Cue's MS is back and NO LONGER UNDER CONTROLLED CONDITIONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it only for private, or private AND public servers the whitelist? Because if it's for public too, then it won't be public anymore. (I'm not defending the n00bs, it's just that if the people aren't n00bs, but if they aren't in the whitelist, then it would kinda suck.) But that's my point of view...

Private?

The master server can't control ingame servers. It just controls which servers are allowed to be show up on its list.

For instance, someone banned on the SRB2MS can still list their server on the SigSev Cafe MS.

Hmm, i guess this works.
For now, only responsible players will be able to host responsible netgames.

I cant host anyway, so it dosent effect me in the least, but i was getting tired of trying to join servers where noobs had added around 200 different wads.

It might be a good expieriance to actually be able to fire up SRB2 and join a legit netgame.

I would PM my I but, I don't have atatic IP. --
And I don't think I'm changing it anytime soon.

Cue, why on the heavenly earth would you deliberately spawn more problems out of an already-problematic situation?

Penopat said:
Blue Warrior said:
Would you rather he simply shut down the master server again?

Considering we have yours, sure.

Considering most of the common netgamers would never find a way to switch to Blue Warrior's in the first place, no.

I've just been talking to someone on my server who was against the master server rules. Seemed respectable; he typed properly, and he was actually good at match, which was the gametype we were playing. But he had no idea what a "master server" was until a player and I just explained it to him.

Not everyone who understands the workings of the master server is a "noob", as I think we stereotype too often. Clearly this was a person simply into casually playing SRB2 online; he had no interest in the forum community, and he probably only visited srb2.org every once in a while. Actually, not probably -- that is the case, or else he would already have known about the master server rules before our discussion. The question is, how did he not know about the rules?

The answer is simple. Where do you see "Master Server" on srb2.org's navigation? You don't. Here the SRB2 download is in plain sight, with ms.srb2.org as its default master server address, yet from the main navigation of srb2.org and their own game, they have been given no clue as to how the master server works, or that there are even rules. Since the reason why most hosts don't agree to stop hanging out is they are convinced no rules exist, I think one of the biggest problems clearly is the fact we don't have Master Server in srb2.org's navigation; a stupidly obvious mistake that could have been fixed in a matter of seconds.

So while we're at this whole radical master server revival thing, can we please add a link to the Master Server in srb2.org's navigation? Also, we might as well add a notice on the master server page that says "You will need to be approved before you can host games on this master server. If you disagree with these rules, here is a list of other master servers:"

Because apparently organizing our community documentation is totally our strong point.

I agree with you 100%, BW.

I wish we had a much better communication team here because I do agree it is crap. Some of our recent things that has happened should have been on the main website and we should get rid of those blogs. We never use them anyways...

Chrome said:
Penopat said:
Blue Warrior said:
Would you rather he simply shut down the master server again?

Considering we have yours, sure.

Considering most of the common netgamers would never find a way to switch to Blue Warrior's in the first place, no.

... and reactivating the offical MS is going to make just make them even more ignorant of this.

Refer to BW's post, since he kinda explained the fault here.

Blue Warrior said:

That's actually very good. We should make it easier for people new to internets in general. I mean, I looked for the rules, doesn't mean everyone else would off by heart.

I think there should be a "Master Server Rules" menu added in the game when you go in the multiplayer menu, so that before you start to host/join a game you can see the master server rules section and users can go in there and read them.

Then again, when you go into "host game" there is clearly a paragraph of text explaining what the rules are, so there's not much point, but that also makes me think that the people who broke the rules always saw that paragraph but decided to ignore it, so what would be the point in adding a master server section to the website if the truth is all the hosts who broke the rules deliberatly avoided reading that paragraph in "host game" or any other information on the rules?

Now that I think about it, that paragraph was only added in 1.09.4.a, and I have no idea how many normal users on the master server got that version, because as far as I remember there was no release of 1.09.4.a on srb2.org, it was only released in a thread on the forums, so there's a chance not many people who use the master server got the newest version, so they wouldn't see that paragraph of rules.

If the game did that, then technically the game assumes that the master server rules apply to all master servers in existence. Honestly, I think the answer is obviously to just add the master server address to srb2.org's navigation. Everyone who goes to the site will see that, so there's no better alternative. But if you wanted to go a little bit farther, you could make some mention of the master server in the SRB2 manual provided as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back