Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a bit of news regarding Tortured Planet v9.0: I have just added a substantial new gimmick in the middle of LGZ2, which replaces the simple, boring teleport from the giant rocket to the second 2D section. Personally, I think it may be one of the best gimmicks in Tortured Planet, second only to the UFO puzzle in AAZ1.

Last edited:
Here's a bit of news regarding Tortured Planet v9.0: I have just added a substantial new gimmick in the middle of LGZ2, which replaces the simple, boring teleport from the giant rocket to the second 2D section. Personally, I think it may be one of the best gimmicks in Tortured Planet, second only to the UFO puzzle in AAZ1.

Whoopdeedoo. Have you trashed Spacewalk or most of your awful 2D sections yet (complete with utterly incomprehensible zoom tubes)? Or fixed the abysmal checkpoint placement in DDZ (and to a lesser extent, GCZ)? Or differentiated the colors of the SNZ clouds and the ground? Or got rid of all the pointless "scenery" that chugs the game (particularly online), like the beginning of SAZ2? Have you increased the amount of tokens available? Have you modified the stage layout so it no longer needs arbitrary invisible walls that senslessly block interaction with more "scenery"? Have you gotten rid of the falling rocks, which are a terrible and random obstacle? Have you quelled your annoying habit of placing platforms in hazard pits, only for them to be too tall to jump back up on in the case of a misstep and thusly force the player to scramble all the way back to the beginning of the section to hop on the only reachable platform of the bunch?

Have you trashed Spacewalk or most of your awful 2D sections yet (complete with utterly incomprehensible zoom tubes)?
No, but I've changed some stuff about them.

Or fixed the abysmal checkpoint placement in DDZ (and to a lesser extent, GCZ)?
Got any suggestions for restructuring the star posts? That's actually something that's been stumping me for a while.

Or differentiated the colors of the SNZ clouds and the ground?
Yes.

Or got rid of all the pointless "scenery" that chugs the game (particularly online), like the beginning of SAZ2?
That one might have to wait a while. I like that scenery and want to keep at least some of it, but I do understand why you would disagree. Eventually, I might be able to think up a new placement that satisfies everyone.

Have you increased the amount of tokens available?
Why would I do that? It's SUPPOSED to be brutally hard to gather the emeralds in Tortured Planet.

Have you modified the stage layout so it no longer needs arbitrary invisible walls that senslessly block interaction with more "scenery"?
If you mean the two or three levels with low thok barriers, no. But in the case of GCZ1, I did change the appearance of the Thok Barrier so that this blockage makes more aesthetic sense.

Have you gotten rid of the falling rocks, which are a terrible and random obstacle?
I can cut back on those a bit more if you want.

Have you quelled your annoying habit of placing platforms in hazard pits, only for them to be too tall to jump back up on in the case of a misstep and thusly force the player to scramble all the way back to the beginning of the section to hop on the only reachable platform of the bunch?
I assume you mean things like the lake in SAZ2. If you take a look at the big picture, I actually attempted a fair amount to make stuff like that more forgiving. Indeed, some of the revisions I made that increased the difficulty of these platforming obstacles were suggested to me by others on the message board.

While I'm at it, I'll also tell you guys that I made a significant revision to an area in AAZ1. I used a GFZ2-style technique to combat the linearity of a particular section.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see all these revisions!

I really wanna make the song for Gritty Columns Zone so bad, but DANG it's gonna be hard to beat the music it has there! The old version of Arid Canyons Music is my favorite of all srb2 tracks, and I'm going to have lots of trouble even coming close...

I don't get what's the problem with falling rocks= they're sepuse to be annoying so they'll actually be called an obstacle. And I don't get that habit thing you mentioned corneliab, though in most games if you miss something it forces you to do it from the beginning, its called difficulty, or "prevention from doing thokfestion", in other words.
As a matter of (unintresting to you, probably) fact, I almost never thokfest. If a creator detailed the stage enough for me to look at it, why just wind trough it (even though people COMPLAIN about how stages miss decorations, while thokfesting.). If I'll just wind trough it, why not just make hallways full of nothing except a few enemies and springs?
Well, that last paragraph wasn't on topic... My bad... Again...
Don't eat me.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see all these revisions!

I really wanna make the song for Gritty Columns Zone so bad, but DANG it's gonna be hard to beat the music it has there! The old version of Arid Canyons Music is my favorite of all srb2 tracks, and I'm going to have lots of trouble even coming close...
Don't think of it that way. You're an excellent composer, and as long as you do at least as well as you did for your previous tracks, I shouldn't be disappointed.

I have already voiced the hope that you will be able to work a little faster with the completion of your OLDC entry, but please don't feel like I'm rushing you. If you need more time, by all means take it. Indeed, the longer it takes, the more time I spend polishing up the levels themselves--but I certainly hope that that doesn't motivate the wrong behavior ;)

Last edited:
Star Showdown is my next one coming. It's about 20 percent done already, I can't fit it in my signature, so I figured I'd just say that. Yes, you heard it right, Star Showdown, the epic battle which... I haven't even played yet. XD Just trust me, the music is gonna be crazy.

You can easily cheat your way to Star Showdown by typing GOD and then MAP MAP28 in the console, just so that you have an idea of what the level is like. But I bet what you're doing is still applicable, and I can't wait to hear it!

*Pushes Fawfulfan out of the way* ORRRRR you can host a server and call me to join and we'll go trough the whole adventure!
Also Fawfulfan, are we to expect:
Special Stages (And maybe a new mechanism finding the tokens (I thought of a miniboss hidden in the zone that holds the token, but since neither you and I can soc...))

Also Fawfulfan, are we to expect:
Special Stages (And maybe a new mechanism finding the tokens (I thought of a miniboss hidden in the zone that holds the token, but since neither you and I can soc...))
I most certainly can SOC, as the Blecch Bouncer attests. I'm just not that experienced.

And no, I have no plans to make Special Stages. Gathering the Chaos Emeralds in Tortured Planet just isn't important enough to merit that kind of embellishment in any case.

Is Drowned Downtown Act 1 incomplete? It has a strange section with a red spring and a way back out...

I've been too busy with other stuff to beat Spacewalk yet. Actually I'm kinda lazy cause I always make it a big task to go through the level and collect the emblems and not miss one special thing. It kinda takes the fun out of it, I need to stop doing that and just play! :D I would definitely want to go through it with you Imarawrbadly>.<. lol that name is funny to write out. Are you on netgames much? What do you go by there?

I can't play versus netgames anymore though, cause my right mouse button, the one I use to shoot rings, is broken, so I have to push really hard to make it work. *goes and looks wistfully at the MS* Ah until I get a new mouse. THEN I'll show them! XD

Last edited:
I most certainly can SOC, as the Blecch Bouncer attests. I'm just not that experienced.

And no, I have no plans to make Special Stages. Gathering the Chaos Emeralds in Tortured Planet just isn't important enough to merit that kind of embellishment in any case.
I agree with you to a point, yes it may not be important enough to make 7 new special stages, I feel with a big mod like this it should have SOMETHING different as far as emerald collecting, other than fewer tokens. I like the idea of a Mini Boss, maybe once you get better with socing, (or if someone else wants to make them...) you could have a hidden mini-boss in each first act, and once the player defeats it they GET an emerald, not a token. Just a thought on how to make this mod even more unique.

Meh, Emerald collecting isn't very fun anyway. If anything, it should be something new, like the Miniboss Idea. If you can't Soc it yourself, I bet someone out there is willing too. And the Idea of just getting the emerald alone is much better for online play since you don't have to worry about people screwing up your special stage completion.

Anyways, I think you should change some of the level backgrounds.
SAZ:
attachment.php

By the looks of it, that's a Sonic advance background. The water is much too high up (lowering it greatly and leaving more room for the sky would help.) which sort of ruins the perspective of it, and the background doesn't repeat too well (there's a sharp cutoff where it should repeat).
DDZ:
attachment.php

The Background here just plainly enough, doesn't fit with the game itself. It looks like a badly JPEG'd image and is a real eyesore which clashes with the level design. Why not use Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone background? Something that looks more "sprited" and clean.
SNZ:
attachment.php

I dunno, something about this one just puts me off. Instead of Sonic 3's background, you should use a background that makes it seem like your very high in the air, but also in a cold icy area at the same time (It would really bring out the level more). You should probably use a foggy/cloudish background with SRB2's built in snowfall for effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back