Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, also, please bear in mind that if I am going to use custom music, I need to have remixes for Act 2 of each zone as well. Furthermore, I am going to need boss music, too (two boss tracks: one for the standard Act 3 bosses, and one for Star Showdown Zone)

Following up on my previous comments, I've listened to those tracks a couple more times, and I'm really starting to like them. Assuming you can create an entire soundtrack, and assuming that each track is at least as good as the two you have made so far, I will definitely use your music. You would of course be inducted as an official Tortured Planet coauthor.

Here is a list of all the potential tracks I would need.

REQUIRED TRACKS:
These are the ones I will definitely need at a bare minimum.

Sunshine Atoll Zone Act 1 (finished)
Sunshine Atoll Zone Act 2
Eruption Conduit Zone Act 1 (finished)
Eruption Conduit Zone Act 2
Drowned Downtown Zone Act 1
Drowned Downtown Zone Act 2
Snowcap Nimbus Zone Act 1
Snowcap Nimbus Zone Act 2
Gritty Columns Zone Act 1
Gritty Columns Zone Act 2
Fume Shaft Zone Act 1
Fume Shaft Zone Act 2
Liftoff Gantry Zone Act 1
Liftoff Gantry Zone Act 2
Spacewalk Zone Act 1
Spacewalk Zone Act 2
Alien Armageddon Zone Act 1
Alien Armageddon Zone Act 2
Standard Boss Battle
Star Showdown Zone

PREFERRED TRACKS:
You don't HAVE to make these, but it would urge you to do so.

Main Menu
Special Stage
Beginning Cutscene
Standard Pre-Zone Cutscene

OPTIONAL TRACKS:
Obviously it would be nice if you could make these, but I won't be too disappointed if you decide not to.

Invincibility
Super Sneakers
Super Sonic
Level Complete
Game Over
Coast Clash Zone
Molten Massacre Zone
Flooded Fray Zone
Slippery Skirmish Zone
Baked Brawl Zone
Toxic Turmoil Zone
Rocket Rampage Zone
Weightless Whaling Zone
Apocalypse Abuse Zone

Last edited:
Yep, I already have some good ideas for the Act 2 remixes. (That's why the songs were called Act 1, because they're ONLY for Act 1).
Boss music... I was thinking, I could make a different remix a boss theme for each zone, is it possible to put a different one for each zone boss in?

I'm glad you like it! I wasn't sure about it myself, it's REALLY hard to criticize your own music. I can definitely do an entire soundtrack though.

I think I'm gonna start on the boss theme right now.

By the way, to everyone who has been asking me, I can now tell you when v9.0 is coming out: It will be released as soon as Charybdizs's soundtrack is finished and implemented. Besides the new music, there won't be a great deal of improvement beyond a tiny bit of optimization and maybe one or two bugfixes. I won't rule out the possibility of some extra stuff in the levels, but don't hold me to that.

Yes, it was a GREAT idea to quote THE ENTIRE LIST.

Seriously, you could have not quoted it and we'd get the post. You don't need to REpost something we all gotta scroll though.

Well the music sounds brilliant, is there anyway this can get touched up at all instrument wise, some of the parts just loose their awesomeness due to that.

Plus, waiting for all those tunes may take some time, could we possibly have half of the soundtrack in a release?

Well the music sounds brilliant, is there anyway this can get touched up at all instrument wise, some of the parts just loose their awesomeness due to that.

I can tell you right now, and I think others will probably agree, having really high quality realistic sounding music would sound akward in a lo-fi game like srb2. Take a look at all the other srb2 music. It's not made with incredible samples or stuff, it just sticks to the roots. Just like srb2 plays like the old games, the music should kind of go with that flow, right? I mean, I do have it within my capabilities to do that, but I just think it would be silly.

As for that list of music, I'll definitely do all the ones under required and preferred, but as for the rest, I probably won't do the rest. Except... I have to say, it might be fun to do a weird song for What the Heck zone. Hehe, a really nitemarish song for that would be pretty awesome...

I didn't even know there was a pre-game cutscene! I just loaded the wad and hit start, it never occurred to me to see if there was one!Next time I play it I'll have to check it out. Actually, I'm still playing the game right now :D I've only gotten to Fume Shaft Zone so far.

Yes, it was a GREAT idea to quote THE ENTIRE LIST.

Seriously, you could have not quoted it and we'd get the post. You don't need to REpost something we all gotta scroll though.
Sorry, I still don't know how to put things in the Spoiler tab or whatever, I'm new here.
EDIT: There, fixed that!... I guess.

Last edited:
I can tell you right now, and I think others will probably agree, having really high quality realistic sounding music would sound akward in a lo-fi game like srb2. Take a look at all the other srb2 music. It's not made with incredible samples or stuff, it just sticks to the roots. Just like srb2 plays like the old games, the music should kind of go with that flow, right? I mean, I do have it within my capabilities to do that, but I just think it would be silly.

As for that list of music, I'll definitely do all the ones under required and preferred, but as for the rest, I probably won't do the rest. Except... I have to say, it might be fun to do a weird song for What the Heck zone. Hehe, a really nitemarish song for that would be pretty awesome...

I didn't even know there was a pre-game cutscene! I just loaded the wad and hit start, it never occurred to me to see if there was one!Next time I play it I'll have to check it out. Actually, I'm still playing the game right now :D I've only gotten to Fume Shaft Zone so far.

Paragraph deleted by Fawfulfan for being idiotic.

Also, if you look closely, you will notice that What The Heck Zone is not even on the Optional list. That's no accident; I like it without music.

Last edited:
I actually kind of agree, though, that the songs sound a bit too MIDI-ish right now. I think that ideally, quality should be about equal to those of the default SRB2 songs. Melodically, your songs are definitely on a par with them, but in terms of the instruments they sometimes leave something to be desired.

I can't really make any changes unless you guys start stating some examples. First of all, what song are you referring to, and secondly, what instruments in it?

I'm ASSUMING you guys are talking about the Sunshine Atoll Music, right? At least, that would make sense because I did use Midi Tracks for the Strings and the Steel Drums. But even still, if you compare that to Jade Coast Zone, which was the inspiration, you'll find that it's better quality than that. I do have some ideas of some things I could do to jazz it up though, in regards to the percussion in it.

As for Eruption Conduit Zone... If you say that's too Midi-ish, I don't know what to tell you, because that was made with really powerful Vst Instruments, there's not a bit of Midi in there. Nothing really even similar to Midi, except maybe the drums. But, drums are drums. The most I could do to upgrade that is... Nothing? lol It's hard (by hard, I mean impossible) to find a more 'realistic' square wave. Not to mention, this song is definitely better quality than the average srb2 music, for example, Techno Hill Zone.

Personally, I think this is pretty funny, because I thought I had went too far and beyond Midi-ish, and that I was gonna get complaints about it being out of place. :D

Also, if you look closely, you will notice that What The Heck Zone is not even on the Optional list. That's no accident; I like it without music.
I know that, I just didn't realize that was why you left it off. If you don't want me to make music for it then, that's fine with me. :D One less song to do!

I actually kind of agree, though, that the songs sound a bit too MIDI-ish right now.
To summarize the post above me, do you have a clue what you're talking about? These compositions are all but MIDI-ish, especially in comparison to the SRB2 soundtrack. That said, the music itself is simply too boring and lacks real pronounced melodies.

Okay, maybe that wasn't quite what I intended to say. Whatever I actually meant, it is still a very small complaint...in general I quite like that music, and I definitely want you to keep at it. So please don't get the wrong idea from what I said.

And no, I wasn't referring to ECZ's music; that is in no way MIDI-ish. I guess that I was mostly thinking of SAZ, but even then I retract that statement; now that I listen to it again I recognize that it is indeed high-quality.

By the way, I would recommend that if you have exciting percussive ideas for modifying the SAZ music, save it for the SAZ2 remix. In general, it's probably best to make the Act 2 music slightly more energetic than the Act 1 music.

Can't wait to hear more!

Last edited:
That said, the music itself is simply too boring and lacks real pronounced melodies.

That's some criticism I can work with. Now that you say that, there isn't really a distinct melody at all. I definitely tend to do that a lot, I'll try to remedy that.

*starting Drowned Downtown Act 1*

That's not the introduction topic, please post this comment in the introduction topic.
Ontopic: Won't it be better if there was a boss music for each zone...? Yeah, I know this will make it take a whole longer to make, but it'll be cool. Like, if the pyramid ruins map (Can't remember name ATM) will have a boss music of well... Ruins... And... Eggman boss... -Ish. Maybe kind of like the song for the Dusty Ruins boss used in STH?

Last edited:
Time to complain.
Fawfulfan, I need you to fix that textures in GCZ2. I can't unlock its time attack because that green part after the first sand current. That walls with the DCZsomething texture lag the game, and the game keeps lagging until the end of the level, and doesn't let me end, I die, and I come back to the beginning.
And more: In that stair section where the dark quicksand rises, if you can't reach the stairs and try to survive the quicksand, you'll get stuck and the only way of getting out of there is to die intentionally. I do hate that.

That's not the introduction topic, please post this comment in the introduction topic.
Ontopic: Won't it be better if there was a boss music for each zone...? Yeah, I know this will make it take a whole longer to make, but it'll be cool. Like, if the pyramid ruins map (Can't remember name ATM) will have a boss music of well... Ruins... And... Eggman boss... -Ish. Maybe kind of like the song for the Dusty Ruins boss used in STH?

I thought of that actually, I said something about it a little while back, I might do that... First I need to come up with the generic boss them and make a remix for each zone from there though, and right now I'm working on Gritty Columns Zone Act 2 music.

DOUBLE POST Fawfulfan, I need some advice. I'm trying to make the boss theme for it, but I have no idea what way to go with it. I mean, I could make it in a rock style, like the Sonic Adventure bosses, or I could do it with brass, a lot like the srb2 boss theme, or orchestral, or even techno. What do you prefer it be?

Actually, it was my "suggestion" to make boss songs for each zone, I don't think Fawfulfan supports it that much. Probably since he wants act musics more than bosses...? Never really asked him that.

I'm fine with making a boss tune for each level. And in fact, I think the answer to your question, Charybdizs, is that the kind of music should depend on the battle. It could all be more or less the same tune, but with different instruments each time. For example, it could be techno for Eruption Conduit, rock for Liftoff Gantry, orchestral for Alien Armageddon, brass for Drowned Downtown, etc. That could be pretty cool.

UPDATE: I can now confirm that the new soundtrack won't be the only change in v9.0, but it will probably still be by far the biggest. You can expect some moderately significant changes to GCZ1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back