R_Digital_race.wad (A race map.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i tested the level out and i really enjoyed it until i got to the blue texture part, then i just quit. please remove the cheapness from the level.

I don't see what's so hard about it.

~from start to first checkpoint~
It was relatively easy to clear. You hit the first spring, bounce off the second, then hit the hit the third. Sonic and Knuckles had no trouble there, and Tails by passed it all pretty quickly.

~From first to second checkpoint~

Sonic was the fastest taking the bottom route, While Tails got both up and down paths. Knuckles got the most of the upper path, but it all came down to getting the small path above the death pit. No matter who it was, anyone that got that path had a clear shot without problems. Just avoid teh pit in the middle before the next checkpoint, and you were good.

~From second to third checkpoint~

As long as you're not going to rush headstrong in there, you will avoid a quick death. Here's where a bit of thinking goes a long way, As sonic, just go in a zig-zag pattern and don't miss or overshoot your jumps, and you will not meet the reaper. With Tails and Knuckles, they actually have a great shortcut here. You'll have to be fast with Tails, but with Knuckles, you just have to get good height, and let 'er rip. It might be a race, But speed won't be enough if you're reckless with it.

~From third to forth checkpoint~

Again, as long as you don't rush in, You'll be fine. Sonic will do wonders here, But because of lower speed, Tails and Knuckles may get the edge over inexperienced Sonic users, especially if they avoid dying from the hit. I found just running while using the strafe kept me out of harms way, with any of the three characters.

~from forth to fifth checkpoint~

It's a simple follow the path and don't try to cheat ahead. As long as you follow the course, you won't suffer the painful death that you desperately need to avoid.

~from fifth to Sixth checkpoint~

Like before, follow the path and you'll make it.

~from sixth to Finish~

This is what irks people, I'm guessing. The ceiling is too short, and you end up hitting it while rising as Sonic, therefore causing you to fall to your death. Theoretically, Knuckles can make it no problem, but If you run right into the rising area, No one will make it.

To solve this, don't run into it, JUMP into it.

If you get a good running start and Jump into the rising area, You will be shot into the air, and still be able to use the jump action. Tails and Knuckles users have the best edge here, for if you jump into it, You will always make the gap, no matter what. Sonic, however, is very much harder to do, but it's not impossible, just hold the jump button to get as much air as possible, and get ready.

At the height of your ascend, Use the air action, and you will make the jump. As before, Tails and Knuckles will do it without problems, And if done right, Sonic will make it with room to spare.

Follow the path, and congratulate yourself, you have finished a lap without any problems.

-------

And that's the thing. It's do-able, you just have to think about what you're doing and how you do it.

Remember, 'Being Fast' and 'Rushing It' are two different things, if you are getting game overs, then you might be rushing it, and that's not good.

-------

As for Warpshade's statement about Tails and Knuckles being handicapped, I'm trying to figure out how they can't stand up to the job. I had the easiest time with Knuckles, while Tails was mainly in between, it was Sonic I had trouble dealing with, but I still got through it.

As for the creativity goes, if that was meant for how players can finish this stage, then that's not completely true. Granted, there's only one way to finish the stage, but I found different ways to do it as Sonic, Tails AND even Knuckles. It might be little details, but because it can mean the difference between victory and Defeat, it shouldn't be overlooked. They are there, you just have to do a bit of experimenting.

-------

All in all, I feel that this stage is a good 10/10. Just my opinion though, don't pay me much mind.

Django Urikashima said:
I don't see what's so hard about it.

To solve this, don't run into it, JUMP into it.

And that's the thing. It's do-able, you just have to think about what you're doing and how you do it.

OK, how were we supposed to figure that out? Just because we made a mistake in thinking does not mean we should be punished with our character dying. Analytical maneuvers do not make a Circuit race. While analytical maneuvers can make an awesome Single Player stage, we still shouldn't be forced to do it a special way so we don't inevitably die. Carnival Night Zone Act 2 anyone?

Oh you think this is hard? Im gonna make a level twice as ahrd as this!
I really lliked this level. The design and theme were awesome.
However, the path and the analytical thing reminded me of minesweeper for some reason. Overall except for the execution of the map, nice level! 7/10 !

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
OK, how were we supposed to figure that out? Just because we made a mistake in thinking does not mean we should be punished with our character dying. Analytical maneuvers do not make a Circuit race. While analytical maneuvers can make an awesome Single Player stage, we still shouldn't be forced to do it a special way so we don't inevitably die. Carnival Night Zone Act 2 anyone?

You make it sound like your committing a crime.

Truth be told, I don't see how this stage forces you to do anything but follow the track. Sure, it'll make you have to do some things a certain way with certain characters, but if it was truly forcing you to do things a certain way, it would have been a simple 'just thok to the end' type of stage.

Either way, if you keep dying from the walls, shouldn't that give you a warning to stop doing whatever you were doing and try a different maneuver? After all, if you get shocked by a door knob because you shuffled your feet about the ground, wouldn't you pick up your feet to keep it from happening again? *Rhetorical Question, do not answer*

Besides, the death walls, in my opinion, serve as a reminder that speed is only good if you can use it right. I died multiple times at first because I just wanted to see the end. After I took it a bit more slowly, I was able to get the race done with a good time compared to when I tried to rush through it and thoked right into the walls.

As for not knowing that you could jump into the rising areas... did you even attempt to try it? If your strategy, every time you came to that area, was 'Run and hope for the best', then it's no wonder you never made it.

If you truly think this stage is 'cheap' 'bland' or just plain 'bad' because of the hazards, challenge it gives, and/or traps you'll encounter along the way, without even experimenting with the stage to see about how you can do it without dying, then you might as well just stick to SRB2's default racing circuits.

After all, they are a straight forward, one way only, Tails and Knuckles discriminating, Sonic-only thok fest that would probably be a bit more your speed.

However, this stage has something that makes each character unique in their own sense. It can bring out the best of Sonic, Knuckles, and even Tails, while at the same time, bringing out the worst of each character respectively.

If you focus solely on the bad, this stage will never be good to anyone; but if you take the time to learn the stage and develop a strategy on how to finish it as fast as possible, Then this stage will serve it's purpose as a race map with actual challenges within.

If we have to experiment to actually complete a CIRCUIT stage, that's bad.

That is your opinion, and I have my own.

However, I feel a stage should be explored if it's new and you're unfamiliar with it, regardless if it's a Coop, Match or Capture the flag-kind of map. Otherwise, You're just running into it blindly and you're bound to either run into something dangerous, or even off a cliff without knowing.

But seeing as how you gave up before the first lap was completed, I can't expect you to see the good side of this stage like I can.

---------

Also, Pay attention to my whole post next time, not just the words in bold.

The iconic Circuit levels are the Sonic 3 levels-that's where the idea comes from. And if you want to try and tell me you win at them by holding right, then you apparently don't know how a circuit level should be.

Sonicandtails218 said:

The iconic Circuit levels are the Sonic 3 levels-that's where the idea comes from. And if you want to try and tell me you win at them by holding right, then you apparently don't know how a circuit level should be.

But that was 2D, dodging was a lot easier. This is 3D. Heck the challenges weren't that punishing in Sonic 3.

Sonicandtails218 said:

Mystic said:
MAPAA - Noxious Wood Zone by SRB2-Playah - 5/10
Okay, this one suffers a bit from what I'm going to call SRB2-Playah Circuit Map That Should Be A Full Single Player Zone Syndrome, or SRB2PCMTSBAFSPZS for short. This is not a good race map. However, with some enemies and some alternate paths and a little expansion, this could be an awesome single player stage.

Mystic said:
MAPAF - Magma Mines Zone by SRB2-Playah - 4/10
This, even more than the last one, suffers from SRB2PCMTSBAFSPZS. This does not work in race. Seriously. However, with a lot of expansion it would be an ace single player stage.

This race is just like those two aforementioned levels.

So... First you say it's bad because it's 'too hard' and you can't finish it, now it's bad because... it's lacking?

I mean really, make up your mind.

Even with your advice, I still can't make that jump. Also, let me reiterate:

* Way, way, way too long.
* Even Single Player stages flow better
* Cheap deaths.
* How are we supposed to know that those gates are Instant Kill without prior knowledge? That's VERY bad design.

Now, I like stages like Heaven Pass Zone, Tier, and Castletania. But not this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back