Why can't we roleplay on SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galefox

Nomad of the sky
I dunno if this has been asked before but I'm just curious. And 32 pages is alot to look through. ^_^;

Anyway, I don't mind someone taking it down but I'm just curious. I mean, I get that teams make grounds for gang fights but roleplaying? That one I don't understand.

It's because the Master Server is for PLAYING THE GAME. If you won't play the game, then you shouldn't be on there in the first place.

Galefox said:
I get that teams make grounds for gang fights

LOL, gang fights. You made me laugh. I don't actually know why clans aren't allowed, but I don't really care.

Pretty much what Eblo said, and RPing on SRB2 sucks anyway. If you want to RP, make a private server.

Rping dosen't suck, Jellybones, if in the hands of a master. Anyway, Logan_A has to pay for the Master Server for us to actually play in. It cost a bit of money, and if we just roleplayed, then what would be the use of paying for the Bandwith, while we just trash it? It's intended for fun, and should be kept that way. It'd be kind of useless for Logan to pay for it while we just do are own rules.

The owners of the master server and a large part of the forum and chatroom community deem roleplaying to be far more suited for games actually intended for it, and in response to a sharp incline of RP and chat servers hosted, rules were created for the master server banning any MS-advertised server that doesn't use the gametype for its original basic intent. I wouldn't say these rules have been entirely successful in increasing the prosperity of the master server, considering many people still ignore the rule and many servers regardless use shovelware wads most of the time, but that's another story by itself.

Well I guess I understand. I mean, playing the game is fun and I enjoy it alot. I was mostely asking because you can change your colors and make characters so I kinda thought it was odd RPing wasn't allowed.

And by the way. Some of those posts sounded hostile. You can say the same thing without taking a tone with me. I'm just asking because of character customization.

Well, don't mind Eblo. He just stuck his foot in his mouth, is all.

But yeah, the reason that roleplaying servers aren't allowed to be advertised on the Master Server is because they got so far out of hand/became baby-ish and stupid. I wish you could have seen some of the chat logs that were taken. They would have made you physically cringe in front of your computer.

On a personal note, roleplaying is for MMOs and IRC chatrooms amongst friends, not random people who come to race or play through levels.

Clans are banned because we end up with servers that are clan recruitment servers (not playing the game) and clan training where they ban anyone who isn't in their clan.

RP is banned because, if you've seen what they're like around here, the RP is usually of poor quality and we get flooded with them so much that people wanting to find a proper game can't actually find one.

@SSS*: It's more than just the MS hosted on here, we have a Gmod server, CSS server, L4D, TF2, SRB2 and I've been meddling with a ut2004 server. =P. The MS doesn't actually use masses of bandwidth, to be honest, even if it did we have 1.5tb to play with so hey.

What it seems to me is that the things that are getting banned on the master server are those that potentially lead to bad results, not the idea itself being bad. I often see abuse of respawnitemtime and low-quality wads, but match and character wads aren't banned because... well, SRB2 is made for them.

I'm curious, Cue, if there is a way the rules can be restructured to where the master server disallows clan/RP/console abuse, as opposed to just regular use. I've actually written an article of my thoughts about how to improve the master server, though I suppose that's a bit off-topic.

Galefox said:
Well I guess I understand. I mean, playing the game is fun and I enjoy it alot. I was mostely asking because you can change your colors and make characters so I kinda thought it was odd RPing wasn't allowed.

Customizing your name, character, color, etc. isn't really in the game for people to say "Hey, look at my character" as much as it is to distinguish between players and differentiate the gameplay. It can easily be used to the advantage of roleplaying, however, so I see where the assumption is being made.

And by the way. Some of those posts sounded hostile. You can say the same thing without taking a tone with me. I'm just asking because of character customization.

I understand. I actually feel that the tension created from the RPing issues and such has created a good deal of prejudice in the community, and I don't like seeing certain ideas shunned the way they are, which is often what it seems to me happens when it comes to the words "hangout" or "RP", both of which may as well be the next Voldemort. Eblo's post is a good example of what I mean.

I personally don't actually see what's wrong with roleplaying. Isn't the bottom line just that you're using your imagination to make the game more interesting? And do you guys mean to say that there are so many fans of SRB2 desperate to roleplay that allowing it would significantly steepen the bandwidth? I think allowing roleplaying would cause a tiny increase in bandwidth at most, because the majority of SRB2 fans would want to just play the game like it is intended. Those select few could have their one or two roleplaying servers, and leave the rest of the netgamers to go about their business as usual.

I understand how, in the past, really terrible RP servers were set up, and I don't doubt that there would be some more. But maybe there could be some way around it. Perhaps we could authorize one or two official RPing Dedicated Servers, and disallow anything else.

As for clans, I agree that they shouldn't be allowed. They are nothing but trouble.

The reason role playing is banned on the master server is because of the combination of the really low quality of said role playing and because the master server was getting flooded with really terrible servers.

I really cannot explain enough how god-awful the role playing on the MS was. There are 5-6 year old boys playing cops and robbers everywhere that are far better role players than these guys ever were. If you REALLY want to role play with Sonic characters in SRB2, I assure you we are doing you a major favor by disallowing you from hosting on the MS, because if you made a public netgame for role playing you would get the worst role players ever joining your server. Host a private server off the MS and get your friends to join by IP. It will be an improved experience over hosting on the MS, even if we didn't ban role playing on the MS.

I don't think clans should be allowed either, honestly. They're just grounds for gang fighting and more hostility on VS servers. Hostility is something I often avoid.

I really haven't been here long enough to really see some of the RPs so that was a bit new to me what Kuja said, that some were stupid. Now I'm curious to see what exactly he meant. I, myself, have seen some pretty ridiculous RPs on games so I can understand though.

Customizing your name, character, color, etc. isn't really in the game for people to say "Hey, look at my character" as much as it is to distinguish between players and differentiate the gameplay. It can easily be used to the advantage of roleplaying, however, so I see where the assumption is being made.

That does make sense since our names aren't displayed above our heads like on most other games. While we're on the 'color' subject, what's the point of the 'none' color? It just looks green to me. Though that's a little off-topic, I guess. I'm just curious if it effects the gameplay in some other way.

[/quote]I understand. I actually feel that the tension created from the RPing issues and such has created a good deal of prejudice in the community, and I don't like seeing certain ideas shunned the way they are, which is often what it seems to me happens when it comes to the words "hangout" or "RP", both of which may as well be the next Voldemort. Eblo's post is a good example of what I mean.[/quote]

Yeah. Like I said, I'm pretty new to this whole idea and I sympathize with the server owner and don't get me wrong, it's a fun game. I especially like the Mystic Realm thing and it's really awesome someone thought to make a 3-D Sonic game based off the old stuff. I just think maybe pretending to be your character and just saying stuff like you're them or maybe just excluding phrases like "Points" and "Game" would be fun but constitute RP.

I basically agree with Faw up here. Having a few servers set aside for mature and serious RPers couldn't be such a bad thing and they're probably only RPing on the game BECAUSE it's a game that offers a really nice Sonic feel. Plus we really don't have anywhere else to go besides chatrooms and those are kind of boring. So I do think some exception could be made but it's really just up to whatever the creator wants so maybe that idea could be some reality someday.

And thanks for understanding my dislike of hostile posts. It just seems like lately everyone from all reaches of the Sonic fandom is becoming hostile and unfriendly lately but maybe I'm just missing the bigger picture. And for the record, Elbo, I joined this game Friday, 2 days ago so I wasn't sure. No need for rude remarks.

On the side note of why Role-Playing is banned from the Master Server, SA-City might count as another map for Role-Playing servers.

As you can see, SA-City was banned from the Master Server due to the fact too many people jack off, and Cue got very annoyed for the amount of SA-City servers in the Master Server, the reason of why, is because SA-City is like a Hangout/Role-Playing map that is incorperated into SRB2JTE, and rule-breakers usually ignore what Logan, Alam, or Cue say about reading the rules. Same goes for those that RP, Hangout, or jack off in SA-City.

While I believe Blue Warrior may be on the right approach to how the perfect MS would be run, the perfect MS relies heavily on the users not being silly about things. The perfect MS requires equally well behaved users, this is not the case.

The idea of one or two RP servers is a possible way around things but not yet, SRB2 in dedicated mode has severe problems that stop me from getting a server going 24/7, it stops responding to packets after a few hours. I need to have words with Logan and Alam about fixing the damn thing.

Mystic has it spot on, if you've ever been in one of these RP servers you'll understand how badly executed the role play really is. I must ask you though, Blue, how do you define 'abuse'?

Now then, time to pick apart your article...

Democracy - Let the majority make the decision. I see a server where everyone is against just one reporter, and the question needs to be asked, "What's the problem?" If everyone but you likes the server, maybe the server doesn't need to be shut down, but rather you need to get someone to host what you want. Ask people if they'd like to play a match game with you, and if enough people agree, then you're all set! Everyone's happy, no servers are shut down. At the same rate, if there's this one host who is a total numbnut and everybody in the server votes to veto him, report his ass and let him be dealt with by the head dick. Same goes for the people who think it's a good idea to load the entire internet of wads onto his server.

Except the no-brainers of the MS make up over 50%, excuse the prejudice as you call it but this doesn't really seem to help things. Yes, it would be great to be a democracy, means I can kick my feet up and say "go on then, you decide!" but the more intelligent side of the community barely even cares about playing SRB2 online any more, which is where the problems arise. As you said overpowering the noob servers would help but you can't overpower them if you don't have an army to do so with.

Capitalism - By capitalism, I don't mean taking part in stocks or any of that crap; I'm talking about a system of supply-and-demand. If people want a map made a certain way and you're an editor, fulfill the want! And that doesn't mean we have to promote nonquality wads either. When a hangout map comes to your mind, you think of a cramped house with various level design flaws. It doesn't have to be that way. It could be a huge map with a hell of a lot of stuff to do; stuff that makes people go "Hey, Larry, check this out! I found out a way to get the Illustrion-crazy water level to rise above the houses. This is gonna be REALLY interesting." "Why is there water flowing in my living room?" Perhaps not a really good example, but I hope you get the idea. That should at least get people to stop using SA City, and I'm sure we all would like that.

The idea of having decent levels like mentioned above, with an interactive environment, would be nice, but again, those who can do it usually won't and even if they did whether they'd be used it a big deciding factor.

Laissez-faire - This is French for "Let the people do as they please". Here we're talking about something little kids on the master server want to use; this is a Sonic game, and Sonic is aimed toward kids. A lot of us here are damned near adults, and we're going to take away something that younger kids enjoy using in their community circles? It's almost hypocritical from a forum-wide standpoint. So what if the gametypes aren't used exactly as we wanted -- if people enjoy it, then the gametypes' purpose is served. Let them do as they please. On the other hand, if you want your master server back, don't depend on the authorities to do anything for you; dominate the master server yourself. Make a plan, and organize a time for people to play some awesome-sauce match with you. If you outnumber the coop servers, then you've regained power, and the master server is enjoyable for the older community once again. But I think #srb2fun won't do this.... Will you?

See point on overpowering above.

There are ways to create awesome-sauce match servers, but if we want them to start overpowering then we need to get our hands on another server and fix up the dedicated mode in SRB2, stick 3 or so on there (match, CTF and race, I guess) and sticky them (which I can do now, ever wonder why the SRB2.org server is always at the top?) and we may get somewhere. Of course, we might not even need another server, I haven't really looked at our server running more than one SRB2 server at full capacity yet, so all is left to debate, if we can get 3 or so 24/7 servers up then great!

We could always just not have a centralized Master Server for everyone to mooch off of. Many of us exist in our little separated SRB2 communities or situations, so often a IP based game is actually rather effective.

Why not have everyone else deal with the RP issue on their own terms instead of forcing certain obligations down everyone else's throats?

As long as the MS is here, people will go "hey let's play a rp game, i'll host on the ms lol". If the MS isn't there, they'll find someone else's master server to mend with, and most likely one that's RP friendly. If not, they can get their friends together and make their own and invite people themselves.
People who are generally looking for a well-done CTF game could just plop into #srb2fun (although they're probably already sitting in there anyways...) and round up people for it. "Pro" players don't have to bother with rampant, distracing, RPing imbeciles, and pathetic, idiotic dictators won't stop the RPers from actually ENJOYING themselves for once. We can also divert those resources to actually getting more important stuff done...

I'm personally tired of the dead-end generic Match and Coop servers that rarely if ever go beyond Mystic Realm (which will probably be the representative of these so called "perfect Match/CTF/Race/RP servers"). If anything, we should be ENCOURAGING creative play and custom wads, not dull and illustriously boring standard play. But that's just me. :)

People wanting to find a proper game can't find one? Well, that's because people who PLAYED the proper game are just bored of it now or cannot round up enough people to play and thus the amount of people who do properly play it are droping in numbers exponentially as a rolling result. If you want a good CTF game, you shouldn't be looking at the Coop games anyways... I feel that improvement is not in killing the bad, but in reviving the good.

I'm going a bit off topic here, so...

Actually, Peno, that was awesome.

Regarding BW's "Capitalism," I think Torgo, Jazz, and JEV3 all remember that one time we played an unfinished FFZ2 with an unintentional testing spawn. ;)

Galefox said:
I really haven't been here long enough to really see some of the RPs so that was a bit new to me what Kuja said, that some were stupid. Now I'm curious to see what exactly he meant. I, myself, have seen some pretty ridiculous RPs on games so I can understand though.
While I don't have any logs of them anymore (some other people here might), basically I can emulate the style of these RPs okay:

<player1> lol im sonic
<player2> lol im tails
<player1> im waiting lets go
<player3> im attacking you what do you do
<player1> i go super sonic and you cant hurt me lol
<player2> lets go beat eggman
<player3> hes robotnik, dumbass
<player1> lets go eat some chili dogs lol
<player2> yay i love chili dogs

Now, this may sound bad, but this is actually much better than the real thing, as hard as that can be to believe. I don't know why, but our community just brings out the worst in the Sonic fanbase in this regard.

Galefox said:
That does make sense since our names aren't displayed above our heads like on most other games. While we're on the 'color' subject, what's the point of the 'none' color? It just looks green to me. Though that's a little off-topic, I guess. I'm just curious if it effects the gameplay in some other way.
The none color just doesn't apply a color change, which is why it turns green, as the original image in the game's data is green. If you set it to none, it won't have a color to make the spindash color trail and the little graphic behind the thok, either.

Galefox said:
I basically agree with Faw up here. Having a few servers set aside for mature and serious RPers couldn't be such a bad thing and they're probably only RPing on the game BECAUSE it's a game that offers a really nice Sonic feel. Plus we really don't have anywhere else to go besides chatrooms and those are kind of boring. So I do think some exception could be made but it's really just up to whatever the creator wants so maybe that idea could be some reality someday.
While this sounds good on paper, there is an issue with the "mature and serious" part. Part of what makes role playing work is the trust between the players involved to try to play by the rules of role playing. This is true for all kinds of role playing, from chat rooms to Dungeons and Dragons. When you introduce a new player to a D&D game, it's important that the new player manages to fit into the game without ruining the mood. If you're playing a serious role playing game and your new friend just keeps doing silly things like attempting to make a rat-flail, it won't be fun for anyone. D&D works because everyone in the game is trying to keep the game going in the tone for the whole group.

However, role playing on a public master server doesn't work like that. You get people joining and leaving the game at all times, and you get a bunch of people who don't know how to role play attempting to do so very badly. Even if you somehow got a good role playing group going against all odds, it would take almost no time at all for new people to join the game and ruin it. It would be like playing Dungeons and Dragons in a public dining hall and having random people off the street with no knowledge in how to play D&D sitting down every 5 minutes to play. There's just no way that you would have a good role playing experience like that.

I like role playing. I play Dungeons and Dragons every Tuesday at a friend's apartment, and we have a blast. However, I know full well the implications with public role playing servers on the master server, and the results are a bunch of retarded children running around pretending to be Sonic, very, very badly. That's not a good role playing environment for anyone.

If you would like to role play in SRB2, get your friends together and set up a server off of the master server, and join via IP address. Not only will you get to do what you wanted to do, you'll have a much better experience because you won't have retards joining your game every 5 minutes. I'd say that's definitely worth the extra hassle of doing it the old fashioned way.

I have seen both sides of this issue quite clearly (given the amount of times I've brought it up), and I see one clear answer: abolish the MS. Let everyone form their own little mini-communities, and not be forced to follow the rules of another. That way, we're all happy. The RPers can have what they want, and we can finally get rid of the god-awful reporting system that's spawning players whose sole intent of joining servers is to be tattle-tails. It's not like joining via IP address will kill anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back