• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dash's World: Moving to releases/massive update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet. Sadily, the computer where i'm at is slow, so this will take a while. And then I have to email it from somebody's account on here, and then wait untill I get home. :<

At first glance, I was like, "zomg he's lyk total overhaul mod madness!!11!!1", then when I opened it, I thought I was going to see something amazing. The menu was very nice; it set the mood for what I expected was the mod, but it ended in severe disappointment. Yes, you can focus on only the source, and believe me when I say, you're doing a decent job, but the levels... ugh, the levels just lack substance. What makes the mod is the actually gameplay, not any fancy menu or effects.

A few subtle differences I noticed with the menu and such:
[Positive changes are marked with +, negatives marked with -.]

-The intro, with your name on it, zooms out before going to the menu instead of just abruptly changing. [+]
-When selecting a character, you still see the scrolling background. Now, this is a plus in some cases, but overall, it's a minus, since you can still see the "Dash's World" title behind it. It just looks a bit off when you do it that way. [-]
-When using fullscreen, it sometimes locks you in, and disallows you to come out of it properly (as in, switch to fullscreen no without it switching back again). [-]
-It does not save my configuration whenever I restart, and my controls are MUCH different than yours, so this was very annoying. Yes, I tried saveconfig and other things, and it still didn't work. It didn't save my default resolution, either, which is _VERY_ annoying. [-]
-Menu titles have been spruced up a bit. That's fine. [+]
-You completely removed (or screwed up) proper invincibility time after being hit, thus being able to be killed right after being touched by a crawla, or falling into water that hurts you. [--]
-You made it so Alt + F4 doesn't close the game. What the hell? How awkward is it to change Alt + F4 to F10? It's a bit too much of a derailment to actually feel right, here. [-]
-You made it so the cursor is forced to be in the exact center of a windowed instance of your mod. That can get very disruptive if you're also doing other things in the background (multitasking). [-]

I'm probably missing some, but whatever. The changes are very minor, and the only thing I see different with OpenGL mode is the automatic MD2 ON thing.

About the levels: No. What do you expect to make a mod out of if you have no maps to showcase? Seriously, you can edit the source code all you want, but with no maps, there's no point. "olol i has super special awesome mod it supports slopes, loops, 3D models, opengl, and lots of othr stuf lol, but thers no levels to show u, sry :(" (EXAGGERATION, OKAY?)
So I checked out the first level, and at first glance, I was struck with what seemed to be happiness. I had thought you actually made a good level, as the first room was better than average. Then as I continued, it got worse, and worse, and worse. The structure was okay, but everything else was just bland. No colormapped waters, stairs are not ramped, dull rooms with nothing inside them (dead-ends, essentially), and the whole thing just seems a bit on the "Sonic is unsupported" side (certain areas where Sonic could get stuck in, he couldn't get out by jumping, so it's Tails/Knux only to survive in this mod, then). Then I realized something: There's no exit. You don't even have one map done?! How can you release a beta version of your modification if the only actual modification you did was very minor source code edits? Although I don't know how much coding you actually committed to this, the effects were minor. Simply minor. They didn't explode in your face, and didn't give you anything to say except "Neat." I managed to find another map, though, and it's not only totally unfinished, but it has a broken thok barrier, and HOMs (or REDWALLs) all over the place. Fantastic. I like the little edits a lot, Dash, but compared to what I was expecting from this, considering what you made it look like, was a huge disappointment, and has left me with an empty feeling that makes me regret downloading this near-50mb mod.

3.5/10~

Ash said:
Seriously, you can edit the source code all you want, but with no maps, there's no point. "olol i has super special awesome mod it supports slopes, loops, 3D models, opengl, and lots of othr stuf lol, but thers no levels to show u, sry :(" (EXAGGERATION, OKAY?)
Early versions of Shufflarb2, anyone?

So, um... this thing is VERY incomplete and messy right now. It wasn't really meant to be a semi-complete, playable thing as of yet(which I really should have clarified more) the levels included should have been removed. Next release is going to not include all the large data files.

-When using fullscreen, it sometimes locks you in, and disallows you to come out of it properly (as in, switch to fullscreen no without it switching back again). [-]

Never noticed that

-It does not save my configuration whenever I restart, and my controls are MUCH different than yours, so this was very annoying. Yes, I tried saveconfig and other things, and it still didn't work. It didn't save my default resolution, either, which is _VERY_ annoying. [-]

I don't remember changing that, I'll fix it..

-You completely removed (or screwed up) proper invincibility time after being hit, thus being able to be killed right after being touched by a crawla, or falling into water that hurts you. [--]

Yeah, I know, I'm re-adding proper invinciblity

-You made it so the cursor is forced to be in the exact center of a windowed instance of your mod. That can get very disruptive if you're also doing other things in the background (multitasking). [-]

Have no clue how that happened..

We are currently in the super-pre-alpha-development phase, don't rate it yet.

-makes me regret downloading this near-50mb mod.

switching all data files to the normal files ASAP and adding the REAL levels and data later when source stuff is done...

I apologize for the large download size and lack of expected content.

I thought I was going to see something amazing.

And the total "OVRHALL" is coming, of course.

I'll Begin said:
Trilinear = broken flats.
Screenshot? I don't see any broken flats...

Listen, if it was VERY incomplete (as you say), you shouldn't have released it so early. What's the sense in rushing if it's not going to climb up to par? =|

Ash said:
if it was VERY incomplete (as you say), you shouldn't have released it so early. What's the sense in rushing if it's not going to climb up to par? =|

I agree,
It was kind of a "Hey, I forgot I had this srb2.srb replacement sitting on my desktop, maybe I'll release the whole thing early." kind of thing, I also forgot to add all the new stuff I added to DashsWorld2.wad in the data file. /:

When I finish the real first release I'll make sure I only put things in the zip that's absolutely necessary and that I pack some real meat in there.

LOTS OF PROGRESS!

shot0040.png

IT'S REAL!!!!!

Other Features:

Works for Windows and Mac(sorry linux users)
Color based names
Faked sprite reflection
Experimental colormap based fog
Netgame map changes
Mapinfo - a description of a map that the player sees before he starts the level
Buddies - The Dash's World equivalent of jte's bots, but smarter(Unstable right now)
Day to night feature (Like shuffle's but better)
Particles - with more types of particles to choose from
Super Huge Texture set
Smarter MD2 handling
A little slope stuff
FASTER FRAMERATE!!!!!

A video would be a lot more plausible than an image, really.
I admit, it looks good, but I'm highly skeptical that this is real. And, even if it were (It does look convincing), it's probably not SRB2, is it?

Nope, it's real, I'll upload a few more screenshots.

Edit: Here's a screenshot with the HUD on, showing a screenshot of the same part of the level with slopes off.

This is seriously srb2(1.09-current), I'll release an exe soon with a level showing slopes.

Only catch is that OpenGL is the only renderer supported in my mod due to the heavy use of models and 3D accelerated stuff.

shot0007.png

Those blue things are particles that I'm trying out.

DashFox2007 said:
Nope, it's real, I'll upload a few more screenshots.

Edit: Here's a screenshot with the HUD on, showing a screenshot of the same part of the level with slopes off.

This is seriously srb2(1.09-current), I'll release an exe soon with a level showing slopes.

Only catch is that OpenGL is the only renderer supported in my mod due to the heavy use of models and 3D accelerated stuff.

(Image...thing)

Those blue things are particles that I'm trying out.

Well, sucks for most people who can't handle opengl, don't it?

Get better hardware, seriously :/ Even poor cards have decent OpenGL support. Unless your drivers are from Microsoft. Then you're doomed to death DX

Still, I guess OpenGL should become the default renderer then, right?

I tried it, it seems to be the same. Whenever it's full screen, it's tinted blue and lags to no end.

I have to put the resolution to 320 x 240 in windowed mode to make the lagging stop.

However, I doubt I would want to play opengl on a very small windowed screen.

No, wait, forget about DirectX, OpenGL is going to be the default renderer.
I haven't touched MGL's source, so I'm pretty sure it works still.

Also, the default window size is 640x400.

DashFox2007 said:
shot0040.png

Works for Windows and Mac(sorry linux users)

lol good joke there its super funnies xd

Anyways, the image links seem broken. Maybe you could fix them?

Chaos Knuckles said:
Sure, I could just go and buy one. Not that simple.
Man, my previous video card sucked horribly (32MB on-board with almost no acceleration, think on it) and it still could handle OpenGL properly :/

And MiniGL is exactly the same as OpenGL but without coronas and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back