Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Spacewalk Zone Act 1, it's right here!

C&C please!

Oh wow... I really do have to say you did a fantastic job on it. I'm not really a critic when it comes to music, so I am not sure what to say on how you should improve it. But it did give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I did hear it... Reminds me a lot of Super Mario Galaxy. None the less, I really did enjoy it and I hope to hear it in the future installs of Tortured Planet. =)

Also, nice to see another Wesley here. =P

Oh wow... I really do have to say you did a fantastic job on it. I'm not really a critic when it comes to music, so I am not sure what to say on how you should improve it. But it did give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I did hear it... Reminds me a lot of Super Mario Galaxy. None the less, I really did enjoy it and I hope to hear it in the future installs of Tortured Planet. =)

It's not a coincidence that you say that, because my inspiration was fueled by Space Junk Galaxy.

Also, nice to see another Wesley here. =P
Haha, it is a rare name, huh?

...oh, MAN. That is far and away my favorite track you've done so far. I was literally gasping as I listened to that. It's perfect for Spacewalk. In fact, I'd say that you did a considerably better job composing music for that zone than I did actually designing it. I'm positively ravenous for more.

By the way, you might want to update your signature. Oh, and I just noticed--why are some tracks in OGG and some in MP3? Shouldn't they all be OGG, for size concerns?

Last edited:
...oh, MAN. That is far and away my favorite track you've done so far. I was literally gasping as I listened to that. It's perfect for Spacewalk. In fact, I'd say that you did a considerably better job composing music for that zone than I did actually designing it. I'm positively ravenous for more.

Haha, you don't know how good that made me feel. I was having so much doubts about this song, and that just dispelled them all!
Oh, and I just noticed--why are some tracks in OGG and some in MP3? Shouldn't they all be OGG, for size concerns?
I'm just a bit disorganized with that all at the moment. I have an .ogg and an .mp3 of each one, solely for the purpose that some things, such as the Audio Player on my website, can't use .ogg's. If you want, I can clean the silence off the end of them and reupload as .ogg's a little later.

Wonderful! I was in my computer so I couldn't hear, but now in my sister's computer I can hear everything! Round of applauses for Charybdizs!!!

So about Gritty Columns Zone Act 2.

I started making it and thought it was really awesome, and then realized it really stunk BAD so I started over. And I had the same problem, again. So I come to my my question. Should I make it an intense ominous sounding temple theme, or more of an ambient one, like Sandy Shrine in XSRB?

Wow! These music pieces are amazing! What did you use to make them?
Kill me for saying this, but I think these tracks are much better then whatever SRB2 has.

Kill me for saying this, but I think these tracks are much better then whatever SRB2 has.

Pffft, no. I like the Drowned Downtown track, but this stuff is pretty repetitive and amateurtish, and often lacking in any actual melody.

The standard SRB2 music is godlike in comparison.

Pffft, no. I like the Drowned Downtown track, but this stuff is pretty repetitive and amateurtish, and often lacking in any actual melody.

Thanks!

Haha, but in all seriousness, you're right about almost everything there. It definitely is an amateur attempt, because I'm certainly not professional.

Lacking in actual melody? Except for Drowned Downtown Zone and Spacewalk Zone, the rest rely more on everything but melody, and that's a known problem of mine. Well, it's not necessarily a problem, it just depends on who you ask.

As for repetitive? I'm not so sure if you're right there. Sunshine Atoll? Definitely! But the rest, I don't know about, unless you're gonna call Tempest Valley, Deep Sea Zone, Egg Rock Zone, Techno Hill Zone, Midnight Freeze Zone, Flame Rift Zone, Sunken Plant Zone, Aerial Garden Zone, and Verdant Forest Zone all repetitive too, because they don't have that much variation to them either.

The standard SRB2 music is godlike in comparison.

Well, that's debatable. It's sure pretty legendary, but I wouldn't call it the best music I've ever heard. The thing I like about it most is that it fits the games style better than mine does... I might have to Lo-Fi some of my songs at some point just to make them seem more natural... But if I do that, people will say it's too "Midi-ish". Maybe they should realize that even the non-midi tracks in SRB2 are mostly Midi's with Effects applied. Obviously there's some exceptions, like the guitar in Egg Rock Zone, and things like that though. Ultimately, It's up to Fawfulfan what I do with it.

What did you use to make them?

FL Studio

...Yes, I know it has a bad reputation because that's what everyone does their lame Techno Remixes with, but that doesn't mean thats all you can do with it.

So about Gritty Columns Zone Act 2.

I started making it and thought it was really awesome, and then realized it really stunk BAD so I started over. And I had the same problem, again. So I come to my my question. Should I make it an intense ominous sounding temple theme, or more of an ambient one, like Sandy Shrine in XSRB?
I think it should be analogous to the relationship between the current SRB2 music used for GCZ1 and GCZ2. GCZ1 should be a faster-paced, ambient tune, and GCZ2 should be an intense, ominous remix of that.

As for the quality, I am perfectly fine with what is currently there. Other than minor maintenance, such as volume consistency and making the tracks cleanly loop, I don't really want anything changed about what you have so far.

Last edited:
All I have to say about SWZ is that it's beautiful. There are clear similarities between some Mario Galaxy pieces and this one. The only thing is I don't like the instrument used for the pitch bend a few seconds in, can you change that? Maybe to a piano or just something different just beacuse it sounds odd.

All I have to say about SWZ is that it's beautiful.
So Spirit Crusher, you see. SWZ is beautiful and you can't fight that. But I think it's SZ, not SWZ... Ah, nevermind...

Uh... Charybdizs... I agree with daiches99, the Spacewalk song isn't too good for a lonely space station. Until now all fast-rythym (is it right?) songs there are in TP are from Eruption Conduit. Maybe you should make it more... hum... I dunno, but not too slow. I still think DSZ's songs fit well with it. You could make remixes :D

So Spirit Crusher, you see. SWZ is beautiful and you can't fight that. But I think it's SZ, not SWZ... Ah, nevermind...

1. He was talking about the song.
  2. Even if he was talking about the level, it would still be his opinion, not the truth, so I can very well fight that.
  3. Fawfulfan admits it's a rather bad level too.
  4. Why are you so quick to defend this level?
  5. The abbreviation is whatever you want it to be. I use SWZ, Fawfulfan uses SZ. The Wiki uses SWZ because I made the articles and nobody changed that since then.
So why do I have to explain this to you?

Uh... Charybdizs... I agree with daiches99, the Spacewalk song isn't too good for a lonely space station. Until now all fast-rythym (is it right?) songs there are in TP are from Eruption Conduit. Maybe you should make it more... hum... I dunno, but not too slow. I still think DSZ's songs fit well with it. You could make remixes :D
The music is perfectly appropriate. The tune he made was more or less how I envisioned Spacewalk's music should sound all along. I sometimes imagined that it would be good with the Space Junk Galaxy music myself, so it could not be more fitting that that served as Charybdizs's inspiration. I chose DSZ's tracks because they were the closest official SRB2 tunes to the effect I really wanted. I also think DSZ's music was a good fit...but this is a better fit. And I think Charybdizs is planning some faster-paced tunes as well; he just hasn't made any of them yet.

The abbreviation is whatever you want it to be. I use SWZ, Fawfulfan uses SZ. The Wiki uses SWZ because I made the articles and nobody changed that since then.So why do I have to explain this to you?
Lately I've actually been using SWZ too--check my more recent posts. But I'm quite fine with both; as far as I'm concerned, SZ and SWZ are equally valid abbreviations, just like you said.

Last edited:
All I have to say about SWZ is that it's beautiful. There are clear similarities between some Mario Galaxy pieces and this one. The only thing is I don't like the instrument used for the pitch bend a few seconds in, can you change that? Maybe to a piano or just something different just beacuse it sounds odd.

I thought that it sounded more like music from the Katamari series. Anyways, the songs are decent, but they won't really fit with SRB2 music.

"Not fitting in with the SRB2 music" seems a common complaint. I admit it isn't that much like the standard tracks, but I think that the music does fit in with the effect Tortured Planet tries to achieve. Also bear in mind that we are hearing these tunes out of context. Listening intently to them on a website is not the same as playing a level with that music in the background. I think the music will feel more appropriate once it has been implemented.

It's funny watching you guys all argue about stuff! :D

I guess I'm gonna just go with the music I've been doing now, seeing as FFF is fine with it, so I'm fine with it, too.

Until now all fast-rythym (is it right?) songs there are in TP are from Eruption Conduit. Maybe you should make it more... hum... I dunno, but not too slow.
The way I see it, most Act 1 songs are more laid-back, and the Act 2 songs are more of a faster, more groovier, remix. All my Act 2 music is gonna be faster. And also, LGZ and GCZ are gonna be faster more intense ones in the first place.

I still think DSZ's songs fit well with it. You could be lame! :D
No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back