Why does everyone hate Sonic Lost World?

Other than being a “Mario galaxy clone” I got nothin, I’ve never tried it and have seen a few videos about it and don’t really see the hate.

Pizza tower also has one lol and it’s still good

Honestly what the heck happened to everyone after the adventure games?! Tails was great in adventure 1 and 2 but after that, stuff went downhill, like tails in this game acted like a brat, heck how is tails scared of chaos 0 in forces when he has fought a more powerful version of him in adventure?!
The run button was also tied to a mini super peelout, and I feel like tails is just having a rough time. His plane crashes, sonic never listens to him, etc., so that's understandable. But yeah forces sucks

I liked Sonic Lost World even if the game was a "Super Mario Galaxy rip-off" because it featured Sonic running on surfaces similar to the planets in the aforementioned game. Not only that, this wouldn't be the first Sonic game to have planet-like gravity for a specific location, as it was done with both Mad Space and Planet Quest from Sonic Adventure 2.

My only problem with the Wii U/PC versions of Sonic Lost World is that you have to collect all 20 Red Star Rings within a Zone to get a Chaos Emerald, whereas in the 3DS version, you need at least 50 Rings before you reach the goal. (On that basis, the 3DS version of Sonic Lost World should've given the option for players to use the Circle Pad to move Sonic around instead of the motion controls).

By the way, don't attack me for this, but I genuinely like Sonic Forces.

The run button was also tied to a mini super peelout, and I feel like tails is just having a rough time. His plane crashes, sonic never listens to him, etc., so that's understandable. But yeah forces sucks
The thing is, it's not in character for Miles to get pissed because Sonic wanted to work with Eggman. Number 1, Sonic has worked with Eggman more than once before and back then, tails didn't have a problem with it. Number 2, Tails has literally watched his friend get shot out in a pod and explode in space and still remained steadfast against Eggman. So this guy shouldn't be soiling his diapers because of an insecurity.

Just to clarify, I understand if some people don't like it. I hate sonic heroes and like sonic superstars, while everyone seems to say the reverse, so I can see someone liking or disliking something controversial. Except you should put cereal before milk unless you're getting a second bowl. That is non-negotiable.

By the way, don't attack me for this, but I genuinely like Sonic Forces.
Sonic Forces was a underrated game. It wasn't buggy for me in the slightest, and the Sanic DLC was a super new touch! Sure, the Shadow DLC was a little undermade, but it's still there!

Just to clarify, I understand if some people don't like it. I hate sonic heroes and like sonic superstars, while everyone seems to say the reverse, so I can see someone liking or disliking something controversial. Except you should put cereal before milk unless you're getting a second bowl. That is non-negotiable.
I don't think it's that heroes sucks, more so it's annoying to complete. The constant changing of leaders is in this one game, and it's hard to get used to. Not to mention, it makes some sections long as hell. It's a good game, just misunderstood. And Superstars isn't a bad game either. Realistically, it's amazing for what it is! It's just that the storyline is all over the place. We'd be better off without one.

Sonic Forces was a underrated game. It wasn't buggy for me in the slightest, and the Sanic DLC was a super new touch! Sure, the Shadow DLC was a little undermade, but it's still there!

I don't think it's that heroes sucks, more so it's annoying to complete. The constant changing of leaders is in this one game, and it's hard to get used to. Not to mention, it makes some sections long as hell. It's a good game, just misunderstood. And Superstars isn't a bad game either. Realistically, it's amazing for what it is! It's just that the storyline is all over the place. We'd be better off without one.
The thing with Sonic Forces is that we waited for 4 years for another mainline Sonic game just to get something that did nothing new, was short as hell, felt bad to play, had tons of automation, had a bad story and retconned Classic Sonic. On top of that, it also had mountains of hype on it's shoulders for being such a mediocre game and on top of THAT, a way better game came along side it yeilding for fans to compare the 2.

The thing with Sonic Forces is that we waited for 4 years for another mainline Sonic game just to get something that did nothing new, was short as hell, felt bad to play, had tons of automation, had a bad story and retconned Classic Sonic. On top of that, it also had mountains of hype on it's shoulders for being such a mediocre game and on top of THAT, a way better game came along side it yeilding for fans to compare the 2.
Dude, chill out like all he said was said Forces was underrated game, it's not that serious lol

Dude, chill out like all he said was said Forces was underrated game, it's not that serious lol
I didn't mean anything bad when writing that. I just wanted to talk about why the game was "underrated."

SLW is more of a meh to me, i don't really care much about it but it's fine
also i don't understand the SLW hate (i only don't like the run button)

I like Lost World but I also do see it as flawed. Generally, I've always felt like it gets more hate than it deserves, but it's far from perfect either. The movement controls are generally fine although take some getting used to, and on occasion the parkour physics do bug out, though not as often as some would have you believe and many examples of people blaming their deaths on this that I've seen are just them scape goating away from the fact that they have a skill issue.

I've always felt like the run button should be a walk button instead and should be a different button than parkour. The jumping physics also aren't very intuitive and lead to a lot of people failing to understand them entirely. There's kind of a weird thing with them where in 2D sections (I don't remember if this also applies to 3D or not) you get more horizontal distance midair when you're not holding the run button, something that never gets explained to you and which flies in the face of the player's intuition telling them to hold down the go fast button to gain distance.

Lost World is actually a boost game, it's just hybridized with the Adventure formula and with a few additional moves. Boost was merged with Spindash, Stomp was merged with bounce, Homing Attack was given a lock on that functions as a way to deal additional damage on a single target or as an amounts to the lightspeed attack on multiple targets, kick was added as a homing attack alternative for certain use cases, and of course there's the new parkour and the inclusion of the run button.

Generally speaking, this moveset is actually kind of genius. The weakest link here is the run button not being a walk button, followed closely by the Spindash and Boost being merged into one ability. Frontiers would later go on to handle the two abilities being in the same moveset to much greater effect, but in Lost World it basically just amounts to a slower Boost without a meter that you have to charge up for a moment, and outright just becomes boost when in your Super form. I'm not a fan of the multi-lock on for single targets as it's slow, but being able to lock on to multiple targets for dealing with them in a single button press is a really good idea, and having cases in which you need to kick instead adds a new layer of engagement that makes the process of dealing with enemies less brain dead without resorting to health bars that slow things down unnecessarily.

I'd prefer to have stomp and bounce both function as their own standalone moves on the same button. Hold the button down to bounce, tap to stomp. This would retain the function of using it to reduce your midair height quickly while also affording for use cases in which you want to make use of bounces for mobility purposes, and if allowed to be chained more like in SA2 could even be very useful for platforming. Unfortunately Lost World falls short of this and ends up generally having a move that's worse than both the SA2 bounce and the usual Boost formula stomp. However, it's not totally useless at least.

The Parkour is a really great idea and could make for some great gameplay flow if applied properly. The usage in Lost World is generally fine albeit sometimes buggy and a bit tricky to use, but it falls short of its potential and I've love to see the idea revisited in a future title.

Overall, I actually really like what they were going for here with this moveset and I'd love to see it get innovated on in a future title. There's a lot of potential for this moveset to be great, and feels like a good compromise for satisfying both Adventure fans and Boost fans. They just need to work out some of the kinks and make it feel more responsive and intuitive.

The primary failure of Lost World in my eyes is the level design. I've got nothing against the Mario Galaxy approach, but I feel like rather than trying to go all in with this style it should have been relegated to a much smaller collection of levels, such as bonus stages. Most of the main stages should have had stages more similar to say, City Escape and Seaside Hill from Generations as opposed to the tubes, circles, and spheres that infest Lost World's design mentality. When giving Sonic a moveset that combines his two most popular playstyles, it only makes sense that they should have focused on level design that likewise brings these two playstyles together, and that's not quite what we got with Lost World.

Finally, there's the matter of the story. I'm going to condense this into a spoiler tab to shrink this post down a bit, as this is going to get pretty long.

This I think might be the most unfairly criticized thing about the game, not in regards to the criticism itself but in regards to how harsh the criticism is. The main points that often get repeated are this:
  • Sonic and Tails feeling out of character.
  • The Deadly Six being too shallow and one note.
  • The animations being too stiff in cutscenes.
  • The humor falling flat.
In the order I listed, here's how I feel about each of these points:

Sonic and Tails feeling out of character is a legit criticism, but aside from a few scenes it's really not all that big of a deal. In all honesty the characterization of these characters has never been consistent within the series in general, a problem that still has yet to be fully resolved.

The Deadly Six are in fact shallow and one note, I'm not going to try to make the case that they're somehow actually really deep. They're not. However, I also don't feel like they need to be. Yes, it is better storytelling to have more deep and complex characters that are able to develop over time, but that doesn't mean there's no place for one note characters in fiction. Every character doesn't need to be complex, sometimes a character just exists to fill a role in the story they are part of and need not be complex or develop over time. The usage of the Deadly Six in this game is much more akin to cartoon bad guys popular in shows during the 90's and early 2000's and them not being deep and complex is generally pretty harmless. Overall, I feel like people are taking something that's a minor nitpick at best and blowing it up into way more than it really is.

The animations generally get the job done, but yeah they are pretty stiff. I'd probably chalk it up to SEGA not allocating as much time and budget into the Sonic series at this time, they considered it to be fairly low priority compared to other projects. SEGA shafting the budget of their most iconic IP certainly isn't the first questionable business decision they've ever made, but it is nice that now that we are in a post-Frontiers world SEGA has decided to bump that budget back up. Either way, the cutscene animations aren't completely terrible in Lost World, they're just not as good as they could have been and it shows. They get the job done well enough for me to regard this as just another nitpick getting blown up into something it's not.

The humor does generally fall into the same cringe as was in Colors, though tends to actually be kind of worse. I'd argue that in Lost World the humor isn't as much the main focus however. It feels like what they were going for was a blend between drama and comedy, and sometimes this does actually work really well such as when it starts to look like Tails, Amy, and Knuckles are in danger and Sonic might not rescue them in time. Unfortunately though, while the drama does sometimes land the humor generally doesn't and even the drama is often either overdone or just falls flat. This all kind of ties into the Deadly Six being one note, I do see where people are coming from as they probably see the same potential with the story to have been something great that I do and as such find many generally harmless individual elements to be more unforgivable for contributing to the story not being the grand epic they want it to be. However, once again while I do think the story falls short of its potential I don't think that it not meeting that potential is necessarily such a bad thing and the whole thing ends up generally being rather harmless. Rather than the story and humor being outright bad, it's mostly just a bit corny and plays second fiddle to the gameplay itself, which isn't the worst thing in the world by a long shot.

Overall, I find the game to be fairly mid. It's not the best game in the series, but it's not exactly a bad game either, just nothing super amazing. It's just "good". It's an experience I feel like people should play if they get the chance, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a must play.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back