum activity and/or to generate an angry response, is strictly prohibited in all forms.

Rule 10 said:
10. Keep all criticism constructive. "Your character is a crappy recolor" is not acceptable. "This character isn’t unique in any way. You need to make something that isn’t just another hedgehog" is fine, however.

Nickrawls08 said:
In addition take a look at this!
That's glorious, you might also want to take a look at this:

The Rules said:
8. Don’t ask for a lock or other administrative action if you aren’t an admin. The administrators are fully capable of moderating the board without your help. Likewise, don't tell other people what to do. That is the job of the administrators and moderators. If they double post, have bad grammar, or are otherwise breaking the rules, it's not your job to tell them about it.

Arguments about forum usage are allowed because they're important. This hasn't hit flaming and trolling yet, so it's fine.

This IS constructive criticism. They've said EXACTLY why it sucks and sucks hard. Multiple times. The problem is that apparently, a significant portion of the community thinks that "Your WAD sucks" means "You suck" for some reason, and tries to defend the author. Just because their work sucks doesn't mean they can't make something better. Criticism just to be spiteful isn't acceptable. Criticism to try to tell the author what not to do is ENCOURAGED.

Get over yourself, Nickrawls. I don't see "Moderator" under your name.

Blue Warrior said:
Not everyone can draw professionally. I understand and respect that. But if you're going to make a graphics/character wad, then instead of ripping something someone has seen a hundred times, then why not maybe, oh... improve your drawing skill and make something else? If you need help with that, we can help you improve. If you're just going to go ahead with your crummy drawing skills/ripping and make a crappy wad in spite of the above, then you're not helping us by pouring your badly made junk here. Provide something unique.
I'd even go so far to say that if you can't draw and can't do something unique with graphics (Such as ripping models for use in SRB2), you shouldn't be making character WADs. Period.

Look at me. I made Mystic Realm. Have I ever made a character WAD? No. I didn't even make a crappy recolor for the fun of it. The reason is simple: I can't draw, and I know it. I'm bad with image editors, and any character WAD I create would be of horrible quality and contain nothing original. So, to avoid making awful junk, I simply don't make character WADs, and stick to something I _can_ do, make levels.

Not everyone can draw. I know I can't. However, if you know you can't draw, please make something that doesn't require you to have drawing skills. I suggest level design as a great way for anyone without graphics talent to make something cool in the SRB2 community.

Fine, I'll give you, in your fogged point of view, HELPFUL comments.

I think that these wads could have decent potential, but you've really got to fix up a few things first.

1. If you make the rear stand and boredom sprites Sonic/etc. looking up, and the front stand and boredom sprites Sonic/etc. crouching. Then turn Analog On during a 2D stage, you can simulate looking up and down, although the camera won't be affected unless you manually mouselook up and down while you're doing it.

2. All of the sprites need to be rezised by 2 or 3 times so they are a remotely correct size for SRB2.

3. If you're going to do Amy, then may I suggest making her spinitem the NiGHTS bumper, or soccing a diagonal spring that doesn't go very far and makes no noise when you hit it, then disappears once you use it.

4. Custom sounds.

5. DON'T DO SHADOW, PLEASE. Scrap it now. D:

Earuto said:
Oh so your an admin Mystic. You need to get over yourself. I mean just because your an admin doesn't mean you have special privilages. Mystic I only see you creating level wads and I have not seen 1 character wad that you have made. So what gives you the reason to even give downfalls to character wads.
Ok. Right. Now will someone tell me what the hell that was?

You clearly did not read Mystic's post. Mystic doesn't make character wads because he doesn't have the skill. Which is good.

And furthermore, Mystic has every right to critisize. Being an admin has nothing to do with it. Even Gleaming Razor has the right to be critical. Even you have the right to be critical, but you don't have the right to say stuff like that someone because you don't agree with them.

Right, your statement redundant. He pointed out he didn't make characters because he knows they'll turn out bad. That means he knows his limitations. That by no means says he shouldn't criticize. Being unable to make a character does not mean you shouldn't be criticizing them. I can't make a SOC for the life of me. But does that mean I shouldn't be able to criticize someone else's? Hell no. Being able to maturely criticize is wholly different from being able to make what you're criticizing. To say "Well, you didn't make one, so you can't say anything" is flawed logic. Like I said earlier, just because you can't make something doesn't mean you don't know what is/isn't good.

Edit: Now you're flat out lying.
I like this wad.

Last edited by Earuto on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

That speaks for itself. Multiple people saw that. I`ll Begin responded first, then me. Seems I got in after that edit. However, our statements stand.

You really think we'd believe that I'll Begin would go out of his way to make you look like an idiot? You aren't worth the effort.

Look can't anyone take a joke. Ritz you seriously need to shut up talking to me. I was making a joke post. You aren't even worth 1 cent.

Guys, don't start flaming. So far you guys are alright, but it's getting a bit heated and I don't want you to go too far.

:lol: Sorry I couldn't resist. :lol: I can see it now, getting 1000 pm's on Wtf Jman?

Okay guys, the pack has died. Why? Because of flaming about 2D wads. Things were were getting too intense for me. Plus, I'm busy with Sonic Advance 2 Sonic. Since this is over, you can forget about this and go home.

Earuto said:
Look can't anyone take a joke. Ritz you seriously need to shut up talking to me. I was making a joke post. You aren't even worth 1 cent.
The first thing any internet savant does when they're backed into a corner is to play off whatever they've said as a joke, and it only makes you look worse. You meant everything you said; don't lie to us to save your hind, stick to your guns and take your tongue-lashing like a man, and perhaps you'll think twice before spouting tripe like that the next time around.

And if you only did it to avoid incurring Mystic's wrath, grow a spine- he's not going to ban you for getting snappy with him so long as your language is within bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back