Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem getting the tokens. I remember them all by heart. My problem's simply:
Special Stage 7+ Sonic= UGH
I finished the middle part about an hour ago just to fall on the platforms outside with 85/100 rings... x.X

Double post fail, I found a lot of stuff in LGZ1 that's pretty much small, but they're worth fixing. I'll try using imagehack to upload some screenshots later to show what they are if it is requested...
Also, I've got a little suggestion/request for Chary. Can AAZ3 sound kind of like this? Just, you know... SRB2'd. Because:
1. It has this "bio" theme in the song that fits the slime in the boss stage
2. It has this "majestic castle" theme thing that also fits the zone
3. It sounds like a final battle, which fits AAZ3 (being the pre-final boss)

Also Fawfulfan, its nothing major, but can you put a stage between AAZ3 to SSZ (kind of like how Mystic Realm has PAZ2/3 that's only entering a big castle) because I never really understood how did Sonic get from a castle on a distant planet to what looks like a giant tower that reaches space from the planet... It'd be nice if it'll show how Sonic gets to the SSZ.

News update: I added in a new optional path in one of the outdoor sections of GCZ1, in an attempt to decrease that particular section's linearity. It's a blatant detour, but I think it's fun, and those who take it will be rewarded with an extra life.

Last edited:
Oh, speaking of which, I found a big HOM in Spacewalk 2... It's on the side of a rock on the ceiling of one of the tunnels.
30m8yuh.png

That darker section is where it is supposed to be a side texture.

Don't worry...I've already fixed literally every missing texture in every level (except the Archives, naturally). I used the Find Map Errors function to ensure I didn't miss anything.

And by the way, I see that the LGZ1 music is coming along.

Double post fail, I found a lot of stuff in LGZ1 that's pretty much small, but they're worth fixing. I'll try using imagehack to upload some screenshots later to show what they are if it is requested...
So I understand its not needed?

Also Fawfulfan, its nothing major, but can you put a stage between AAZ3 to SSZ (kind of like how Mystic Realm has PAZ2/3 that's only entering a big castle) because I never really understood how did Sonic get from a castle on a distant planet to what looks like a giant tower that reaches space from the planet... It'd be nice if it'll show how Sonic gets to the SSZ.
Can you make this? Please? o-o

I don't think I can do that. But I'll try reworking the final cutscene to make sense of the transition.

EDIT: Just played around with SAZ1. There are a fair amount of small tweaks to it now.

Last edited:
Yep, LGZ1 is coming along well. I just got back from hanging out at a friends house for the past 2 days, so I wasn't able to work on it then, but I'm picking it back up now.

I am pleased to announce that SWZ2 is getting significant changes. Not big enough to completely fix the level by any means, but I'm still paying more attention to it than I have in a very long time.

Something I should mention in Snowcap Nimbus Zone 2...
srb20015.png

Is this normal? *If you look closely to the right, you'll notice that the texture looks odd.* (Right near the beginning.)

srb20016.png

Also... if you happen to stand RIGHT on the edge where that glitch was *In this case, where I'm standing in the image*, you die instantly. (Again, right near the beginning.)

Even though I'm pissed for saying that I found some stuff that should be fixed twice, but you never asked, I'll just post this. Its a bunch, and I'll be really glad to know how to make a spoiler tab not to make people scroll trough this. I'll try...
srb20677.png

Why is there this triangle shape thingy? It looks wierd.

srb20827.png

Why are they all cornered instead of decorating the field, ahead, the place where the player actually looks at?

srb20839.png

You guys call these, "hall of mirrors", IIRC? Its in the beginning of GCZ2.

srb20954.png

Won't it be a better idea to hide the spring behind the boxes? Just putting a life monitor out there without a real challange looks, yet again, wierd.

srb20956.png

See the ring over there? You can't reach it even with a full jump (With Sonic). As a ring collector, I must say this is rather annoying. Seeing a ring I can't reach...

srb20958.png

One of the pits full of slime in this room aren't escapeable. Even the springs don't make you jump too high. I suggest testing and fixing this.

srb20962.png

I know you can't fix the fact the carts are invisble, but this is MORE than invisble. The texture moves! Is this even fixable...?

srb20974.png

Try seperating those guys more so they won't "fuse" when the player heads towards them.

srb20983.png

Rings are too far from the springs that launch on you the beginning of LGZ1 to be collected...

srb20987.png

(Ignore the suckish emblem count kthxbai) This is what happens when you jump on a tube that's sepuse to inhale you. Shouldn't it only "suck" (SHHH) when your going in the hole, not atop it?

srb20998.png

This made me cry. Not only you put a Sharp facing wrong so it can take suprise attacks, you put enemy barriers to block it from moving more than a few inches! Have you got no soul?!

srb21006.png

Walking to the edge of this elevator (the white lines) causes it to go on extreme speed. Making wierd flashes and if your in a server, someone who'se on the edge of the elevator can't even dodge being killed.

srb21010.png

Same texture for walls/floor/ceiling looks wierd. Try replacing the right and left ones with something... COOL. You know, entering a rocket kind of cool.

srb21039.png

This monitor likes being one with the wall. Move it a bit (and its twin behind where I'm taking this screenshot.)

srb21070.png

Errr...... Okay?

srb21105.png

"A deafed ring is a happy ring" does not exist here.

srb21121.png

Okay, se we can clearly see Brak Eggman shooting, but the thing is that he doesn't hit me. I can move after this for an odd reason. And Brak Eggman doesn't miss-aim. Is this because I'm standing on the edge of the platform?
Gentlemen. I am done.

Last edited:
Even though I'm pissed for saying that I found some stuff that should be fixed twice, but you never asked, I'll just post this.
Uh, I'm not sure what you're complaining about, but thanks for all that stuff! I already fixed about half of them, and now practically all those are fixed, except for the strange Pointy in LGZ2 and the thing in Star Showdown Zone. I'm not sure how to fix those.

What about SWZ's textures? There's a bunch of places where the ceiling/floor/walls are the same texture, especially in the "bigger" metal chuncks left from what used to be a rocket/spaceship.

That's certainly something to consider. Texture variation is a massive part of the new version.
Oh no, I can see where this is leading. Lemme say the following:

Texture consistency is more important than texture variety.

A large problem of the visuals of your pack is that you threw that rule out the window. Most of your levels use way too many main textures in total, and there are lots of rooms that simply have too many textures. Don't try to make your levels look more appealing by plastering a different texture on every wall. Ideally, most rooms should have only a small amount of main textures (in most cases, not above three) and those should look good together. The level itself shouldn't have too much variation between areas either, unless the theme requires it.

It's a hard thing to do, but your texture arsenal should a. be medium-sized b. be visually consistent enough to be considered part of the same theme c. have enough variation in itself to prevent the level from becoming too boring visually. Don't make your level gray all over like the old SWZ, but don't put different colors all over the place like the new SNZ.

No, no, no, no, no, you're just jumping to conclusions here, SC. There are very, very few instances of new textures being added to the set of any of the levels. What I'm doing is rearranging the existing textures in a way that is more pleasing. I don't consider any of it gratuitous; much of it is simply combating the practice of identical walls, floor, and ceiling in some of the hallways.

Furthermore, there are actually a few places where I slightly increased consistency for various purposes. In SAZ, for instance, there are sections where I replace the rocky wall with a grassy texture, to match the floor flat (specifically, I do this to the really shallow ridges in the ground). I feel that this makes some places feel slightly less cluttered, and creates more of a natural contour in the ground.

SNZ probably took the brunt of the texture modification, but I haven't added any new patterns into it (except to reintroduce the standard XMAS snow to differentiate the snowdrifts from the clouds). I just took what was already there and used it in a different way. Admittedly, there may be some issues with the outside textures; I'll let future feedback decide that. But I am quite pleased with the inside.

There's a difference between the way I changed the textures in SNZ before and the way I'm doing it now. The first time, I just did a mechanical find-and-replace operation to remove all the XMAS textures, without devoting a great deal of my energies to what that would look like. Here, on the other hand, I did most of my texture changes in 3D Mode, so I was manually selecting what I wanted everything to look like. Again, I don't know if it will be to your taste yet, and I'm willing to reconsider certain elements of it if you object, but I personally like the new setup.

Last edited:
Speaking of textures, Fawfulfan did you do anything about DDZ's textures? The Dark City Zone textures look absolutely HORRID mixed in with the rest like they are. Actually, the Dark City Zone textures look horrid on their OWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back