Yes, the SRB2 Master Server is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point will be that in Other, anything goes, with the exception of flaming and trolling.

FuriousFox said:
Wall on rules

Actually, they were updated only a few months back, with the help of Mystic, Dark and Torgo.

A 'Roleplay' gametype or even an 'Other' has been discussed before, Mystic was severely against the idea, so I can't see that happening to be honest, end of debate there.

I've made a decision on the next step, you'll have to wait and see.

Penopat said:
We could ask on the generousness of, say, Oogaland to add an easy way to manage a small list of MSes on his MS launcher.
If we had a centralized list like I mentioned on my past reply, this would be easy to manage even for those who aren't so bright or are too scared to use command lines. We already expected to have n00blies magicially feel obligated go and read the obscurely placed rules to the MS anyways, so I'm assuming expecting them to go to the forums to look at a list isn't much harder. If anything, this will make the newbies more understanding of the concept of "Master Server" and how one has obligations to meet to if you use another's service.
That could be done quite easily. This is fine for folks who use the forums, but -- and I think this is the point that's been missed here -- we are not the target demographic. The vast majority of SRB2's users are drive-by downloaders, and it's these people we should cater for firstly. Unless it works out of the box, they won't bother with it.

Think about all the freeware games you've downloaded over the years. How many of them (in recent history) did you have to trawl through config files or download separate utilities to use to their full potential?

If we package a launcher (not necessarily mine) with SRB2ME and there's a master-master-server that keeps track of all the master servers running at any one time, then it could just about work, and MS admins can enforce as many or as few rules as they please. But the steps for netplay should be: 1. click obvious option; 2. play.

EDIT: Although I still think having a 1.08-era system is the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back