SRB2Wii thread (v2.0.0 RC4, news update 27/11/2010 10:46)

Okay, just quickly: yes, the colours are still wrong, yes, network doesn't work yet (that is being worked on) and yes, there is no GameCube controller support yet.
I think I heard that he had to sacrifice colors in order to get the controllers to work. The last video that showed SRB2Wii gameplay was only the game's intro, and in full color.

So, not to criticize or anything, i just wanna know, how hard is it to convert this stuff to YUV? If it's not too hard, I might want to try to make srb2 IWADs (srb2.srb, sonic.plr, etc) use YUV if possible. If it's not the wads but the binary, good luck unless I can find a way to recompile it with YUV

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

So, not to criticize or anything, i just wanna know, how hard is it to convert this stuff to YUV? If it's not too hard, I might want to try to make srb2 IWADs (srb2.srb, sonic.plr, etc) use YUV if possible. If it's not the wads but the binary, good luck unless I can find a way to recompile it with YUV :)
-Best wishes,
Eric The Hax, who needs to find a way to change the display name to match new preferred name.

Either the SDL video driver I'm using has to be converted to YUV, or SRB2 (in the code, not the WADs) has to be converted to YUV. We're opting for the former since that benefits the Wii homebrew community by providing an updated SDL video driver that supports the Wii's colours.

Just the main WAD files SRB2 needs to run, srb2.srb, all the .dtas, all the .plrs, etc.

Not helping. I want to know exactly which ones I need. Everyone's just chucking a "general" thing at me, which is just confusing me further.

Wow. Seriously? Just copy everything from your SRB2 folder to your SD card, and that's it. If you care about your SD card's filesize, then don't copy any .wad files. How much simpler could it get?

Not helping. I want to know exactly which ones I need. Everyone's just chucking a "general" thing at me, which is just confusing me further.

Okay, I am getting fed up with people here not being able to think for themselves.

The files you need are:

srb2.srb
sonic.plr
tails.plr
knux.plr
soar.dta
drill.dta
music.dta
rings.wpn

Happy? >_>

Okay, I am getting fed up with people here not being able to think for themselves.

The files you need are:

srb2.srb
sonic.plr
tails.plr
knux.plr
soar.dta
drill.dta
music.dta
rings.wpn

Happy? >_>

You would have never had to be fed up if you just put all the files into one zip file. I mean, it's common sense. Not all people know how to use the Homebrew Channel. And it isn't clearly said what files are needed until now. Hell, we could need the updater or the lvlconv. You have to think ahead man. I've already got a 7z file with all the necessary files (including some others like VBAGX) and I'm starting to upload it now.

You would have never had to be fed up if you just put all the files into one zip file. I mean, it's common sense. Not all people know how to use the Homebrew Channel. And it isn't clearly said what files are needed until now.

I've already got a 7z file with all the necessary files (including some others like VBAGX) and I'm starting to upload it now.

Thanks for taking the job of repeatedly and unnecessarily (and probably incorrectly, this thing is carefully built by a shell script) uploading 100MB worth of outdated SRB2Wii off my hands. I really appreciate it. Oh, care to do the SRB2Wii/mini version as well? Thats now 200MB you'll have to reupload each time I update SRB2Wii.

Also, there's a reason I use bzip2 compressed tarballs to compress SRB2Wii, its the best compression there is. I do state that 7-Zip is the best program for extracting it and I include a link in the first post to download it if the person does not have a program that can extract tarballs.

People should KNOW what is required, I specifically say "SRB2 data files" which means everything BUT srb2win.exe, the source code, socedit, lvlconv and all the help stuff. That much should be obvious to the user, but I've obviously overestimated this community's intelligence, which has brought me to this, spoon-feeding instructions you guys shouldn't need.

Hell, we could need the updater or the lvlconv. You have to think ahead man.

Why in the hell would you possibly need lvlconv on SRB2Wii? I can compile that for Linux easily, by the way, so I can get that working under SRB2Wii without any issues whatsoever, with functionality equivalent to the Windows version but I REALLY don't see the need.

The SRB2 updater is coded in C# with Windows-specific functions, so that only runs on Windows. Even if it could run under Mono, I don't think anyone would appreciate me making SRB2Wii larger by 10-20MB just to gain the ability to update with that. I can just as easily code my own little updater shell script for updating SRB2 and the SRB2Wii Linux distro, and yes, thats on the TODO list for a later release.

Now, Violo, as much as I appreciate your concern for SRB2Wii, please be assured that I am doing everything as best as I can. The stuff that I've had to spoon-feed instructions for here should be painfully obvious, I'm just unhappy that its not to the people here. These are things that they SHOULD be finding out themselves, they don't need everyone telling them EXACTLY what to do and EXACTLY how to do it if its already staring at them in the face.

The stuff that I've had to spoon-feed instructions for here should be painfully obvious, I'm just unhappy that its not to the people here. These are things that they SHOULD be finding out themselves, they don't need everyone telling them EXACTLY what to do and EXACTLY how to do it if its already staring at them in the face.

Sorry, but some people here don't know too much about the data files and all. When you meant data files, i thought you meant gamedata.dat. Anyway, apart from that, I managed to get it working.

One question: Why isn't it possible to do anything else but play the main game as Sonic? I wanted to go into options to change my controls, but every press of DOWN was ignored, and every press of UP was turned into a press of ENTER.
Although i managed to play the game properly until GFZ2. Some random glitch happened when I got hit by a crawla. (I'm not used to Analog. -.-) My Nunckuk randomly recalibrated to always move forward/left, and would not calibrate back, so it forced me to run into the water and die.

EDIT: I also noticed that the water was GREENWALL. (Not REDWALL. :P)

One question: Why isn't it possible to do anything else but play the main game as Sonic? I wanted to go into options to change my controls, but every press of DOWN was ignored, and every press of UP was turned into a press of ENTER.
I've experienced this, though I couldn't care less since I'm a Sonic player myself. The last I heard from Callum was Alam was working on getting menu navigation to work properly. The last I heard from Alam was him trying to get network play to function.

In a nutshell, I'm not even sure what is going on.

You can play as Tails or Knuckles. You just have to save your game in your PC, and then paste the saved game file on your SD Card. And if you ever experience a spike lag, let go of the analog stick. In my opinion, it will help prevent moving up+left.

Also, WiiDoom is already out. Is the SRB2 code different than WiiDoom that you can't just copy their menu code?

WiiDoom is a native port. SRB2Wii is a highly customised Linux distribution. There's nothing I can change between them.

Remember that USB keyboards can be used too if you guys are way to impatient for the Wii controls to be updated for use with the menu.

I did ever thing right but when i go to sd card to copy bootmii it freezers on me. Can someone help me?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back