• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Hey! Check out one of our "friends" wads

Status
Not open for further replies.
hotdog003 said:
Still, that's not bad for a 10-year old. I see an awfull lot of persaverance in his work. He had to create all those stairs, and he had to re-re-re-tag about 6 FOFs. Now, me, I'm a lazy bum. I hate re-tagging blocks more than twice. That's why you never see any FOF stairs in my levels, unless I feel that they are absolutely neccesary. He has enough guts to WAD, he just doesn't have the knowladge of how to do it right. I'd give it a good 7/10, considering that it was made by a 10-year old and it was his first map, not to mention all the pressure that we demanded of him. That alone would make me quit.

If someone taught him how to WAD, then my guess would be that he would be one of the best when he gets just a little older; just enough to understand the concepts.
The thing is, there are an incredible amount of resources available to a new wadder at this point which can help deal with some of the idiotic problems he's got.

You don't want to see some of my early material, because I assure you it's crap. I had no tutorial, nothing but looking at other WADs and trying to mess with it to see what I could do. The first three were some of the glitchiest WADs on this planet. I uploaded them onto Geocities, and I knew they were glitchy. I didn't really understand how it worked. It took until my fourth WAD until I started to actually get praise for my work, and you'd know that fourth WAD as Crawla Valley Zone, and while it's pretty tiny and dull today, back in Demo 3 it was light-years ahead of the rest of the pack. It was done without any knowledge of how control sectors worked, and was quite glitchy, but it had some gameplay. My next major WAD, Aerial Garden, was when I started to hype a tad. It certainly wasn't the best WAD in the world by any means, but it definitely wasn't a glitch-fest and it definitely was playable.

Notice how long it took before I started to hype. AGZ was well beyond I was already successful as a wadder. Zash started to hype his stuff before he even had anything. That's the major difference between correct hype and making a total and complete fool of oneself. It's just common sense to wait until you have something before making claims. I'm not objecting to the fact that he made a crappy WAD. EVERYONE's first WAD is a hunk of cow manure. It's how he publicized it that makes me laugh at him. THIS is supposedly the best thing in the world, and it comes out to being his first test WAD without a thok barrier. That's not even worthy of release, it's just a first WAD test and nothing more.

Also, before you defend him from his age, that really isn't an excuse. We've had several members of the community at his age and younger that managed to avoid making total fools of themselves. Low age is a good excuse for immaturity, but it's not a good excuse for making claims you cannot make good on.

As the file is, it's not that funny. It's just someone's first test WAD. With the months of hype and angst over it, I personally find it HYSTERICAL that this is all it was. I was expecting a much bigger glitchy WAD without a thok barrier ^_~

Mystic said:
I'd assume what happened was that Zash saw that SRB2 could be modded, decided he had to do it himself, made a bunch of claims on the message board, and then started to work. After about 3-4 hours, he realized it wouldn't be a cakewalk to make anything, and stopped. When we started to demand proof, he finished that piece of crap, which is what you see now.
Which is why i want to finish at least half of my mod before telling anybody incase it wont work out. Heck, im working the same map slowly for days.

Ah. So, what you're saying is, it isn't the WAD that's bad, it's the fact that he was saying how cool it was and how it was the best thing in the world... when it obviously wasn't.

I see.

hotdog003 said:
Ah. So, what you're saying is, it isn't the WAD that's bad, it's the fact that he was saying how cool it was and how it was the best thing in the world... when it obviously wasn't.

I see.
Exactly.

See, it's times like this that make me thankful that I work on what I work on silently, no hyping or any crap until it's actually, ya know, DONE. Or near enough that putting it off isn't very likely.

dude,my first wad(eggmanway) was less glitchier then that.... and i didn't know how to make FOF's or Water >_> <_<

Astral Fortress was my first wad, and I dare you to find a glitch in there.

I'm in the same place as Mystic. IRCers can tell you about Grass Highway or Last Stand (Or you can find out for yourself), but after that came Hidden Palace, and people actually liked that. And for the record, not much planning went into Hidden Palace either. I drew the design for it on the back of my English book's paper bag cover, and it didn't change much from that. Hell, my plans for Emerald War are rather ambitious by my standards, but at least I haven't hyped it too much, considering I have all of one zone done.

I'm making a fangame. If you don't find a bug in that piece of... er, I won't finish that... then you are hallucinating and should seek medical help immediately.
>.<

I've actually never done any planning for any of my WADs. I get an idea, then I just throw it together in DoomBuilder, and play. If I don't like how something looks, then I change it. All my ideas are either stuck in my head or pressed into a WAD, nowhere in between.

CTF Garden Zone was my first wad. Though I crossed a lot of linedefs and couldn't figure out how to manage FOFs and water and such, the only major glitch in it is that if you look to the right while on those AGZ-style springs, you'll cause the game to crash for some reason. (The wad file contains "BUGS" and "NOTES" lumps in plain text format, if you care to look... And I made a newer version later, when I got enough to wad glitchlessly)

Then I made Castle Laberinth Zone, which was supposed to be a massive maze in Castle Eggman's backyard. It was supposed to be RPG-ish, so you could look at a cracked wall and that tells you there was a deton around the corner and such... And you go around another turn and find a ton of enemys guarding a button to open the door to the next room and stuff... My first use of water, incorrect colormap and all, more crossing linedefs, and a door... Dun remember if I ever got that door to work or not... The Eggmobile boss at the end was supposed to guard the first checkpoint, but I never made any more beyond that.

Next I tried a 2D level and custom textures and such (I already did custom music in CTF Garden, of course) so I made Toxic Caves. Due to the Toxic Caves music, this wad is 6 MB... I should one day go back to revamp this like CTF Garden, but is it worth it? This was also my first 3 act "Zone". Next was GHZ DM Zone and then all my other contest wads, ending in Jason's Base, where I left contest wadding behind and went to improve my skills by doing all kinds of crazy wads including SA City (which was 40 MB or so) and some other memorable little things, most of which I eventually uploaded to my website as well... I spent a lot of time keeping with a441's FD 1.08 betas, learning new map headers, map scripts, and SOC editing as fast as they were being created.

I never really got any praise for any of my work until SA City, and that was just a few people in private netgames. It only lasted a month, though, and then I was nobody again. It wasn't until SPMoves that I got any more praise for my work, and SPMoves led people to my website where they found Technology Complex, which they liked as well for some reason. So I made Lightbulb Factory Zone. People liked that too.

What's the point of this large history of mine? Well it's partially to say "Ha ha, my first wads didn't suck at all, I was ALWAYS good at this stuff" and partially because my history wasn't well documented elsewhere... But looking at it like this makes me wonder why I even bothered learning to wad this well in the first place. Possably only for my own enjoyment, possably for "fame and fortune", but SA-Srb2 and Mystic Realm stole the glory from the message boards and all newbies who fell into this hellhole and Shadow's various EggmanWay packs stole whatever was left from IRC. So I was pretty much left unappreciated most of my life here.
That sucks.

Jason the Echidna said:
"Ha ha, my first wads didn't suck at all, I was ALWAYS good at this stuff"

Jason the Echidna said:
CTF Garden Zone was my first wad. Though I crossed a lot of linedefs and couldn't figure out how to manage FOFs and water and such.

Jason the Echidna said:
So I was pretty much left unappreciated most of my life here.
You're probably known as the best SOC editor around... Go look at JTE's Pad.

Omega, you know he's insane. Just smile and nod.

Oh, and I always appreciated you, JTE. Whenever I need someone to add textures and crap for me, you're always the only person I bother. =)

Jason the Echidna said:
CTF Garden Zone was my first wad. Though I crossed a lot of linedefs and couldn't figure out how to manage FOFs and water and such, the only major glitch in it is that if you look to the right while on those AGZ-style springs, you'll cause the game to crash for some reason. (The wad file contains "BUGS" and "NOTES" lumps in plain text format, if you care to look... And I made a newer version later, when I got enough to wad glitchlessly)
My first hunk of junk never crashed, but it was utter crap. I have a bugfixed version of it in MR4 hidden somewhere for the curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back