What in the world is SRB2 Workshop?

Screenshot_20230921_193721_Chrome.jpg

Post automatically merged:

Well, I'm done fighting for today

But why are we being hypocritical, adding copyright laws when SEGA is letting it slide? Why can't we? And before you say, "its a fan project", they chose to work on it. SEGA is a corporation that has to make Sonic games. Modders dont. It feels so wrong to say, "dont use my stuff kthx" when SEGA is like sure whatevs
Its not like you HAVE to make your stuff non reusable, Modders take time out of their day to do what they want to do, making a project because they want to and have the skills and time. As a modder, modding takes alot of time and skill, even for making a simple lua script it would take some basic understanding of code. People don't want their things to be taken willy nilly without permission. So if someone don't want you to use my hard work without explicit permission, you shouldn't use their hard work without explicit permission. It doesn't matter if sega allows this fan game to exist. Just because this is a sonic fan game doesn't mean you can simply take other people's work without permission if they want that.

Also this arguement kinda falls flat, considering that Mario fans are fine (I hope), but yet Nintendo says nah no fangames
Im referring to the fact that most fans don't take advantage of this and try to profit off of said sonic IP *cough* *cough* sonic omens.

Its not like you HAVE to make your stuff non reusable, Modders take time out of their day to do what they want to do, making a project because they want to and have the skills and time. As a modder, modding takes alot of time and skill, even for making a simple lua script it would take some basic understanding of code. People don't want their things to be taken willy nilly without permission. So if someone don't want you to use my hard work without explicit permission, you shouldn't use their hard work without explicit permission. It doesn't matter if sega allows this fan game to exist. Just because this is a sonic fan game doesn't mean you can simply take other people's work without permission if they want that.
So i guess the mario mods aren't relevant are they?

considering the subject of this topic, no. They're not.

Sega Uses Sonic as a good will IP with the fans to the point that who knows if people will even notice if he goes public domain. Fan works however are not something you can just rip off though. Sega got caught doing this themselves by accident multiple times and their Genesis mod workshop on steam (for hacks) didn't go as planned.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that they're not, considering that mario is from a company that actually has a history of taking down fangames and fan mods.

People don't want their things to be taken willy nilly without permission. So if someone don't want you to use my hard work without explicit permission, you shouldn't use their hard work without explicit permission. It doesn't matter if sega allows this fan game to exist. Just because this is a sonic fan game doesn't mean you can simply take other people's work without permission if they want that.
I don't think most companies would want you using their hard work willy-nilly either.
"Copyright infringement is fine except when it happens to me" is what I'm getting from this.

So i guess the mario mods aren't relevant are they?
if Nintendo wants to take them down, then id assume they can.
I don't think most companies would want you using their hard work willy-nilly either.
"Copyright infringement is fine except when it happens to me" is what I'm getting from this.
we aren't talking about most companies, were talking about sega, and sega allows people to use the Sonic IP freely.

"we aren't talking about most companies, were talking about sega, and sega allows people to use the Sonic IP freely."
So what if its SEGA? That doesn't change Sandwich's argument here. Just because its SEGA doesn't mean the "copyright infringement is fine except for me" mentality is ok here. That mentality in its entirety is honestly as bad as something like tenure in a fan community.

Well you also have to remember that Sega themselves got caught using fanworks without permission multiple times and had to delete or replace the fanwork if they could. (there were few cases were removal and replacement were not options due to the tech)

So what if its SEGA? That doesn't change Sandwich's argument here. Just because its SEGA doesn't mean the "copyright infringement is fine except for me" mentality is ok here. That mentality in its entirety is honestly as bad as something like tenure in a fan community.
expect..... there's no copyright infringement in this entire ordeal.

Copyright rules for mods should not apply when the game is a FANMADE game using SEGA's IP.
do you seriously want people to go around and take other peoples work they don't want to be used without permission? do you think this is respectful in the slightest?

That doesn't change Sandwich's argument here
Sandwich has no argument lmao, theres no copyright infringment here. All I'm seeing here is a lack of respect for artists. The art in question being a mod for a Sonic fangame makes no difference; it's still the author's original work and you should respect their wishes regardless.

If copyright was all that mattered, then Sega could have just kept using Nibroc's official looking renders, or that Fan art of Sonia they cliped a part of for a Queen Card in Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing

As for his other point that no art is fully original, that is another rabbit hole that is bigger than SRB2, heck even video games

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back