1.09.3 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
- noresetplayers removed. That'll effect netgames and multiplayer a lot (negative) -What's the point of running around as super sonic in match, hm?

- multi-glide gone. What reason to play as the weak Knux now? -Match mode, although it should be in coop, race, and single player.

- multi-thok gone....now its just a damn speed boost. -That was the original point. >.>

- some extra stuff gone that could be used to mess around with a bit -Like that godmode in match?

- support for lots of mods and wads gone. -This is due to updating, it isn't hard to fix older wads and mods to work again.

- multiplayer only relies on match now. Fun factor for other modes is gone. - Who said you can't have a good time in race and coop? Circuit mode is good for a craziness factor, and CTF relies on team play, and is very different from most modes.

They're making SRB2 too clean for our cheaty little hands! I want to cheat with SRB2's internal commands, not Cheat Engine!

Comply with us unless you want to lose your fanbase!

You guys do realize that this prevents stupid n00bs from cheating in netgames too, right? We may be at a loss, but their loss is greater.

Super mystic sonic said:
SUCKAGE:
- noresetplayers removed. That'll effect netgames and multiplayer a lot (negative)
It will? News to me...
Super mystic sonic said:
- multi-glide gone. What reason to play as the weak Knux now?
We removed that back in 1.09.0. This shouldn't be new to anyone.
Super mystic sonic said:
- multi-thok gone....now its just a damn speed boost.
God. Let's not even TALK about the multi-thok. The multi-thok was the most overpoweringly ridiculous move ever. It's gone for GOOD DAMN REASON. This is coming from someone who absolutely loved to abuse the multi-thok, too. That was also removed a long time ago. I believe we removed it for 1.08, but it might have been removed as early as 1.01.
Super mystic sonic said:
- some extra stuff gone that could be used to mess around with a bit
Like what? We discourage hacking and cheating, unless it's sanctioned by the game so the game knows you're doing it. God mode is fine because the game recognizes it as a cheat. Hacking to unlock stuff is not fine.
Super mystic sonic said:
- support for lots of mods and wads gone.
That's not really true at all. Each incremental version generally gives modders MORE tools at their disposal. For instance, 1.09.3.X has support for custom unlockables. In the "golden age" of SRB2 you seem to miss, where the multithok and multiglide existed, and all of the security was gone, you couldn't even give levels their own title card without using an image editor to draw your title card manually. Level headers, SOCs, and all these other modding features are designed to add support. Pretty much the only mods I can think of that are broken are EXE mods and SASRB2.
Super mystic sonic said:
- multiplayer only relies on match now. Fun factor for other modes is gone.
So the insane popularity of modes such as Capture the Flag and Circuit are just a fluke? SRB2 netplay is more varied and interesting than it ever was in 1.09, and while there are issues with game balance, the game itself has a ton of stuff to do. We add more multiplayer features constantly, so I simply don't see the over-reliance on match.

Mystic said:
Super mystic sonic said:
SUCKAGE:
- noresetplayers removed. That'll effect netgames and multiplayer a lot (negative)
It will? News to me...
You could go to levels without losing anything. And sometimes, i've been working very hard to get some stuff. By the way, how can you cheat with -noresetplayers anyway? It only works when you are in multiplayer, or when you modified the game with godmode or something
Super mystic sonic said:
- multi-glide gone. What reason to play as the weak Knux now?
We removed that back in 1.09.0. This shouldn't be new to anyone.
Yes, but Knuckles is way weaker now, especialy since you ALSO removed glide speedup.
Super mystic sonic said:
- multi-thok gone....now its just a damn speed boost.
God. Let's not even TALK about the multi-thok. The multi-thok was the most overpoweringly ridiculous move ever. It's gone for GOOD DAMN REASON. This is coming from someone who absolutely loved to abuse the multi-thok, too. That was also removed a long time ago. I believe we removed it for 1.08, but it might have been removed as early as 1.01.
You a point here.
Super mystic sonic said:
- some extra stuff gone that could be used to mess around with a bit
Like what? We discourage hacking and cheating, unless it's sanctioned by the game so the game knows you're doing it. God mode is fine because the game recognizes it as a cheat. Hacking to unlock stuff is not fine.
NOobs don't even know how to use console. And you can't cheat to anywhere without using cheat engine or something. I can't find any way to cheat to levels.
Super mystic sonic said:
- support for lots of mods and wads gone.
That's not really true at all. Each incremental version generally gives modders MORE tools at their disposal. For instance, 1.09.3.X has support for custom unlockables. In the "golden age" of SRB2 you seem to miss, where the multithok and multiglide existed, and all of the security was gone, you couldn't even give levels their own title card without using an image editor to draw your title card manually. Level headers, SOCs, and all these other modding features are designed to add support. Pretty much the only mods I can think of that are broken are EXE mods and SASRB2.
I was talking about older mods, like SPmoves, SASRB2, and a few level packs.
Super mystic sonic said:
So the insane popularity of modes such as Capture the Flag and Circuit are just a fluke? SRB2 netplay is more varied and interesting than it ever was in 1.09, and while there are issues with game balance, the game itself has a ton of stuff to do. We add more multiplayer features constantly, so I simply don't see the over-reliance on match.
SRB2 has many cool gametypes, yet I never see anyone play any gamemode other then match. Thats mostly cause you removed some fun options on the gametypes.

Super mystic sonic said:
You could go to levels without losing anything. And sometimes, i've been working very hard to get some stuff. By the way, how can you cheat with -noresetplayers anyway? It only works when you are in multiplayer, or when you modified the game with godmode or something
Yes, I'm well aware of what -noresetplayers does. However, it was never intended to last this long to begin with. -noresetplayers was an old developer leftover cheat, and we've been systematically removing them for years. You aren't supposed to be able to keep emeralds, rings, and other stuff when you warp. That's an intentional lock to keep unintended things from happening. For instance, Mystic Realm is not designed for having all the emeralds from the beginning, and while I'm pretty sure there aren't any issues, the fact is that I have not designed it with that in mind, and there may have been some kind of bug you'd trigger by doing so. You'd complain about the bug, but it wouldn't be our fault, you're using an old leftover cheat that shouldn't exist anymore to begin with.
Super mystic sonic said:
Yes, but Knuckles is way weaker now, especialy since you ALSO removed glide speedup.
The glide speedup is still there, if by that you mean the slow acceleration you get when you glide for a while. If you mean the spin-dash glide trick we had in one beta release, then of course we removed it. It was ridiculous. Shock of all shocks, we try new things all the time. We were trying to make Knuckles better. THAT wasn't the way to do it, though. If we find a simple and effective way to do it, we will, however, adding an abusive trick is not the way we're going to do it.
Super mystic sonic said:
NOobs don't even know how to use console. And you can't cheat to anywhere without using cheat engine or something. I can't find any way to cheat to levels.
Uh, yeah, a lot of newbies do indeed know how to use the console. Anyone who ever played a first person shooter probably knows about the console, and probably could guess a lot of the commands.
Super mystic sonic said:
I was talking about older mods, like SPmoves, SASRB2, and a few level packs.
SPmoves is an EXE mod, and it would be impossible NOT to break compatibility by changing anything, because any change wouldn't be matched in SPMoves. SASRB2 is broken because Blaze is lazy and hasn't released an update. All he needs to do to fix it is change the texture lump listings to accurately reflect what's in 1.09's srb2.srb. Any level pack that doesn't work probably has the same problem as SASRB2. It's not that we're breaking compatibility, it's just that anytime we add textures into srb2.srb, we're going to break compatibility and force people who add textures to update their file. Again, this is unavoidable unless we somehow fix how textures are listed. Simply get the authors to update and move on.
Super mystic sonic said:
SRB2 has many cool gametypes, yet I never see anyone play any gamemode other then match. Thats mostly cause you removed some fun options on the gametypes.
Uh, explain. I've played more games of other gametypes by far. Match is only a gametype I play when we've gotten bored of CTF and Circuit. Removed options? Actually, generally we've been adding more options. The spectator mode in CTF fixes a major joining bug, and the circuit option in Race mode has generated a lot of interest recently. I'd say a rough guess would say a quarter of the games I play recently are match games, and you say you never see any gametype other than match?

What it sounds like to me is that you're complaining that most of the n00bish Coop games disappeared along with the aforementioned -noresetplayers removal, as what everyone was doing was getting all the emeralds, and then -noresetplayers warping back to Jade Coast. That was never intended to happen in the first place. If you want to play Coop, that is what the Hard and Very Hard skill levels were intended for. Heck, if you had any creativity at all, you could make a simple workaround to get all emeralds from the beginning in Mystic Realm in any mode, including Single Player. It's not like I have any real security features.

Super mystic sonic said:
Mystic said:
Super mystic sonic said:
My servers are always race mode, I'm pretty sure it's not match.

I wish there were no "unlockables", so you wouldn't have to change the 19 000 safeguards they put in when you want to develop your own game using the engine.

For single player, 1.08 will always be best, IMO, until they add more levels and **** to single player mode, because it's easily possible to program your own game from 1.08, at least for single player mode.

Lostgame said:
For single player, 1.08 will always be best, IMO, until they add more levels and **** to single player mode, because it's easily possible to program your own game from 1.08, at least for single player mode.
As a person who mods SRB2 on a regular basis, I call bull. Mystic Realm would never have been possible in 1.08, never mind all the extra mod features in 1.09. Many of the features I use are totally non-existant in 1.08, for instance, the emerald-based custom exit, the skill level flags for linedef specials, the emerald pickup objects used in the emerald stages, and the automatic blockmap generator used to make AGZ2 not completely crash out.

1.08 was honestly a primitive and painful version to work in, and there was a reason you didn't see almost any releases from me during the 1.08 era. Not having any updates for 20 months means every single bug in existance was well known, and of course, nothing was done about it to keep things stable. Anyone remember the good ol' homing crash?

I think some people are mistaking the "good ol days" with "as stable as 1.09", because I assure you it wasn't. I can't even give you a tally on the number of times 1.08 crashed and we all knew exactly why.

New for 1.09.3.11:

Ring weapon tweaks
All unlockable requirements now combinable
A_CyberAttack deprecated. Replaced with A_FireShot
Added A_SuperFireShot
var1 for A_TurretFire/A_SuperTurretFire is mobj# for projectile, var2 is distance threshold
Lots of new death messages
Messageboard fixes
FireLaserBeam's spring bug fixed... MAYBE???

New skin options:

multiability = bool
lightdash = bool
homing = bool
ringslinger = bool
slingitem = object#
auraitem = object#

What exactly are the "tweaks" in the weapons?

BTW, your avatar just reminded me to get NiGHTS again, maybe I'll do that...

What do the new things do?
I guess if homing is 1 then every time you start a level EVEN IF IT IS NOT A SPEED THOKKER it will set homing on and if you are near enough you will homing attack the opponent. Correct?
And what do the other new functions do?

SSNTails said:
New for 1.09.3.11:

Ring weapon tweaks
All unlockable requirements now combinable
A_CyberAttack deprecated. Replaced with A_FireShot
Added A_SuperFireShot
var1 for A_TurretFire/A_SuperTurretFire is mobj# for projectile, var2 is distance threshold
Lots of new death messages
Messageboard fixes
FireLaserBeam's spring bug fixed... MAYBE???

New skin options:

multiability = bool Multithok, multiglide, ect. Ooh! Gotta update the ZWing with multifloat
lightdash = bool Waddaya you think?
homing = bool
ringslinger = bool Ringthrowing in 1p
slingitem = object# Automatically produce certain items?
auraitem = object# No idea, sounds cool though
[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back