Tiny 2.1 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
But isn't that what already happens in Egg Rock Zone? How can such a feature be too difficult to implement if it is already functioning to an acceptable standard?

I think he means they were trying to do it in NiGHTs mode, where it doesn't work very well.

Correct. And if you read further, I specifically said that the functionality already exists in current versions of SRB2.
Meaning 2.0.X

Give it a try, if you want.

So, since each zone is gonna have its own themed special stage, does that mean we'll have 7 zones?

Well, you better find a way to tell us how you get from a volcano to a meteorite, because with the zones we already have that makes it 7 :P

So, since each zone is gonna have its own themed special stage, does that mean we'll have 7 zones?
We'll have at least seven zones, which are GFZ, THZ, DSZ, CEZ, ACZ, RVZ and ERZ. DCZ and GEZ might or might not be made, depending on whether somebody in the dev team is willing to make these stages after the other ones are complete. If they do get made, I assume they just won't have any special stage equivalent. Consider them "bonus zones".

Well, you better find a way to tell us how you get from a volcano to a meteorite
Who said that the level roster has any story implications? They're just a bunch of zones that come after each other. Or did anybody ever tell you how you get from a castle to a canyon?

Last edited:
simple, the Castle exited out to a western Canyon. Or the castle exploded and threw you there. In the mean time, I just assumed that the force of the volcano was so strong that it threw you up into space. At least until act 2 gets made.

You don't need to come up with any explanation. There's not supposed to be one. I don't think any dev has seriously thought about the "storyline" (if you can call that shit a story) since it was first made more than a decade ago. It's not important.

If DCZ and GEZ get cut, I'd be pretty dissapointed. I'd rather you guys finish the whole game, and finish those two whenever you feel like doing so. Heck, we could wait 11 more years for all I care.

I can make sense of the story. You start out in greenflower, defeat eggman and come across a factory that produces dangerous chemicals, after you fight eggman on the train car inside the factory theres an explosion that drops you in to the deep sea zone. You get out of the deep sea zone and come across a castle that you get thrown out of onto arid canyon, you fall into the volcano that resides near the canyon and get out, run to a city. you then get to the top of some buildings and fight black eggman, then you come aboard the doomship and that gets flown into eggrock. The end.

The point is that even the developers haven't given it thought. It isn't important, just like it didn't matter how Sonic got from a deep cavern to a polluted ocean in Sonic 2. If you want to make it up, feel free, but just understand that it's so irrelevant that there isn't an official answer.

Well, in Sonic 2, they jumped on Eggman's fleeing ship to get on the Death Egg, in Sonic 3&K they ran through Sky Sanuary Zone and jumped Death Egg as it was rising.
So, although level-to-level transistions are not always present in these games, they have transistions to the space levels.

This being true, I see your point, it's not important to make transtion levels/scenes. Even to space in SRB2, would they be nice? Sure, would it rely matter, no.

Well, the more pressing thing is: Would you rather us spend time creating level transitions like the ones above to justify it, or us generating genuinely new level content? I think everyone would agree that getting new levels completed is far more important than whether or not we have a little cutscene to explain how Sonic got into space.

Nonsense, Mystic! I, for one, would certainly like a narrative on Sonic's bold adventure into space from a volcano. And an explanation of "A massive eruption shot him there" would not fly with me.

Well then, clearly I've got to go make an excessively sarcastic cutscene that consists of "A wizard did it", and make it unskippable and between every zone.

Mystic has a point though. It is a higher priority to get new levels completed than to make cutscenes explaining how Sonic got from one level to another.

I do, however, think that cutscenes should be added, not now, but later on. Maybe when the game is very near completion? It would make the level progression transition more smoothly in my opinion.

As long as they're interesting to watch, and not just walls of text like in Tortured Planet, in game cutscenes would be really nice. With enough creativity, there are some interesting ways to make interesting cutscenes. Not only are there the type that we see in the opening cutscene, there are ones like in Dumbventure. That's not all though. I have a certain type myself, but I'm not going to reveal them quite yet, as they're a trade secret for now. ;)

I agree though, there's not much need for zone flow to make a lot of sense in SRB2. In a game with as little story significance as SRB2 has, it's not a big deal. Though, I have to say it is nice when little things go together, like the end of DSZ1 and the start of DSZ2.

Guys, we can't forget the canon in Carnival Night Zone -> Ice Cap Zone transition! It was such a moment of beauty that I cried. In order to make the game like the classics, we must have cut scenes between each and every level. But wait a minute...Remember the cut scene in Scrap Brain Zone Act 2 -> Act 3, where we could only hopelessly wait for Sonic to fall towards his utter demise, while Robotnik's maniacal laugh was etched into our memories? This is the kind of cinematic wonder we need, in between each and every single act of the game.

*shot*
Although I do have to admit, I loved the Scrap Brain Zone Act 2 -> Act 3 transition as a little kid.

Well then, clearly I've got to go make an excessively sarcastic cutscene that consists of "A wizard did it", and make it unskippable and between every zone.

But it's already been done for you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUw2eAUQrM8&feature=related

On a more serious note, though, I do want to see DCZ and GEZ done, I really like the designs for them and think SRB2 could really use them.
Also, we definitely need a Sonic 2-style end scene. Just cuz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back