Yes, the SRB2 Master Server is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should their be a topic about the different MS's so people know where to go or is their one already that I missed?

I strongly disagree with this descision. We can't just shut down stuff because it's infested with people we don't like. We can't just let the people that cause trouble on the MS ruin it for everyone. There are going to be problems, and we'll just have to do the best we can to moderate it. It's unrealistic to beleive that we'll ever rid the MS of RP and Cybering games, just as it's unrealistic to believe that we'll ever rid this forum of stupidity. Hell, if we're going to shut the MS down, why don't we just kill the forums while we're at it? Less work for us and we don't have to deal with the idiots, until they come to #srb2fun and I eventually end up shutting it down for the same reason.

You can't give in to idiots. You have to keep fighting.

Exactly, FuriousFox, exactly. Additionally, I honestly think that the issue of idiots should be up to the server hosts more than those in charge of the Master Server. After all, they're the ones who have to deal with them. Idiots can be kicked, or, if the host has no problem, they can stay. The Master Server should be a place to have fun with SRB2, not be an intellectually stimulating experience. If the real lunatics are kicked off, what's the problem with having a n00b or two?

Hi guys, i'm back, just wanted to say he-

:()

...What just happened?

I come back after a break and THIS happens? The life source of SRB2 has been taken down? I see no point in this, as the noob:not-noob ratio is about 1:2.

You're displeasing more people than pleasing yourselves, and what happened to "The customer is always right!"

We are your "customers" to this game, and now that the core of the game's fun and entertainment has been demolished to smithereens...

I foresee F-bombs and raging flames.

And also, look at the number of developers + admins + mods posting and saying that this is the wrong decision. Just the fact that people in such high positions on the hierarchy of SRB2 have clearly said NO means that this move of yours will not end well.

I'll come back when the MS is back up, because i'm not the patient type to switch MSes.

See you on World of Warcraft...>_<

A customer is someone who buys something, you pay us nothing and expect so much in return.

The noob:non-noob ratio on the MS is 1:2? First I've heard, maybe you haven't actually been paying attention to the MS.

No, the 1:2 ratio sounds about right to me. I frequented the Master Server up until you tore it down, and, while there were more n00bs than ideal, there were plenty of intelligent people to be found.

You don't understand; we USE your PRODUCT. We don't HAVE to PAY. If the PRODUCT is severely uncared for, then the customers become unruly. Unruly customers result in loss of popularity.

TL;DR

People are getting annoyed.

Extra TL;DR

OMG.

The fact of the matter is that Cue is tired of running his master server. He enforces rules, people still disobey them unconditionally, and he's sick of it. So he's basically handing the job to people of the community.

I don't think you understand, henny23. We don't get paid for this at all. We provide a game as-is to you, and you can play it for free. We also ran a master server to make setting up netgames easier for about 2-3 years. We provide all of this to you, free, for your enjoyment. This is not a "product", and you are not our "customers". You didn't pay anything for SRB2, and we aren't charging anything for SRB2. Hence, we don't "owe" you anything. We make this game because it's enjoyable for us to do so, and honestly I really don't care if we occasionally annoy some of our fanbase through our decisions. If we didn't make decisions that annoyed our fanbase we'd have an inferior game at the end of the day.

If you enjoy playing SRB2, keep enjoying playing. However, if you'd like to play online, I suggest finding a group of people that would like to play and connecting via IP, or using one of the alternative master servers by using the instructions in this topic: http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=17392

If you'd like to quit over something so trivial, you can go ahead. We're not going to stop you. However, stop calling yourself a customer, because you're not. This is a hobby, not a business.

henny23, please tell me that you didn't download SRB2 from a site that made you pay for it. If that's the case, you were swindled. SRB2 is FREEWARE, dammit.

I didn't want to make drama out of this, come on.

This was all hypothetical. Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, is there? And no, i did not download this where i had to pay >_<

But, the fact still stands, there will be a large group of noobs in the corner yelling nothing but "OMGWUT MS IS DOWN" and "HAO DO I HOST A SURVUR????".

Mystic said:
If you'd like to quit over something so trivial, you can go ahead. We're not going to stop you.

I'd say that shutting down the Master Server just because "people ruined it by roleplaying and hanging out" is a trivial matter. I've never understood why you people insist on implementing all these rules for making servers more "enjoyable", when the majority of you don't even play the game anyway! Obviously people create roleplay and hangout servers because they enjoy it.
Sure, a lot of people act as if this was a crisis (when it's not), but some of you who enforce the rules act as if the nooby servers out there were completely dismantling the entire netplay aspect of the game.
Now in order for people to play they have to be part of the community, instead of simply joining a game of their choice. I'd say we're only favoring a very small portion of the people who play SRB2 with this choice.

henny23 said:
But, the fact still stands, there will be a large group of noobs in the corner yelling nothing but "OMGWUT MS IS DOWN" and "HAO DO I HOST A SURVUR????".
This is fine. It's already occurring, and we're directing them to the topic explaining how to change the MS data and the topic explaining how to connect by IP. The master server has broken in the past and I don't see how this is any different from a technical standpoint.

Honestly, having all the noobs come onto the forums asking questions about how the master server and IP connect actually work is probably a good thing in the long-term, despite having some annoyances right now.

Ice said:
I'd say that shutting down the Master Server just because "people ruined it by roleplaying and hanging out" is a trivial matter. I've never understood why you people insist on implementing all these rules for making servers more "enjoyable", when the majority of you don't even play the game anyway! Obviously people create roleplay and hangout servers because they enjoy it.
Sure, a lot of people act as if this was a crisis (when it's not), but some of you who enforce the rules act as if the nooby servers out there were completely dismantling the entire game.
Now in order for people to play they have to be part of the community, instead of simply joining a game of their choice. I'd say we're only favoring a very small portion of the people who play SRB2 with this choice.
Well, you're forgetting a potential benefit of what we just did. By shutting down the master server we're encouraging people to set up their own, and people are. This means that we can have people set up their own master server for the explicit purpose of role playing and hangout, and they can have their fun completely legitimately without bothering anyone. That is the main goal of shutting the main master server down.

The master server as it was was not really helping anyone. It was generating excessive drama about reporting with rules that really could not be set to make the entire user base happy no matter what we set the rules to. By splitting the master server we're opening up the field for people to actually set up servers for specific groups to do what they want. The main difference is that we don't have to spend our resources to moderate and maintain it.

Ice makes a very good point, and I'd like to know what Cue/Spazzo/Mystic's response to it is. After all, roleplaying servers and the like are done because people are trying to have FUN, and they are bored with playing SRB2 in the conventional sense. How is that bad? I honestly don't care about stupidity, as long as there's a lot of servers to choose from. And before you try to say that a bunch of stupid servers clog the MS, bear in mind that there haven't been an awful lot of servers on the MS in the time directly before it was shut down, stupid or otherwise. (I am speaking of servers that actually make it through to the MSLauncher, not servers as a whole.) Do you really think that would change overnight if you allow RPing?

Besides that, the fact remains that not being allowed on the Master Server because you're too stupid or too n00bish is actually a bit insulting. n00b or not, we all connected to the MS to have a good time. As long as there's no clans, profanity, racism, or sexually explicit conversations, why should you judge the kind of fun we're having?

Additionally, even if n00bs are a huge problem, killing the Master Server is NOT going to help. In fact, it will make it worse. With the Master Server, it was easy for people outside of the SRB2 community to find a server and join in. These people (and many of them are n00bs) never had any reason to join the SRB2MB, and thus we managed to keep the board reasonably intelligent. But now, people will have to go straight onto the board and advertise their netgames (It doesn't matter if it's against the rules; stupid people will do it anyway). In other words, we're just luring the n00bs into the community now.

What's more, I do not believe that this is "a good thing in the-long term", because unless SRB2 falls out of fashion (entirely possible, but if that's the case, all bets are off), there will ALWAYS be brand new fans who sign up just to organize netgames and don't stop to consider the rules.

Above all this, however, the fact remains that those administrators responsible for the decision don't actually PLAY netgames. Who are they to decide that WE are playing it the wrong way? Trends can start from the bottom just as easily as they can from the top. If RPing is the new thing, stupid as it is, why can't we just deal with it?

And, Mystic, you say that the Master Server is frustrating to hold up because of all the rules that need to be enforced constantly? How about just relaxing the rules a bit? That might take some of the stress off the job.

Now, I'm sure there are some valid responses to at least some of the arguments I have posted. I'm eager to hear them.

fawfulfan said:
Ice makes a very good point, and I'd like to know what Cue/Spazzo/Mystic's response to it is. After all, roleplaying servers and the like are done because people are trying to have FUN, and they are bored with playing SRB2 in the conventional sense. How is that bad? I honestly don't care about stupidity, as long as there's a lot of servers to choose from. And before you try to say that a bunch of stupid servers clog the MS, bear in mind that there haven't been an awful lot of servers on the MS in the time directly before it was shut down, stupid or otherwise. (I am speaking of servers that actually make it through to the MSLauncher, not servers as a whole.) Do you really think that would change overnight if you allow RPing?
Role playing was banned from the master server because of the exceptionally low quality of the servers along with the fact that they were cluttering up the master server listing to the point of uselessness. I've done long arguments on why we disallow role playing on the master server multiple times in the past, I'm not doing it again here.

fawfulfan said:
Besides that, the fact remains that not being allowed on the Master Server because you're too stupid or too n00bish is actually a bit insulting. n00b or not, we all connected to the MS to have a good time. As long as there's no clans, profanity, racism, or sexually explicit conversations, why should you judge the kind of fun we're having?
The issue is that in order to make sure there's no clans, profanity, racism, or sexually explicit conversations, we have to moderate the same amount as we do now. Loosening the rules wouldn't make it easier to maintain at all, and we'd end up with the same situation, just with a hundred role playing servers of dubious quality cluttering up the listings.

fawfulfan said:
Additionally, even if n00bs are a huge problem, killing the Master Server is NOT going to help. In fact, it will make it worse. With the Master Server, it was easy for people outside of the SRB2 community to find a server and join in. These people (and many of them are n00bs) never had any reason to join the SRB2MB, and thus we managed to keep the board reasonably intelligent. But now, people will have to go straight onto the board and advertise their netgames (It doesn't matter if it's against the rules; stupid people will do it anyway). In other words, we're just luring the n00bs into the community now.
I consider the result you just stated to be a good thing. We already have the n00bs in the community. If they post on the forums they're likely to see the stickied topics explaining how to get into a netgame as well as see the rules and regulations involved. Maintaining the forums is a lot easier than maintaining the master server.

fawfulfan said:
What's more, I do not believe that this is "a good thing in the-long term", because unless SRB2 falls out of fashion (entirely possible, but if that's the case, all bets are off), there will ALWAYS be brand new fans who sign up just to organize netgames and don't stop to consider the rules.
That doesn't change no matter what we do. I'm not going to base policy on morons breaking forum rules, that's normal.

fawfulfan said:
Above all this, however, the fact remains that those administrators responsible for the decision don't actually PLAY netgames. Who are they to decide that WE are playing it the wrong way? Trends can start from the bottom just as easily as they can from the top. If RPing is the new thing, stupid as it is, why can't we just deal with it?
I used to play on the master server quite a lot. Then it got to the point where I couldn't find a single relevant game to play because the entirety of the MS was a bunch of hangout coop garbage. The master server became pretty useless for finding a good game about a year ago, and the discussion about shutting it down has been going for quite a while since.

Personally, I'm not sure if shutting down the master server is a good long-term plan. However, I do want to see what kind of solutions the community can come up with to the issues we've had with it. As it was, the master server was a useless waste of time that took us an obscene amount of effort to maintain. Let's see whether opening up to the community to make their own server listings will produce some positive results, and if not, let's see what can be done to make the server listing actually useful to a majority of players.

Well, here's my 2 cents on how to fix the issue.

The MS rules are a bit outdated. We came up with them back in 1.08 when there weren't a whole lot of servers around. Therefore, it was alot easier to police them and keep the list cleaned.

Now that we're in 1.09.4, the game has grown. A lot. Policing has gotten much harder, and I think that, like some other people have said in here, we should let the servers mostly police themselves. Back in 1.08, you didn't really have many servers you could go to. You pretty much got what you got. Nowdays you have many alternatives. If you find a server you don't like, you can leave and find another one.

I suggest that we implement a new gametype into SRB2: Other (O). The Other gametype would basically be the gametype for hang-outs and RP, or whatever other "invented gametypes" people may have. Then, I suggest we allow players to filter their searches based on gametype (Any, Match, Co-op, Race, CTF, Tag, Other). This way, there is no more list clutter when trying to find a game for what you want, and you also don't have to deal with connecting to 20 different master servers (Which seems stupid considering the whole point of the master server is to give a centralized listing of all currently running netgames).

Obviously we'll probably still have to deal with people naming their netgames stuff like "FUCK SHIT YOU STUPID NIGGER CUNT" and "GO WATCH MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!", but that seems easy enough to moderate, if we even bother to.

Seems like a pretty win-win situation to me. A little extra coding is involved, but I can't imagine it being too hard to implement.

The "Other" gametype is actually a good idea. A forge mode where you create your own game type by setting rules. Like in the settings for it, there is force characters, throw rings, chasecam, CTF enable and even gravity. Then before a game you could place a certain amount of objects in the map before a limit expires, time and amount of things, then ou can play the game.

I see... I see...
Actually, the outcome for that looks very good. Maybe that should be the case.

I would wonder how that could play out, though. What about idiots that might use other just so they can have a fancy chatroom? Also, if they really have no specific gametype, how will we determine any rules they break? (I mean aside from the obvious: no flaming/trolling, Keep it PG-13, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back