SRB2Wii thread (v2.0.0 RC4, news update 27/11/2010 10:46)

Mr. president, a question. okay i'm messin' with yah, but seriously. when i loaded up srb2wii, the screen looks green and pink and other random colors, but it's like a different color pallete. it's possible cuz i used srb2 (pc version) v 2.0 with srb2 wii v1.5. plus, i don't know the menu controls (other than select and back). can't select a different option or character. i don' t mean to critisize, but plz fix it. also, after i get an extra life, the controls mess up. =(

Check the first post, there is a new FAQ there.

SRB2Wii v1.5.0 beta 2 has been released for testing (30/11/2009 14:23):
- The IOS version now properly reboots to the Homebrew Channel. To circumvent the v4.2 update, the Homebrew Channel v1.0.6 had its title ID changed from HAXX to JODI. HAXX was hardcoded into the Linux kernel, so it had to be patched at compile time to load into JODI instead of HAXX.
- Fixed the Linux kernel killing the tarball conversion process. The process is much faster as well.
- Fixes to the SRB2Wii build system, rewrite will take place soon. (behind the scenes change)

TODO list for the final release of SRB2Wii:
--SRB2WII itself--
- Finish the rest of the SRB2Wii launcher functionality.
- Finish network support, and test what I can (Wi-Fi).
- Rewrite more portions of SRB2Wii (specifically the not rewritten portions of the launcher).
- Finish the SDL video driver (Alam).
- Modify the settings for ncurses to be more eye-catching.
--SRB2WII build system--
- Rewrite the SRB2Wii build system, so no more warnings and easier to modify.
- Make the build system create symbolic links to the libraries stored on FAT automatically so the name of the project can be changed easily and everything will be affected.
- Make the build system modify all the $NAME/$STAGE2 variables in all the files so the name of the project can be changed easily and everything will be affected.

Man, I've read everything, and got all my files in the right places, all the plr's, srb2.srb, and the other data files in the correct directory, but I just can't get srb2Wii to run.

It always tries to mount something in a /dev directory (I'll try to be more specific later) and says it isnt found or doesnt exist, then takes me back to the Wii menu. Has anyone else been getting this problem?

Last edited:
Man, I've read everything, and got all my files in the right places, all the plr's, srb2.srb, and the other data files in the correct directory, but I just can't get srb2Wii to run.

It always tries to mount something in a /dev directory (I'll try to be more specific later) and says it isnt found or doesnt exist, then takes me back to the Wii menu. Has anyone else been getting this problem?

Upgrade to the latest beta. That bug has been fixed.

You could always try to have SRB2Wii load a modified PLAYPAL lump in it's own WAD to fix the colors. I'd think that'd be a little easier on the Wii than having to do the color conversion in realtime.

Upgrade to the latest beta. That bug has been fixed.

I tried that just now, the funny part is that instead of taking me back to the wii menu, it takes me back to the homebrew channel.
But it still does the same thing and won't run.

There's a strange problem I encounter while extracting the first compressed folder (I think it's the first, it could be the second, but never mind). It tells me that the folder already contains several of the files I'm trying to add, but the only folder there was the one that was created when I began the extraction process. How can that be possible?

Also, there are a TON of errors in the compressed source code file folder.

Last edited:
You could always try to have SRB2Wii load a modified PLAYPAL lump in it's own WAD to fix the colors. I'd think that'd be a little easier on the Wii than having to do the color conversion in realtime.

Actually, we've decided that was probably the best solution not too long ago, and Alam is looking into making SRB2 convert PLAYPAL and all the other palettes into the YUV colour space on startup.

I tried that just now, the funny part is that instead of taking me back to the wii menu, it takes me back to the homebrew channel.
But it still does the same thing and won't run.

Did you delete SRB2Wii off of the SD card before you replaced it?

There's a strange problem I encounter while extracting the first compressed folder (I think it's the first, it could be the second, but never mind). It tells me that the folder already contains several of the files I'm trying to add, but the only folder there was the one that was created when I began the extraction process. How can that be possible?

What program are you using to extract the tarball? I recommend you use 7-Zip.

Also, there are a TON of errors in the compressed source code file folder.

Thats because the SRB2Wii filesystems are uncompressed in the source tarball, and any filesystem that doesn't support Unix symbolic links such as FAT32 and below (and NTFS for Windows XP and below) will have errors extracting it.

Last edited:
Did you delete SRB2Wii off of the SD card before you replaced it?

I just tried that and it's still doing the same thing, weird. I wonder if anyone else has been having this problem, because I've been trying to get srb2wii to run since September and I've been having the same problem since, but I kept quiet.

So far all I've been doing is downloading the IOS version of srb2wii, extracting it onto my root (manually placing the folders in apps from the package into my already made app folder because I already have apps for the hbc), putting all the necessary files into x:/apps/srb2wii/data, and attempting to run it off of the hbc. Am I forgetting anything?

Also, I have a classic controller so I'll see if it works when I get it running. ^_^

Last edited:
I just tried that and it's still doing the same thing, weird. I wonder if anyone else has been having this problem, because I've been trying to get srb2wii to run since September and I've been having the same problem since, but I kept quiet.

So far all I've been doing is downloading the IOS version of srb2wii, extracting it onto my root (manually placing the folders in apps from the package into my already made app folder because I already have apps for the hbc), putting all the necessary files into x:/apps/srb2wii/data, and attempting to run it off of the hbc. Am I forgetting anything?

Also, I have a classic controller so I'll see if it works when I get it running. ^_^
I don't mean to brag, but it only took me three tries to get srb2wii to work (not counting the bugs Callum is working on). Maybe you can post some pictures of your folders containing the files, and maybe we can help you there.

I don't mean to brag, but it only took me three tries to get srb2wii to work (not counting the bugs Callum is working on). Maybe you can post some pictures of your folders containing the files, and maybe we can help you there.

I don't mean to brag, but it only took me one try to get srb2wii to work.

If I had a capturing device I'd show you the exact screen it gives me when I try running srb2wii, but I dont. :<

Lol. On your keyboard, above your arrow keys and the Insert key, there's one called prt scr|sysrq. Press that key where you want to take a screenshot, then head over to MSPaint and paste it there.

To host it online, try a free image hoster, like www.imageshack.us

I tried taking a few pictures with a phone but they came out horribly, and all the letters on the screen came out looking too bright, even on the lowest setting for my television.

I just realized there's not one flat screen LCD TV in my house. :/

Actually, we've decided that was probably the best solution not too long ago, and Alam is looking into making SRB2 convert PLAYPAL and all the other palettes into the YUV colour space on startup.

Screw that, that failed. Actually, we've finally finished the SDL video driver! It just doesn't want to compile for me though, I will get that fixed ASAP though.

I tried taking a few pictures with a phone but they came out horribly, and all the letters on the screen came out looking too bright, even on the lowest setting for my television.

I just realized there's not one flat screen LCD TV in my house. :/
For your information, a screen capture of the folder with the data files on the pc in x:/apps/srb2wii/data is what I had in mind. I was wondering what files you could have possibly missed. If nothing you tried (or will try) works, then you have start-over. At least you get to keep your homebrew apps.

Update 22/12/2009:

Hi, guys! Sorry for not keeping you guys up to date. I've decided to take a break from SRB2Wii development for a little while, to sort out other things (things like my home computer network, my now very messy bedroom and actually hanging out with my family for the holidays). I will not be working on SRB2Wii for the next few days to spend time with my family over Christmas. Once I do start working on it again though, a release will be imminent, I'm sure, because I left SRB2Wii in a pretty stable and complete state...

Have a very happy Christmas and New Year, everyone. =)

SRB2Wii v1.5.0 has been released! (1/1/2010 10:10) Here are the changes:
- SRB2Wii's colours have been fixed. It is now a genuine SRB2 experience again. =)
- Massive speed boost from unlocking the Wii's secondary RAM, large levels like ERZ2 even load and play.
- Partially redesigned innards, the boot process is now completely different to the previous versions although this does not affect functionality at all. Updated to the latest versions of SDL and SDL_mixer for this release, the next stable release will have EVERYTHING updated to the latest usable versions.
- Updated the kernel to MIKEp5, based on Linux kernel 2.6.32. This new release brings mainline kernel support for the Wii's wireless chipset, and preliminary support for the Wii's DVD drive (support for both in SRB2Wii is currently unimplemented though, although they will be at a later date, and will be SRB2Wii/mini only.)
- Many other undocumented but otherwise influential and important updates, fixes and additions.

Sorry about the huge wait for the latest release, I've been working on this and around other things as much as I can to deliver the best SRB2Wii experience. Although this one isn't perfect (the launcher is still incomplete, some functionality is still missing and SRB2 isn't the smoothest to play yet) but I really hope you'll enjoy this release. =) Hopefully this will be a pretty good New Years present for you all. Just make sure to delete the old SRB2Wii version off your SD card if you already have one on there, and move your SRB2 data files to /srb2wii on your SD card.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back