What if there was a sandbox style sonic game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wondered about that, 3D sonic games are mostly just 3D versions of the 2D games. You're pretty much forced where to go and the speed isn't so fun in 3D when you're just running the same route every time. If there were a free-roam version you're speed actually becomes more useful.

Hangout zone

A sand box map would be a good place to hang out in. It should have a fighting arena area with lots of enemies (like the old chaos mode) and a sort of building place (for those people who like to pretend they own a shop and sell things to people). different sections for different types of play. Also sand box doesn't have an objective because you decide what to do and how to to it. That's why it would be fun, it's up to the player(s).

Does the original Jak & Daxter count as 'sandbox', where the entire game was just one level, split into one big area? If they somehow managed to mix with the Sonic gameplay from SA1/2, that'd be great. Just make it a Mario 64 style collect-a-thon, with long stretches of speed-based gameplay, and platforming challenges to get to the collectibles.

A sandbox is, by definition, a type of level design concept where a player can freely roam a virtual world. We've had that with Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic '06, and Sonic Unleashed. You can explore the world, do side missions, or go directly to your next destination.

It's not a sandbox like GTA, but we've already had it all of these years. You guys just didn't noticed.

A sandbox is, by definition, a type of level design concept where a player can freely roam a virtual world. We've had that with Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic '06, and Sonic Unleashed. You can explore the world, do side missions, or go directly to your next destination.

It's not a sandbox like GTA, but we've already had it all of these years. You guys just didn't noticed.
I see what you mean CZ64, Each of the 3 you mentioned are Open with world maps, you can use your abilities within these area, and you can talk to the people in these areas. But I just do not see how they can be considered as such. <=/ Maybe I'm just not..."Open"-minded as much as I thought I was...
(open ended game pun lol)

Oksay, time to break the forums.

You're missing one key ingredient in your description: Platforming. I'm not going to buy the sonic equivalent of Star fox Adventures.

It's a "sandbox" game. You make it YOUR way. Guess what that means? You can MAKE platforming! *gasp*

Sonic Adventure

No. Just because you have a HUB world to run around in doesn't make it a sandbox game.

Actually it could work, Certain things could open up for later use, for example: The Tornado might need to be used for a fight in the sky; and then you can use it whenever you please after words ( or just for more "Tornado Sidequests).

Emerald hunts; could be slightly different, the only way I could think it would work would be using the "Emerald radar" and finding it before eggman does, if he finds it, you have to attack him before he escapes,and if he does end up escaping you'll have to steal it back from his base.

Fighting Eggman is just simple; make it a plot quest...Maybe he can be in a giant mech, or send a robot after you ( Metal Sonic fight anyone?)

Super form is slightly tougher...The way this works could be if you have all 7 chaos emeralds before a final fight ( this could mean you can get the emeralds before eggman even knows of them via Special Stages or buying them off someone ( Nack, Rouge, etc.)). after that you could buy the skill "Super Transform" and have access to it.

And I think it would be cool to have a similar concept of being good or evil, similiar to inFamous; where Sonic could chose his path as well as perhaps have more Abilities to have access to...

It could be translated, not well, but translated...an example could be the generic "Run through rings" missions, they would work; but it would be obviously something everyone has done... So the challenge is finding something Sonic could do for a side quest that isn't Generic, but also fun...

tl;dr: It's possible, but it just wouldn't work, what needs to be done is find some quests that would fit Sonic's abilities while making it entertaining for the player...

No, no. You play it YOUR way. This means you choose to have emeralds or not. You choose to have emerald hunts. You choose to go super. Good/evil... Shadow the Hedgehog

SEGA

Well for one thing I think the first post is actually talking about an open-ended game, rather than a sandbox game. Open-ended allows you to choose your own path, but a sandbox game is were you just do stuff and fool around without ever winning.
I've played RTSs which offer a sandbox mode where all you do is build and build and build. I think the best example of sandbox is Minecraft. You can be a jerk and flood people's mines and all, but generally speaking you're all just in there basically building a level. You don't "win" until your group is satisfied with the landscape.

A sandbox platformer would be like playing Mario 64 without anything but the castle. A sandbox RPG would be like playing a Zelda game without quests. Neither really sounds sufficient for a retail game to me.

Now the question of whether it is possible to do an open-ended Sonic game is another question entirely...

Take Garry's Mod. Make it so completely custom level making in the game was possible. Make it Sonic characters only. Pick between platforming, speed levels, or long-ass levels like Eggmanland. OH HEY! You just made the perfect Sonic game. How? Because now the classic Sonic fans can make their own adventure. Well, in the case that Sonic 4 sucks.

I may have been caught on going a little strong here, but trust me. There are things you need to focus on. You practically avoided all of the things I had to point out. Take these points and put them to the test.

Wall o' text here

I understand completely what you are saying, my suggestion though is one of optional gameplay, though in the case of the Tornado, it must be done at some point ( meaning you might only have to use it once, and never again if you oh so please) good/evil in Shadow the hedgehog wasn't as compelling as inFamous' Good/Evil, in that one parts of the plot are changed, powers you have are effected and the reaction of citizens is different. In ShTH though, the changes are not as big. (unless you mean plot, it is way different)

Everything else, like emeralds/super/emmy shard hunt, you got right. but in the case of Eggman, that can't be an "Optional" thing.

I understand completely what you are saying, my suggestion though is one of optional gameplay, though in the case of the Tornado, it must be done at some point ( meaning you might only have to use it once, and never again if you oh so please) good/evil in Shadow the hedgehog wasn't as compelling as inFamous' Good/Evil, in that one parts of the plot are changed, powers you have are effected and the reaction of citizens is different. In ShTH though, the changes are not as big. (unless you mean plot, it is way different)

Everything else, like emeralds/super/emmy shard hunt, you got right. but in the case of Eggman, that can't be an "Optional" thing.

Sonic sandbox game: No plot, no forced Eggman

I believe what the discussion is more aimed at here is a game where you do the missions in the same environment you roam around, as opposed to having a hub world to access missions from.

I believe what the discussion is more aimed at here is a game where you do the missions in the same environment you roam around, as opposed to having a hub world to access missions from.
What Cue said. GTA is a prime example. Of course, another fangame called Sonic: The Fated Hour's SAGE08 demo shows 2 missions. One in which Vector says you need to escape the water before you drown, and another where Espio has you collect pumpkins. This is basically what Cue defines if you lack the IQ to comprehend.

We've been given some good examples of sandbox games but not exactly everything was explained.
A sandbox game is a game where you pretty much have a free area to roam around in yourself as many of us said. But another thing is doing whatever you want where you can create specific encounters that are not carefully scripted, planned movements. Like getting into a fight in GTA, it was not scripted for it to automatically happen, you caused it. YOU control what can happen. With Sonic games, it's mostly goal-oriented to capture the point of every Sonic game. Not very close to sandbox.

I'm just not sure what Sonic would do when not doing missions or whatever. Run in one direction? Jump over things? There isn't much he can really do outside of that. His games work (well, the ones that do) because he has a clear goal, with clear obstacles. In a sandbox game, neither the goal nor the obstacles are clear. So it's just running.

Think an entire game made of corridors.

GTA is a good sandbox game because you can cause mass carnage that starts off as a simple attempt to drive somewhere. Sonic doesn't have that.

I'm just not sure what Sonic would do when not doing missions or whatever. Run in one direction? Jump over things? There isn't much he can really do outside of that. His games work (well, the ones that do) because he has a clear goal, with clear obstacles. In a sandbox game, neither the goal nor the obstacles are clear. So it's just running.

Think an entire game made of corridors.

GTA is a good sandbox game because you can cause mass carnage that starts off as a simple attempt to drive somewhere. Sonic doesn't have that.

Well it depends on whether SEGA wants it to be possible, and whether you want to start it. If SEGA allows it, all that's left is for you to make the decision.

I see a sonic sandbox game as Sonic Chronicles. ven though you follow the plot there's still optional missions and its free roaming.

Oh come on!

3KB? I'm assuming it's a literal sandbox. If so, what a complete waste of your time.

You ruin EVERYTHING!!!!!!
EDIT: YOU RUIN EVERYTHING!

oh and i put my time into making it. (just so you know)

Last edited:
I think the main thing that would have to be thought about is the size of the area's. If were talking sonic like speed in the game then the maps can't be to small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back