• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SA2B mod -- Beta 1 --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it most usually happens when I get the glitch of the only two emeralds appearing on the radar and then trying to return to the screen. I don't know why it happened bit it did.

Nonono. See, you can HAVE copyrighted music included as long as it's for usage with an actual mod. If it's just a standalone music-only wad, however, that's when it crosses the boundaries of the rules.

EDIT: ...Or at least, that's how it was last I checked. The rules don't seem to mention the exception, so I'm not sure if my memory serves correct or not.

Last edited:
I will not remove the music, it s very important in a Sonic-based mod

Hah hah hah, no. the original STH360 Mod (by Thompson) didn't include music automatically, instead it was a separate download. Hell, I could play this whole mod without music. Music isn't that important, and by the way, you could use the SRB2 music. The Metal Sonic Battle music (tunes 24) would work for green Forest. Then the music wad could have a MAINCFG that changes the musicslot for each level.

Well, I see a lot of people have posted tl;dr's, so I guess I'll be next on that list.

First off, 76.8 megabytes is too huge of a filesize. I started downloading it about an hour ago and it isn't even done yet (Connection sucks). You could at LEAST include the music in a seperate file.

Moving on to the textures... Take a little time to organize them properly. When they repeat ten trillion times, it becomes an eyesore (eyeburner, rather; my eyes still hurt from looking at them), and it kinda ruins the level. Try to be unique and NOT use textures from the original game. Yes, I understand you are trying to replicate it, but if it's not unique in any single way at all, it loses its appeal altogether. So you might want to take that into consideration.

Hmm, what else... Ah yes. The stage layouts. I understand you were trying to make them easier in some ways, and yes, that is unique... However, when you ruin the full fluent gameplay of the level as compared to its original (let's use Final Rush as an example here), it lacks. Who cares if the level is hard, who cares if it's easy. It can be thirty seconds long and I wouldn't care, so long as it has good appeal and a lot of uniqueness to it. Otherwise, I'll keep my hands off of that bread!

My final rating is 5/10. Work on improving some of the above listed things and I'll try it again then. But I emphasize, PLEASE lower the filesize. For the love of... well, my sanity and my bandwidth.

(Also, Luminous beat me to the punch as well, but meh, you get my point)

Thus ends my tl;dr.

I will not change the textures, I really like them the way they are. About Final Rush... i dont know if you have seen the new screenshots, but that level was totally revamped!

I didn't like the textures. They weren't aligned, they weren't rotated properly, the coloring was off, and they didn't fit the sprite style at all.

The grass in City Escape looks more like puke, really.

You could just use normal SRB2 textures for certain places.

The grass in City Escape looks more like puke, really.

You could just use normal SRB2 textures for certain places.
This.

Also, you really should do something about the arrangement of textures. I would like to play it, but I feel I'd vomit halfway through because of how some of them look in-game.

And yes, I saw the screenshots. Totally revamped or not, it's still an eyesore.

Okay, I found this mod slightly playable. I want to cover the main issues first before I go into levels.

-Put forcecharacter on for singleplayer, make it like the original.
-I made a test level on emerald hunt, it worked perfectly for me, why not you?
-Some of the gimmicks you could EASILY recreate, it's not that hard.

Okay, on to the levels.

City Escape - 2/5

Okay, the major problem is the textures. There aren't enough colorful buildings, like in the original. I don't remember the boarding part having a slope going up. But overall, it's okay, just fix the textures.

Wild Canyon - 1/5

Come on, you can do better than this. Don't place fans, use fan sectors. The pillars are horribly recreated, and unoriginal. Why aren't there dark areas underground? This level could use improvement.

Prison Lane - 1/5

Again, revisiting the gimmick issue. Don't use springs, use rising sectors.
Add some more dark grey, it looks bland.

Metal Harbor - 2/5

Too much light grey again. I don't remember the level having a lot of platforming, though you included it. Another big issue. REPEATED TEXTURES. Give it more originality.

Green Forest - 3/5

Wow, gotten better. But where are the waterfalls? There's also too much brown, hence the name Green Forest. You brought back the platforming though, good job!

Pumpkin Hill - 0/5

... Wow. This was TERRIBLE. Some of the structures looked the same. Add some cliff textures, they look like pillars. And don't put emerald spawns near eachother, most of the time, I have all three radar blinking on green.

Route 101 - 0/5

I don't remember close-by buildings in this. Like an earlier user said, if you can't do anything interesting with this, scrap it.

Hidden Base - 2/5

Gimmicks. AGAIN. You could easily make breakable sectors for the breakable walls. Three words. NOT. ENOUGH. RED. I remember this level having a distinct Yellow/Red feel to it.

Pyramid Cave - 0/5

... You ruined my favorite level in the game, good going. Again, mentioning the gimmicks issue. You could make those spike ball on chains, that would make it better. And the textures at the beginning made me puke three times. Add some originality.

Death Chamber - 4/5

I LIKED this level! You improved greatly here. Though the scale of the level is a bit small. And add some water, I remember a room that was FULL of water.

Eternal Engine - 3.5/5

Eh. Not the best level, but detailed. You made it look a lot like the original. Only a couple cons, the life room is obvious, change it.

Meteor Herd (However you spell it.) - 3.5/5

This was decent. Add a fan sector over the lava though, I don't remember death pits in this level. Again, GIMMICKS. Make some stuff breakable.

Final Rush - 0/5

I really don't want to say the word, you figure out what it is. There isn't enough platforming, like the original.

Overall - 22/65 (May have not added it up right, someone check, please?

City Escape.. i made a going up slope... and what? I know the real game didnt have it.

Green Forest is green. Wait to see the new version with the original BG and scenary

Pumpkin Hill... i think it s one of the best stages...

Route 101 isnt exactly like the SA2´s one. I know there arent buildings, they are just there to add more decoration.

Hidden base: I have added the breakable doors weeks ago

Pyramid Cave... it s the best i can do

Death Chamber isnt totally based on the original level. Only 3 rooms and the main one

Eternal Engine is longer now

Meteor Herd: the lava part was removed a week ago

Final Rush: wait to see the new one

it's awesome,but the only problem is the textures.They suck use something original next time. or ask someone to do it for you.

City Escape.. i made a going up slope... and what? I know the real game didnt have it.

Green Forest is green. Wait to see the new version with the original BG and scenary

Pumpkin Hill... i think it s one of the best stages...

Route 101 isnt exactly like the SA2´s one. I know there arent buildings, they are just there to add more decoration.

Hidden base: I have added the breakable doors weeks ago

Pyramid Cave... it s the best i can do

Death Chamber isnt totally based on the original level. Only 3 rooms and the main one

Eternal Engine is longer now

Meteor Herd: the lava part was removed a week ago

Final Rush: wait to see the new one

Sorry, but you won't get anywhere if you disagree with everything that people tell you to improve.

Like the Pumpkin Hill stage you responded on, it isn't a good level, it's very hard to get around in and you can collect one emerald on Church Mountain and you finish it.

And the Pyramid cave thing, you didn't do the best you could. That starting room was way to cramped, and it has something to do with the springs the sigsegv strangely. You shoudl've remembered that the very first room in Pyramid Cave is very tall.

Also, a little advice, it's really hard to work on so many levels at once in a mod. Do one level at a time, it'll be a lot easier.

Sorry, but you won't get anywhere if you disagree with everything that people tell you to improve.

Like the Pumpkin Hill stage you responded on, it isn't a good level, it's very hard to get around in and you can collect one emerald on Church Mountain and you finish it.

And the Pyramid cave thing, you didn't do the best you could. That starting room was way to cramped, and it has something to do with the springs the sigsegv strangely. You shoudl've remembered that the very first room in Pyramid Cave is very tall.

Also, a little advice, it's really hard to work on so many levels at once in a mod. Do one level at a time, it'll be a lot easier.

Completely agree with this, especially the sigsegv in piramid cave which I can only avoid by strafing past the middle bit which isn't too easy. Pumpkin hill isn't the best, maybe you could enlarge the places so you could get around easier, still though.

In Pumpkin Hill you can go to all places easily with Sonic, only go to the hurch mountain and do speed thok (there are springs on some mountains to go up)

But how the hell are we supposed to know where to go when every single structure looks the same?

You should make something to switch the characters in stages, because if I choose Sonic, I will go with him in Tails and Knuckes stages

SonicOmega, you really need to learn how to accept criticism, as your level designs are bad, cramped, and not good to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back