• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Wadding Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonicandtails218 said:
I'm entering too. I'm doing a different level, so don't expect a 2D CTF Tails level. On a side note, are these going to be judged like the official ones, where everyone votes?

Yes, these are going to be ones where everyone votes.

hotdog003 said:
May I ask a dumb old question?

FireKid, did you get my level, or do I need to resend it?

Yes, I got your level hotdog003.

Sonicandtails218 said:
This contest is certainly getting a lot of popularity. What is it, 8 people we have entering?

There are so far 8 people have entered.

ATTENTION: There's one thing that's different in this contest. You are allowed to edit the maps having sent them already to me. However, the map received last from you shall be the one that will be judged.

If I feel well-enough to wad, I'll also make one or two or three... But I'm feeling like... I've been bulldozed into a wall, then tossed in molten lava. Heck, I can't even speak (in the real world...), but hopefully it'll go away today...

For the first time, I actually feel like entering a contest. Who knows? with prizes THAT good, I might try wadding for once.

I actually have a whole bunch of wads that I never submitted to anything. Some are very small, but I'm having header troubles with others. I'll have to go upload them when I get the chance. Here are the names, and when I get some webspace I'll put them here to try out.

Magma Base
Skyline Heights
Rocky Ravine

P.S.-Where should I get space on the net.

Web space these days generally means one of the following:

1) Paying monthly.
2) Crappy ads, stupid file size restrictions, and the inability to direct link.
3) If you have broadband, doing it yourself, resulting in a slow, unreliable server that interferes with other activities you might want to do, such as playing SRB2 netgames.
4) Bumming space off someone who's doing #1 and knows you well.

For a lot of people around here, because they have limited income, dialup or firewalls out of their control, and don't know the right people, #2 is the only option available.

The SRB2 web site uses #4. I do #4 and also #3 for file storage and where convenient.

If #2 is your only option, there's freewebs and ripway and tripod and angelfire and maybe some others. I have no idea how they compare, but I can say pretty confidently they all suck.

Triad Trials Zone is finished, and submitted. So, just to show you what you're up against, here is the description, to be added with the wad when they are put onto the addons section.

Triad Trials. The mystical place combining air, earth, and the subterrainean depths of hell into one kickass arena. Developed with many long hours at WadAuthor and DoomBuilder, and a lot of paitience, it is easily my greatest creation yet. Like my previous levels, it tends to use a lot of right angles. Unlike my previous levels, I thought up the basic structure before I thought up the basic idea-that being three sections, one of Aerial Garden type, one of Greenflower type, and one using what was supposed to be Mine Maze I suppose-but then again, almost all levels use Deep Sea textures in the air, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Play Tips:
This is a large level, meant for larger games, at least three people. If you can get someone to host more, that is great *coughFuriousFoxcough*.

This isn't a real Knuckles level, considering that I don't know how and don't like to play as or build for him, so deal. And, being a large Tails fanatic, this is Tails friendly. Really Tails friendly, so of course, you might want to try using him.

The underground section is dark-I know. This means that you might want to crank your brightness up, or else someone who does and you don't will have an advantage. I'm bringing this into the open so it's a fair playing field.

Why all the explosion rings? I like them. Rail+bomb is my favorite combo, and it isn't too powered while being useful and easy to get.

The ground section's towers aren't there for show-you can get up there. Just remember-search around, and I hope you can swim.

The air section is very icy, because that's fun. Now, this isn't Midnight Freeze-the platforms are large and easy to manuver around. Also, don't be afraid to go after the moniters, as it is possible to get them. Big risk = big goodies. I'm not just going to let you have an armaggedon shield, now am I?

That's about it for the description. Just keep in mind that this map is much better with more people, but even if you have a friend over for split screen, that's alright. Especially for those of you who can't play netgames over IRC-you need to play multiplayer to vote well.

EDIT: Oh yeah. The music is a midi from Lunar 2.

Oh, great.

Wait 'till you see what I have.

Subterranean Sickness.
Sonic and Co. tm stumble upon an underground volcano somehow. The volcano is about to blow, but just as they were going to escape, some rocks blocked their exit...

Features:
o SONIC II Sound loop WITH intro WITHOUT reduction of quality, but the file size is as small as ever. Because of the intro, this won't work right on slow computers like mine.
o Lava WITH Light Sfx
o Moving platforms
o A rock that gives you rings
o A pointless light effect in the middle of the level
o 32 DM Starts
o Tons of rings
o Plenty of secrets; The weapons usually aren't in the open. You'll have to go look for them. Too bad...

I mean, a rock that, when you stand on it, falls and gives you rings. Pointless, I know, but I wanted to experement. I forgot to remove it. Oh well.

This contest is going to be close. All three levels already submitted have been extremely good. However, do not let this message discourage all you other wad makers who have entered this contest. Your wad may very well be better than the three already received. So far, I have the wad of SS005, hotdog003, and Sonicandtails218.

Since only 3 out of the 8 people that signed up have given me their wad, I'm extending the contest until the end of November. This should let the people that aren't going to finish in time finish. I'm sorry to you 3 who have already sent in your wads, but the other people haven't finished yet. I hope you guys can wait a little longer.

Also, please send your wads by e-mail. If I loose your wad, I can just go back and redownload it this way. Please send the files to flamearrowstar at netscape dot net.

*tick... tock... tick... tock...*
*reads post*

Wha? Man... The suspense is killing me. I'll be lucky if i even LIVE to the end of november.

I was going to create something in a panicked rush on Halloween night. Since the end of the contest has been pushed back, I won't enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back