SC_Medpack (Previously known as SC_GMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@pixel you aren't demanding, you are suggesting, which is one of the things I encourage. Well, I know how to execute that, but it will take up quite some time for me trying to figure out the average time a player will get to a certain point due to everyone playing differently (ie. I can beat the new mach speed section in Manray in less then 8 seconds, take another look at that gif. ). The 2d/3d switch might be implemented IN SHZ'S act 2 though.

@doun well I want to keep the Sky level separate from other levels, but good idea.

So what I think now is this:

Sky Highway/ Heaven Speedway Act 1 = Challenging platformer
Act 2 = Mach speed the whole way. About a minute or more long mach speed level, non-stop high speed action with platforms, and obstacles with alternative paths. Checkpoints included.

Also, @hex, what's SHTH Zone?

Edit: oh, actually that gif is a bit outdated.

Last edited:
Mm, if you were willing to, you could go the Sonic Heroes route and just use both Sky Highway and Heaven Speedway as names for individual acts. Although, I don't know what you'd call Splash Hill Act 2...

You wouldn't have to spend too much time on figuring out averages. The point is they have to be skillful to get there. Do a run of it yourself and if you feel others may have a problem, add some seconds to your preferred time for pathway closing and see what the players feel about it.

Mm, if you were willing to, you could go the Sonic Heroes route and just use both Sky Highway and Heaven Speedway as names for individual acts. Although, I don't know what you'd call Splash Hill Act 2...

You wouldn't have to spend too much time on figuring out averages. The point is they have to be skillful to get there. Do a run of it yourself and if you feel others may have a problem, add some seconds to your preferred time for pathway closing and see what the players feel about it.

Maybe. I might add that, it will be a tad bit complicated implement it, but it's do able.

Also, I was updating a new alternate path in Glyphic Canyon, which will advance the emerald hunt thing, and it seems to me that it looks pretty cool;

Do note, the section on the left is exactly the way it was, but will be changed once this alt. path is made.

I gotta say, even though I want you to remove some of the parts that require separate files to do, this is fun with added characters.

I'm playing Glyphic Canyon with the Jet the Hawk character WAD (http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=38649) and it's awesome. I love all of the shortcuts I can do and just how good it feels to run around.

By the way, why is it that Glyphic Canyon is MAP01, which when ended leads to Manray Zone which is MAP04, which leads to Splash Hill which is MAP02, which leads back to Manray Zone in a loop? This programming is rather odd.

Well why is MAP01 spelled in all caps and have an 01 instead of 1? Well, I'm sure there is a reason for that, but in this instance, there is no reason for the random number choices. However due to the second acts being implemented, the numbers will change. The indefinite loop was so that the player can experience all the levels, this will be removed in the update.

Out of sheer curiosity, how many levels did you intend for this pack to have?

However much the majority of players want. I mean, for me, this is fun and time consuming. As you can see with this, the Walls of the Void, and

and this

that I love making maps, replicating maps, and working on this stuff in general. I have tons upon tons of maps on my computer (most unfinished or so strange no one but me would play). I simply like making these maps. So I will do as much as asked, if a reasonable number is given.

Well, what with how well received this pack is and how many people are willing to give suggestions on how to improve, I can see this pack becoming quite large.

I was going to ask you a question about level design since I came across an error in my first trek into it, but I'm not sure if I should just hold onto it and put it in the editing help section.

Regardless of such, what you're doing here is fantastic. I look forward to the future updates.

Well, what with how well received this pack is and how many people are willing to give suggestions on how to improve, I can see this pack becoming quite large.

I was going to ask you a question about level design since I came across an error in my first trek into it, but I'm not sure if I should just hold onto it and put it in the editing help section.

Regardless of such, what you're doing here is fantastic. I look forward to the future updates.

Really? All the negative comments at first seem to point the other way.

But if this pack does get more maps, I might rename it from GMS to SC_MedicalKit, or something like that.

Well you managed to turn it around and now people seem to enjoy playing it. So... good job. Although, MedicalKit? That seems a bit too random for the pack name.

Also, how are you making these thok barriers? I made one and only two parts of it kept me from escaping the level (that and I made it just a bit too far away and Sonic was walking on nothing before coming into contact with the wall).

Well you managed to turn it around and now people seem to enjoy playing it. So... good job. Although, MedicalKit? That seems a bit too random for the pack name.

Also, how are you making these thok barriers? I made one and only two parts of it kept me from escaping the level (that and I made it just a bit too far away and Sonic was walking on nothing before coming into contact with the wall).

Medicalkit. *Matt Smith's voice* "Hello. I'm the Doctor".

thok barriers are formed when a sector has no distance between the ceiling and the floor heights. When you have your map open, make a sector around the specified area that you want to be a thok barrier and change that sectors floor and ceiling heights to the same number, so that the sector overall height is 0. This will prevent you character from bursting through the walls like a boss.

Well that reference just flew over my head. Anyway, I can't exactly think of a good name. Also, this isn't the main reason why I care so much but this is among the few Single Player maps I found. Most of the other ones were multiplayer levels and I don't really like Match or CTF at all, so this sticks out more. Again, this isn't my main reason for focusing on this pack but it does contribute slightly.

Anyway, that's not exactly what I meant... sort of. Do both height values have to be high enough to prevent escape? And if so, do they block off everything below them?

But more importantly, my issue was that when I made them, only two sides actually served their purpose, unlike how yours has all sides blocking exit.

I'm sorry for dragging everything off topic, but I needed help from someone experienced with level design and you were the only one I was speaking to at the time...

Last edited:
(most unfinished or so strange no one but me would play)

curiosity intensifies

Honestly I keep seeing gifs or screenshots you take in mysterious never to be seen levels and I'm just sitting here going "aaaa why"

curiosity intensifies

Honestly I keep seeing gifs or screenshots you take in mysterious never to be seen levels and I'm just sitting here going "aaaa why"

Why what? :o

If I ever do post something, it is to show something, either by showing a skin, a model, or a map. If you see a skin in a strange map, most likely I am showing the skin. Same with models in maps. I like to think of my maps as a journal, to oneself, it's a big amusement park, to others it's a donkey on wheels.

Last edited:
I wish I saw more of those maps honestly, even though some of them are just texture swaps ;w;

Stuff people make are just interesting to see, regardless of whether or not it's technically not up to par with that they can actually do.

Anyways, this new part in Glyphic Canyon is officially my favorite part in the level. After I run through it, I tend to turn around and run through it again. It doesn't look much from a picture, but when running past it, it looks fantastic.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Another opinion. Good skybox?:

EDIT: That picture is now old. How about this new skybox?:

Also, for all you add file haters out there;

It's the same as SRB2 sonic, however homing attack and light dash abilities are added.

Last edited:
I was beckoned?

You sir have read my mind. I also love the song, and was actually about to contact BW this weekend about permission to use it. Blue Warrior, if you accept this usage of your beautiful music, do say so...Please :p

Yeah sure, whatever. Any piece that I've uploaded, you can use. (So long as it's not for something commercial, but y'know.)

Well, Splash Hill certainly looks nicer now with an actual skybox and more decorations placed along the level. Did you fix up the enemy placement too? I hated all of those cheap shots with enemies moving too fast.

Also, I like how you made Glyphic Canyon look like an original level. It looks nothing like it did in Shadow and benefits from that. Seriously, that game was ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back