Why can't we roleplay on SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galefox said:
I don't see how 'retarded nooblet' rests your case. Why does it matter? They're just noobs. Everyone ignores them. Why does it matter that they exist? They exist everywhere! You can't possibly, with any logical sense of mind imply the only way to resolve this is for retarded nooblets to stop existing, which it sounds like you're implying. If you really believe that then you must have a problem with every online game in existence because there's no way to do that.

Because men don't role play. //The average user on these forum seems like a serious loser in real life, no offense.

Why does THAT matter? I'm not talking about IRL, I'm talking about HERE. Where the rules for what's cool and what isn't are backwards anyway. And FYI, alot of people roleplay. Everyone I know does some kind of it and I find it highly unlikely you'll find someone on the internet with the same mind and if the forums are so 'uncool' than why are you on them?

Everyone you know? Judging from that, I would say 12% of the people on Srb2 roleplay. And not everyone roleplays. I just had to disagree with you there. You made no sense what so ever; not everyone roleplays. People that roleplay are sometimes serious when playing the game correctly. We just can't judge people that roleplay and breaks rules and call them Noobs. You wouldn't even know the person and they could roleplay or hangout for being new. And you would join the netgame and say, "Your not playing the game right; you're a noob!" It makes no sense what so ever.

SuperSonicStar*, I think it appropriate to remind you that the word "n00b" actually means "newbie". It's a derogatory term for someone who is inexperienced and callow. It doesn't matter if the reason they're acting n00bish is that they're new--that's the actual DEFINITION of a n00b!

Galefox said:
I don't see how 'retarded nooblet' rests your case. Why does it matter? They're just noobs. Everyone ignores them. Why does it matter that they exist? They exist everywhere! You can't possibly, with any logical sense of mind imply the only way to resolve this is for retarded nooblets to stop existing, which it sounds like you're implying. If you really believe that then you must have a problem with every online game in existence because there's no way to do that.

You clearly are misunderstanding my posts. I'm saying that the people who do these things are idiots, and it's just best to ignore them. It's not helping the problem because they ( the people hosting RP's offline) aren't breaking the rules, and therefore, they're not part of the problem itself. That being said, some idiot will think they can be cool and report them for not breaking the rules, and, what happens? Nothing! It's just a useless report.

As for your claiming that my suggestion was to rid the world of noobs, well, you're sorely mistaken. I can't even see how you interpreted the post like that, to be honest. Noobs are everywhere, and they're going to stay there for as long as the internet exists. The best we can do is set up rules to keep them at bay, and ban the offenders.

fawfulfan said:
SuperSonicStar*, I think it appropriate to remind you that the word "n00b" actually means "newbie". It's a derogatory term for someone who is inexperienced and callow. It doesn't matter if the reason they're acting n00bish is that they're new--that's the actual DEFINITION of a n00b!

I've seen people who roleplay on the master server and have been in the MS community for a good long while, but they're still referred to as noobs.
So clearly, that isn't the definition of a noob. Frankly, there is no solid definition of a "noob", because people can shift it around to whatever derogatory term they want. This is why I'm really quite tired of the word being used, because it's so vague; if we're going to use the term so loosely as we do, it might as well have the definition "people I don't like".

That last is the definition for everything ranging from n00b to elitist to Nazi. Frankly, it's better that people stopped using those altogether. While there is an actual definition for "n00b", no one uses it that way anymore at all.

Some longtime members do like roleplaying. But it's also pretty much established that there is no feasible way to have any sort of real roleplaying on SRB2. Add that to the fact that a ton of the people on the MS are ridiculously young and don't know how to really roleplay, it's a real issue with games of nonexistant quality plaguing the MS.

Blue Warrior said:
fawfulfan said:

I've seen people who roleplay on the master server and have been in the MS community for a good long while, but they're still referred to as noobs.
So clearly, that isn't the definition of a noob. Frankly, there is no solid definition of a "noob", because people can shift it around to whatever derogatory term they want. This is why I'm really quite tired of the word being used, because it's so vague; if we're going to use the term so loosely as we do, it might as well have the definition "people I don't like".

I'm with Blue there, the word 'noob' is being used too much all the time. I think we should actually think of something else to call people that don't play the game right because using noob towards people seems a bit of flamish to me.
@Fawfulawn: I don't think you understood what I said there.

Yes I know alot of people who roleplay. Not just on SRB2. I know people who roleplay across the internet, that's why I said "Everyone I know roleplays" because everyone I know really does. XD

No, I wouldn't have caught that. And the word 'noob' means person who doesn't play the game well but the term is taken out of proportion now. The word 'newb' means newbie or new person. What people consider 'noobs' now is not someone who can't play the game but someone who doesn't play it the commonly accepted way. For example: If someone plays an MMO to cook and fish but everyone expects them to PK other players they're a noob. And that's messed up! If someone asks you retarded questions about the game and they've been playing for longer than a newb, they're a noo. And that's mostly true.

There is a word in existence for what annoying people are that roleplay like idiots and play the game like idiots. Idiots. XD

SuperSonicStar* said:
Everyone you know? Judging from that, I would say 12% of the people on Srb2 roleplay.

I'm a little late here, but from what I've seen, 25% is much more accurate. I've seen plenty of roleplay on the MS here, and definitely much more hangout.

I'm curious how long the popularity of roleplay will last now that there's no restrictions on it for srb2.servegame.org. To be honest, I'm thinking it might just be a phase, and maybe -- just maybe -- people will grow tired of it on their own eventually since they've actually gotten to do it. It's a stretch, but it's worth wondering.

People get tired of thngs at their own pace though I do believe RP will always be around on any game that allows or can be used for it. The issue might not be as swollen as before though.

Honestly I'm glad everyone can. RP is a pretty good way to learn social habbits, I think. It also lets people view things from other perspectives in a sense. Maybe it'll come to be more accepted when people learn to do it right?

Nope, it sure as hell won't. And honestly, roleplaying dosen't seem to fit the habit of saying, "You'll be banned over it". Just for that I can't see the problem, but I see part of it. SRB2 was meant to be played right because it took so long to make and the SRB2 community spent a lot of time on it, too. But banning because of that brings nothing but more and more bans. People that roleplay won't go away, we have to realize that problem. And if it does go away, it will for surely start up again.

Galefox said:
And the word 'noob' means person who doesn't play the game well but the term is taken out of proportion now. The word 'newb' means newbie or new person. What people consider 'noobs' now is not someone who can't play the game but someone who doesn't play it the commonly accepted way.
That's not entirely correct.

Newbie, or newb, is a term for a new person. Everyone starts out as a newbie because it's impossible not to be new to the game at some point. This is perfectly fine and acceptable. Newbies tend to be ignorant to how the game and community works, but given time, and assuming they're interested in learning how it works, newbies can be a great asset to the community.

N00bies, or n00b/noob, is a term for an annoyance. The key difference here is that while a newbie is interested in trying to fit into the community, a n00b wants the community to fit him. These are the type of people that join the forums and say, demand a link to SPMoves, and then whine when we don't give it to them. These are the type of people that join the community and then whine when we actually have rules on the forums or master server and complain when we ban them for typing a post with absolutely every word misspelled. These are the scourge of the internet and should be removed from the community immediately.

A lot of people seem to get confused here, and the reason why most people call the role players n00bs is because if you joined some of the previous role playing games, before they were banned from the MS, you would see 10 year olds whining about how people would join their games and attempt to actually play the game instead of talking about how they were about to shoot you. It was exceedingly disruptive to the community at the time and because of the exceptionally low quality of the role playing, was generally mocked by the entire community.

We'll see how it works out this time, but I suspect we'll see the old routine of people joining these games just to troll the role players constantly, like what happened before we told them to get off the master server the first time.

There, I can see the advantage of banning it from the master server. I can also understand the issue from both parties. It's annoying when you're trying to make an epic RP when someone touches the goal line and interupts the whole thing. On the other hand, that person might just be trying to be a good player and asset to the group and maybe, because (and I will admit) because the game wasn't meant to attract RPers, they might not know exactly what the other players are doing.

That said, I do understand why RP was banned from the MS in the first place and I probably don't know what I'm talking about here since I haven't been here that long but with everything everyone's said I do think that even though RP is allowed on the MS now if you don't want interuptions it might be best to host a private game. Or at least put in the name that it's an RP and hope no 'vigilantes' try to disturb it.

As for the 'noob' thing... I agree... I've seen it happen before. A sad thing, I think, but the term really is used out of proportion. Like when you've got people playing an MMO and trying to fight eachother all the time, then they see someone who's playing the game for other things like learning to fly or cooking recipes. So those players call them a noob because they think they aren't competitive enough. I've seen alot of that, too... Well,not HERE, but in other places. ^_^;

"but with everything everyone's said I do think that even though RP is allowed on the MS now"

Why are you talking about Blue's MS as if it's the official MS? I don't care if the old adress now redirects to Blue's, the official MS adress is now ms.srb2.org:28900, Cues MS. If people are too lazy or don't think they have to change the MS adress that's their problem, it doesn't mean the official MS is Blue's because the old adress redirects to there, RP isn't allowed on the MS.

oh. hmmm... Well, still, I guess it really depends on your perspective of things. I have the answer I was looking for though so that's enough for me. ^_^;

But, I would say even if it was allowed I'd be best to host a private game to keep trolls away so this helped me in more ways than one~ =D

Remember, roleplaying isn't allowed at all with people that take things too seriously. I bothers me at times such as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back