When do you change your avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Segmint said:
JPGs tend to deteriorate over time though. Might I suggest converting to PNG?
What are you trying to say? Images stored on a web server are going to deteriorate over time? Gimme a break.

The original image I made that from is a JPEG. There's simply no reason to go from a lossy format to a non-lossy one. Not to mention that JPEG is a perfectly good format for anything like that that doesn't involve text. I haven't changed that image in almost 3 years. It's not going to look any better or worse if I don't mess with it, and converting it to a lossless format isn't going to restore detail that doesn't exist to begin with.

People need to stop thinking JPEG is some kind of sin. There are times when it's the perfect format for the situation, people.

GIF doesn't blur anything, it just reduces colors. If anything, it'd create banding or low-color error diffusion, but no blurring.

I checked with photoshop, and it seems that turning images into gif slightly blurs the image. The one I have right now is a gif, and when zoomed, some of Vector's dark green shading has some light green pixels.

No, CZ64, that's just called Photoshop's Poor Excuse For Color Selection. In Paint Shop Pro, I find that if I use the Optimizer, that I can see the output much better and can fine-tune the compression. Remember that the only thing GIF does to compress images is reduce the amount of colors to 256 - it does nothing beyond that. It doesn't create any kind of artifacts like JPEG does.

Using Photoshop's 'Save Optimized As.." button, you can choose which colors you want to keep and fine-tune everything with two to four different kinds of compression on the screen at once.

nitro_the_hedghog said:
Whenever I can think of something better than what I have.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I may change my avatar pretty soon. I'm getting tired of looking at just only my character's face so I'll try & make a better one. Where can I upload a piece of artwork and be able to reduce its size to Avatar size and display it as my avatar here?

SONIC'S SENTRY said:
nitro_the_hedghog said:
You took the words right out of my mouth. I may change my avatar pretty soon. I'm getting tired of looking at just only my character's face so I'll try & make a better one. Where can I upload a piece of artwork and be able to reduce its size to Avatar size and display it as my avatar here?

I use ACDSee to reduce avatars, you may try that too.

Cory the Hedgehog said:
It looks like you recolored SF94's Morph for the hair and then edited it to be like MS.

I had permission from him to do it. You can see now I updated it now to look like he's wearing a jersey and pants.

The Blue Panther said:
SONIC'S SENTRY said:
nitro_the_hedghog said:

I use ACDSee to reduce avatars, you may try that too.
I was looking for a website. Not a program. But still...is this program free? Where can I download it at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back