Anyone else disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Maybe fix this issue by KEEPING the emerald token(saves)?

I find the complaints about the new save system to be honestly downright absurd, considering we're doing the same thing Sonic 3 did. The other Sonic games didn't even let you save at all. The save system we've had has always been way too generous. What do you want now? Savestate keys? Try searching out extra lives and hidden items so you have enough lives for Eggrock later.

I don't recall Angel Island zone 20 minutes long....

glaber said:
Sonic 3's Levels were shorter and your emeralds were Saved. Here the Emeralds reset with the progress.
EX:SRB2: you have 3 emeralds at the start of the zone, you game over after getting emerald 4 and have to get emerald 4 all over again.
S3Alone: you game over after the 4th emerald, you keep the emerald, your level progress resets, and the big rings you've jumped into so far don't show up again.
Now this is a legitimate suggestion. Make it save which emerald tokens you've used on the save file when you Game Over.

I will note, though: Sonic 3K's stages are NOT smaller than SRB2's. They take about the same amount of time, going quickly, as Sonic 3K's stages do.

Mystic said:
glaber said:
Sonic 3's Levels were shorter and your emeralds were Saved. Here the Emeralds reset with the progress.
EX:SRB2: you have 3 emeralds at the start of the zone, you game over after getting emerald 4 and have to get emerald 4 all over again.
S3Alone: you game over after the 4th emerald, you keep the emerald, your level progress resets, and the big rings you've jumped into so far don't show up again.
Now this is a legitimate suggestion. Make it save which emerald tokens you've used on the save file when you Game Over.

Are you saying that it'd save the emeralds along with those, or are you being cruel and saying that you'd lose the emeralds, and the emerald tokens wouldn't spawn? Because that would be awful.

I'm not really disappointed at all. My complaints are:

-When the game saves, it doesn't save per act (imo - it should, really).
-There's no OpenGL.

glaber said:
:SonicMaster: edited said:
Guys, I don't think you understand, but saving after every Zone makes the Continue feature completely useless. What if you game over in Egg Rock Zone Act 1? This is where a Continue would play in.
It woks this way too.

At least Sonic 3 had the No Save Option.

If you die in Act 2, you respawn in Act 2 when using a Continue. It most certainly has a use, because you can't access Act 2 from your gamesave.

At this point, SM, The old save system is needed. Why? Because the SigSev/ CRASH rate just went up! A continue does me no good when I crash thanks to a sigsev.

(And yes, I sigsev'ed on ERZ act 2. NEAR the START.)

At this point I would like to kindly remind everyone playing in an aspect-incorrect ratio that said incorrect ratios are slightly bugged, and can sigsegv at random.

Y'know, like they always have.

Additionally, Glaber, I don't honestly care how many times you complain, the save system from 1.09.4 isn't coming back. It's through. Done. Gone. End.

Well, it MAY get changed, but your complaining isn't going to be the cause of it, and just makes us all want to smack you. Regardless, it's not going to be a simple change because the REASONING behind the change to the save system still applies. The problem may just be that there aren't enough stages in the game yet and the difficulty curve is to blame for why the save system feels frustrating. It also may be that you're just all used to too many crutches and removing one of them generates massive QQ. It also may be that the save system should go back to what it was originally. However, we don't make design decisions based on message board whining, so please stop it; we get it, you hate the save system. Go talk about something else now.

I like the new levels much more than I like the old ones, *including the first 4 zones* Those were waaay too short, especially in comparison to the newer ones, I hope these get lengthened in certain updates. I personally don't mind the save system either. Probably because no one can move me off my screen before I know that I put an end to another one of Eggman's contraptions. Me and a few friends had a blast working together in coop, I never had so much fun. I'm very happy this game came out the way it did. The only thing that bugs me, (just a pinch) is the fact that whenever I'm playing Ctf/match, rather than it being that current game type, it feels more like a emerald hunt. And it gets very annoying when people are targeting purely you for your emeralds.

I have only two complaints with the Save System, and I think they will be somehow changed.

1) If you get to a Zone with only 1 life, and you get you final Game Over, your saved game keep being at one life with no credits, making advancing extremelly hard. In Sonic 3, if you got the final Game Over, you got 3 lives (and I don´t remember if a credit too). That´s more fair, because if you have 1 life to finish a level where you already died... You better start a new game.

2) If the game crashes, it saves your game. That itself couldn´t be bad, but it saves even if you are on Act 2. Last time, it meant that my 25 lives save in ERZ1 became a 8 lives save in ERZ1, just because the crash. It shouldn´t be that way, if you are making me play again the entire zone, at least don´t save my game when I lose those lives.

That´s my only two complaints with this save system. I think it´s better this way.

Take notes, glaber. This is how you offer your opinion.

Knuckles MetalMind said:
1) If you get to a Zone with only 1 life, and you get you final Game Over, your saved game keep being at one life with no credits, making advancing extremelly hard. In Sonic 3, if you got the final Game Over, you got 3 lives (and I don´t remember if a credit too). That´s more fair, because if you have 1 life to finish a level where you already died... You better start a new game.

Get 2.0.1, KMM, it fixes that problem.

2) If the game crashes, it saves your game. That itself couldn´t be bad, but it saves even if you are on Act 2. Last time, it meant that my 25 lives save in ERZ1 became a 8 lives save in ERZ1, just because the crash. It shouldn´t be that way, if you are making me play again the entire zone, at least don´t save my game when I lose those lives.

Now this is a cool idea. We might be able to try saving the game upon a crash, no guarantees but it can be looked into.

SSNTails said:
Take notes, glaber. This is how you offer your opinion.

Knuckles MetalMind said:

Get 2.0.1, KMM, it fixes that problem.

Now this is a cool idea. We might be able to try saving the game upon a crash, no guarantees but it can be looked into.

Saving during crashes wouldn't work out so well, because it'd be pretty easy to abuse; it's not that hard to force crashes.

You mean like some sort of temporary "restore" point upon a crash, that saves the level you were on at that time? That sounds neat. Upon loading that, the save should probably "re-save" the save file at act 1 (since that's how it should perform), but being able to restore a game if such game crashes is a very novel idea.

Spazzo said:
You mean like some sort of temporary "restore" point upon a crash, that saves the level you were on at that time? That sounds neat. Upon loading that, the save should probably "re-save" the save file at act 1 (since that's how it should perform), but being able to restore a game if such game crashes is a very novel idea.

See my above post.

Anyway, the only really usable idea I can think of is saving at the start of a zone if you earned any Chaos Emeralds (but not between special stages). Considering how big of a role they play in the game, I'd think it'd be fair. It's a tad irritating to have to replay special stages (or normal stages, for that matter) anyway.

I'm never disappointed with Sonic Team Jr's work. Everything here was very polished, and altough not finished, it felt like a full game. The only stages that I were disappointed on was ACZ and RVZ. ACZ was just confusing on where to go and ending up making me lose about 18 lives there trying to figure out where to go. RVZ was decent, but if you're gonna make it possible to fall into the lava, at least make a reachable spring to escape from the lava... :/

After from what I read on this topic, almost everyone seems to complain about the save system, but as for me, I feel that something needs to change, but not necessarily the save system.

A suggestion would be to be more generous with 1-Ups. A good idea in Sonic games is to zoom past the levels in a stupid manner, but sometimes, one should stop and get some supplies for latter on. In SRB2, this is a hard task. Passing certain levels is already hard as it is, but getting lives is even worse. I rarely see 1-Ups in SRB2, and that should be changed, specially for the latter levels.

The latter zones should be easier. Not necessarily remove certain platforms that require risky jumps, but make life a bit easier. For instance, [spoiler:b7a9ef42c1]ERZ2 has a part with a laser cannon above and walls that close at each shot. A good thing to do would be to place 1-3 rings right before that fight. I can't tell you how many times it took me to get past that part, specially because I had no protection, and because the cannon doesn't fire at the right time. We hear the warning sound, and the laser should only be fired after that, like in Sonic 3.[/spoiler:b7a9ef42c1]

ERZ... ERZ is waaaay long. Sure, almost other Sonic games had huge levels, specially the last ones. But answer me this: did the last zones from other games featured [spoiler:b7a9ef42c1]SEVERAL traps, PLENTY risky jumps, and LOTS of challenges[/spoiler:b7a9ef42c1]? No. I'm not saying that it should be easier, or else the fun would be thrown right off, but I suggest you split it somehow. Because getting trough ERZ is HARD, and after you are sweating like a fountain, gasping for air, wiggling your wrists and resting as you enter ERZ3, you die after a couple of times (it takes some lives to figure out how the Boss works), and Game Over. And guess what? A LOT of hard work needs to be put again.

In short, keep this save system, but if you are going to keep it, I suggest looking at my suggestions. I'm far from forcing you to do them, but hey: If life has thought me something, it's that leisure activities (such has video games) are a lot more enjoyable when they are easy. Do you want fans to play, or to toil?
Summing up:
  • Be more generous with the 1-Ups.
  • Some hard areas should offer more protection, or less chance of failing.
  • Segment harder levels.
Sorry for the long text; I'm just another whining fan. But I really want to see SRB2 reach epicness, and so far, it's almost there, except for the things that disappoint fans, such as these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back