Suggestions

Why not just have actionspd and actionspd2? for main ability and secondary? Like.. Thok wouldn't use actionspd2 but homing WOULD. Flying would use 1 for flying and 2 for when tired. Etc etc.

Alternate color system change

Sort of like Mugen-ish/Brawl-ish, there could be some kind of palette file on the character that would define the palette order for each color set, something like this. I also think something like this would make grabbing the Star Power (Mario mode) would make the character change the colors in a more colorful way close to the original SMB

Remember we're dealing with a 3-dimensional game, not 2-dimensional, so wouldn't it be too much work to have Tails' tails behind him in every direction?

There's a reason Tails' tails don't move all the time after all, is there not?

I believe someone else came up with this idea... Tails spawning a MOBJ that is his tails on startup, and they capechase to his back. The tails are animated to move when he's standing still, seperate to his 3 frames. When he walks, I guess his tails would turn cyan and his current walking frames would stay the same. However, for jumping, his tails would be on the bottom when he jumps up, slowly come up as he falls down, and for when he spins, flick around when he revs up and shoot out behind him when he breaks into a spindash.

...This is just a thought, of course. :P

Except that you would be fucked in levels like ACZ and ERZ.

Very true... Maybe it could coencide with a nerfed ability? :/

Last edited:
No, I meant that it sets the actionspd of the homing, but it isn't the same speed as the thok. So the thok is something else as it uses a dfferent formula to the actual actionspd.

Allow for custom characters to be able to have saves.

The save file for them should only show up if they are loaded. Like with mods.

Speaking of custom characters, why not allow us to modify their states without screwing up for other characters? I mean, couldn't you, like, check for an S_SKIN in a WAD file that has a SOC for modifying the character, and then set it so the changes in the SOC file don't overlap the default settings, but are set as separate? :/

In fact, if you do that, I think you could probably crap my abilityframes idea if you add different states for the other abilities (like, states for slowfalling, floating, both when not spinning, etc, solely for editing purposes.)

A new charability: spinout
Like a quick stop ability, spinout stops the character exactly where they are in the air, and then they go into their falling sprites, and fall down until they contact a platform.

A new charability: spinout
Like a quick stop ability, spinout stops the character exactly where they are in the air, and then they go into their falling sprites, and fall down until they contact a platform.

You mean kind of like Sonic in Sonic Adventure? How he could just stop in mid air?

but he doesn't spin when he thoks, correct? :P

Anyway, this REALLY NEEDS to be implimented: spawned items and/or trails for more than spinning and thoking.

This really doesn't have any downsides, IMO, except maybe a slight bit of lag, but even so. Anyway, the breakdown:

glideitem- spawns an item when you glide. Same settings as spintrail, except the default would be whatever the blank object is. That, or 0, meaning no spawn (in fact that could be a value for spinitem and thokitem as well).
flyitem- spawns an item when you're flying; setting same as glideitem.
floatitem- spawns an item when you float; setting same as glideitem.
fallitem- spawns an item for slowfalling; setting same as glideitem.
jumpitem- spawns an item when you jump; setting same as glideitem.
jumpitem2- spawns an item when you jump the second time. That, or if you just press the jump button again. This would work only for double jump and no ability. Settings same as glideitem.
standitem- spawns an item on startup and whenever you stand. Would work for superform standing. Probably would work for when bored as well. Setting same as glideitem.
walkitem- spawns an item when you walk (not run). Would work for Superform walking. Setting same as glideitem.
runitem- spawns an item when you run (not walk). Works for superform running. Setting same as glideitem.
hurtitem- spawns an item if hurt. They probably would work for Superform hurt, considering if supers ever make it to a pandora's box option, they're used again. Settings same as glideitem.
belowplayer- maybe not important, but any item spawned, weather thokitem, spinitem, glideitem, etc. is below the player. By default it's zero. Now, what's interesting about this is that its value acts like SOC flags.
2: thokitem affected.
4: spinitem affected.
8: glideitem.
16: flyitem.
32: floatitem.
64: fallitem.
128: jumpitem.
256: standitem.
512: walkitem.
1024: runitem.
2048: hurtitem. (if this is too much (prolly is), just go with hurt as being the only frame with an item under it :P)
Obviously combining these values would have the item spawn under whatever values are combined. Default would be 2048, considering most hurt frames are them on their back, which is what's used in sliding :P
behindplayer- same settings as belowplayer, except that the object is, obviously, behind the player. :P

Benefits: Everything. No, seriously. With these additions, much, much more diversity can be done to characters. Here's what I mean:

Graphics. Okay, Metal Sonic has a jet on his back, and there's no way to add flames to his back without it looking retarded. JTE made a code where he had his jetpack but that only worked in SRB2JTE. Now, with these settings, Metal can have his jet fire! Not only is this for Metal Sonic, though, but plenty of other characters could benefit from this. It could make cool graphical effects with trailing while thoking, gliding, flying etc, especially if the ability has high actionspeeds. Other characters that use jets would also benefit from this.

Abilities. Let's face it. The abilities given are restricted to what's given, spinning (Morph made a character that floats when spinning IIRC) and thoking. That's honestly not enough. Now, with these settings, invisible items with SOCs that affect the player can be spawned when doing other abilities, such as floating, slowfalling, etc. That would make the range of abilities possibly endless!

So yeah, a lot to add, but trust me, implementing this would be very rewarding to many character WAD makers.

EDIT: I took out the idea of trails. After some thinking I agree it would be a little stupid, but spawning items for more than just spinning and thoking really needs to happen (but by default nothing's spawned, so as not to mess up the main 3 characters)

Last edited:
And more complicated too. I only agree with the spintrail, but the rest of this "book of trails types" isn't necessary.

Last edited:
How come I can imagine someone spamming the trails thing to give them the appearance of looking both cool and "fast."
Because anyone can abuse anything? Anyway, I guess the trailing thing doesn't NEED to happen, but spawning items should, so more original abilities could happen. Depending on thok for spawning an item really sucks :<

And more complicated too. I only agree with the spintrail, but the rest of this "book of trails types" isn't necessary.
Okay, as I said to Eliwood, take out all the trails, but keep the items. Again, SOC'd abilities shouldn't only rely on thok :<

Because anyone can abuse anything? Anyway, I guess the trailing thing doesn't NEED to happen, but spawning items should, so more original abilities could happen. Depending on thok for spawning an item really sucks :<

Okay, as I said to Eliwood, take out all the trails, but keep the items. Again, SOC'd abilities shouldn't only rely on thok :<

Honestly, I would like to see that put into effect once you grab the speed shoes like in XSrb2. It looks epic.

It don't looks so bad, the object spawned when Sonic thok is a type of boost, and it looks like a boost on the air.Trails aren't needed and doesn't make any ability "more original", but then I agree with you, the abilities are toooo restricted.

EDIT: I was thinking about these trails, it looks nice on the snow, make an special sector effect that creates a snow, and when the player walk on the snow, he leaves a trail.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back