All of JTE's SRB2 stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZTaimat, you can choose to only download wads I've made or something if you want. :P

6 people downloading the whole thing with no problem at last count.

1-Up said:
How do you extract the wads?

First you need to have a torrent program and go through the slow slow process of extracting the zip files from the torrent. Then you have to extract the WADs from the zip files. The whole process should take up the rest of your life. Mostly in the torrent.

Yes, that's another reason they're slow.
Because of gigantic filesize of the file in question. V_V

KingofFlames said:
I meant OUT of the Torrent, why? 'cause I'm literally afraid of downloading another one of those programs.
Why, nobody's gonna arrest you for downloading free files. I don't see why people hate torrents, you must all be downloading things with 0 seeds and expecting to get some sort of uber fast downloads.
Honestly, where do you expect JTE to get 700 MB of space to upload this? I suppose you could always bug him to send it on IRC, or something, though.

Draykon said:
First you need to have a torrent program and go through the slow slow process of extracting the zip files from the torrent.
You ignorant fool. You cannot "extract" files from a torrent. The torrent contains only the hash checks for the files, the tracker address(es), and optionally some author information or comments (the comments section in this torrent is a copy of the readme.txt)...

The BitTorrent system is that of a peer-to-peer data exchange system. You're not extracting the files from the torrent, as the torrent contains pretty much nothing. You're downloading the files from a bunch of other people, piecing them together, and checking to see that everything went well as you go. This is why it takes so long; While you have already downloaded the .torrent file, that is merely a link to download the actual data.

That aside, yes, it does take a long time. But that's it. It merely takes time and bandwith (though bandwith usage can be limited at the cost of more time, so it's best to find a balance between the two. Having it set to use all the bandwith it can get will make it do just that: Take your internet connection away while it downloads.)... And like I said earlier, you can have it set to download the files one at a time.

If I put it up somewhere, it'd only take 6 hours to download, but then there's no guarantee that:
  • It wouldn't be partially screwed up due to a bad download (in the worst case, causing the zip to be corrupt beyond the point where you can get ANYTHING out of it) and you'd have to download it all over again to get the broken parts fixed...
  • The connection wouldn't cut off halfway through causing you to have to start all over (because I know you idiots probably use IE and IE's default downloader, which probably still lacks a resume option...)
  • You would be able to open the zip enough to get some wads out to play while you wait for the rest. Probably can't be done if it's a single file, definately can't be done if it's a chopped up multi-file zip...
  • It will always be there. All the "Free upload, up to 1 GB!" sites out there take files down after a week or less. Some of them even take it down after just 10 downloads or so, as well.

It is for these reasons that I decided a torrent would be best. I'm sorry you are dissatisfied with my decision.

While I hate BitTorrent, it IS the proper method of distributing really big files. JTE doesn't have an army of extremely fast XDCC bots or some kind of uber FTP server, so this is the only practical way to distribute a file over around 100 MB.

Common sense, people, common sense.

I know, I know. This is technically the best way to transmit gigantic files unless you have a private server with almost no bandwidth limits. But I still hate it.

it took me like 2 hours to download it, and i believe it WAS worth it, i like alot of files that JTE has in those zips

Draykon said:
I know, I know. This is technically the best way to transmit gigantic files unless you have a private server with almost no bandwidth limits. But I still hate it.
Pff, I have barely any bandwidth usage. If you want, JTE, I could host a zip for you for the people that still don't trust torrent. With any luck, there won't be any problems with the zip, and it'll be quicker. That, and I likely won't run out of bandwidth.

It gave me an error when trying to run doom1srb2.wad.It said something about afall1 is there a way i can fix this?

spoone said:
It gave me an error when trying to run doom1srb2.wad.It said something about afall1 is there a way i can fix this?
Yes, learn punctuation then come back to the internet 15 years later.

It gave me an error when trying to run doom1srb2.wad; it said something about "afall1." Is there a way I can fix this?

And he really does mean "afall1".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back