• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The Walls of the Void (Map Pack)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the edit button is being all wibbly today, I will post here instead of editing the original post:

Low-quality pictures for Babidi's Ship (75% done):

This next part will show the main idea of the level; find 3 switches that are put in 3 spot around the level, activate all 3 switches to proceed to the next area. There are 3 areas, and after each area is a boss.

Low-quality pictures for Blizzard Island (75% done aswell):
These levels will be a large maze-like level, except much harder. In these pictures there are crawlas, but when finished, there will be pokemon :P. The pokemon that will be in this level will be Pikachu, and Ratatata. In this 'maze level', you cannot simply stay to the right, because sometimes the answer is more "deeper" then that. Basically saying that the maze splits into many paths, and each path goes in different directions. Staying to the right will only send you to the right path, until you end up where you began. Taking the stairs will make you advance to the next area. So, pictures:

Stairs

At the end of every level in the entire map pack, there will be "sonic-like" remixes of the stage, where the gameplay is much faster and has a "sonic-like" feel to it. Here is the "sonic" part of the level:

Low-quality pictures for Veg-o-fortress [Sonic Spinball] (20% done):
The outside before you enter the fortress hidden in the volcano:

When entering the Veg-o-fortress, you are welcomed by the small pin-ball defences. In this small area, everying you touch bounces you back, the floor makes you spin-dash to the springs. Touching the bumpers in the middle will bounce you in a certain direction. My brother (who is also making the final boss music) tried playing this small area, and his record is 2 minutes. Then again, he is bad at the game. So, the pin-ball system:

The inside of the Veg-o-fortress isn't fully finished yet, but here is a small peek at what it will have inside:

EDIT: Also, the story has been MAJORLY updated, and will have an entire story of Sonic and Tails journying through the dimensions, with Tails trying to figure out what these cracks in time are. At the end of the game, the walls of the void will nearly completly break down, making a fusion of all dimensions into one big dimension (explained in the story by Tails and the Doctor), and the last level will include gameplays of different characters that each have their own parts.

Last level distribution of parts:

Part 1: Tails - His gameplay will be him running through the stage collecting the seven chaos emeralds, while also battling off every enemy Sonic has encountered in the entire map pack, and going through mixtures of all the levels from this map pack, using his signature weapon from the game "Tails' Adventure", bombs.

Part 2: Goku - His gameplay (not yet 100% sure, but I have a basic idea of how this might be possible) will have Goku going around the level collecting the 7 Dragon Balls, and will face every enemy from the game that Sonic has faced, and going through mixtures of all the levels from this map pack, using Ki Blasts. Goku will (hopefully, as mentioned earlier I might have an idea how to make this possible) instead of having the Spindash have a "charge ki" ability, that will allow him to fire more Ki Blasts.

Part 3: Sonic - His gameplay will be normal, going through the level fighting everything, and heading towards his goal,
The Death Egg Star, along with the Ring Satellite from SRB1 (explained in story)
with Sonic using Ki Blasts like Goku (explained in the story) and homing attacking enemies (two abilities sonic learns in-game) [The homing attack addition will only be in the PNG edition, regular SRB2, and Wii edition], chasing down an old enemy of Sonic's that will make a reappearence in here, and will aid the last boss during the boss match (Think Diablon from "Shadow the Hedgehog [game]").

Last edited:
Awesome, I can't wait for this to be released! I'd give this a over rating, but its a 0-5 ranking or 0-10. I'd say 5/5, or 10/10. I would've given it a overrating, except the boundaries of numbers. I might even make a "lets play-commentary." Well, when it's out, obviously. Here's my opinion, this would be the BEST MOD EVER in srb2.
Keep up the amazing work!

In my opinion this mod is look absolutely amazing!
Looks stunning and the cutscenes would give this mod something to look forward to.

Keep up the amazing work

In my opinion this mod is look absolutely amazing!
Looks stunning and the cutscenes would give this mod something to look forward to.

Keep up the amazing work

Thanks, and since you mentioned the cutscenes, I will post a mini poll here.

you see, I recently decided to redo the cutscenes due to the other ones being simple effortless tests, but now when starting to remake them, I had an idea about the cutscenes, so, should the cutscenes be:

a) Picture by picture (very little space)

b) Moving pictures by using illusions (varies, but most likely takes up little space [think Sonic 3D Blast])

c) Quick cutscenes (Lots o space [think Sonic Adventure 2])

d) Picture by picture, with mugshots (least space than all other options [think Sonic Rush/Adventure/Advance/Sonic Colors DS/Sonic Generations 3DS])

Interesting. I like how you are thinking on cutscenes while using other game's styles to do it.

The Picture by picture will probably be my favorite. I always liked how pictures in the same background could shhow different animations and emotions. And you redoing the cutscenes, good decision, They would probably be good, but see how you're going to do it now, sounds 10 times better.

Interesting. I like how you are thinking on cutscenes while using other game's styles to do it.

The Picture by picture will probably be my favorite. I always liked how pictures in the same background could shhow different animations and emotions. And you redoing the cutscenes, good decision, They would probably be good, but see how you're going to do it now, sounds 10 times better.

Thats what I thought at first, but then I thought of a much greater story-line that will not only have a great ending, but will also fix some loop-holes in numerous games (ie. Chrono Trigger, couple sonic games, ending of season 5 of Doctor Who), and I thought that this story would be well fit with different types of cutscenes, the problem was, which kind.

To get a better understanding, here are some examples of what I ment by the cutscenes (note, the website to make these gifs cannot replicate the speed of which the cutscenes will be shown in SRB2, and are not actuall sized due to the size limit of the site):

Picture by Picture with mugshots:
4a25b57cb97384c4bcd6052392a8a498.gif

Sonic Adventure 2-like quick cutscenes (Note, this has a slow pause in-between parts of the cutscenes, but this will not be so in the game itself):
c3c2fcfee7f4301a14352756c7973236.gif

Illusion cutscenes (You will be shown the same two pictures, an in-game it creates an illusion of quickly moving forward, here it may not be so due to website limitations once again):
0d497a40e41fbd1784283d4e38f81556.gif

._. They all look good to be implemented into SRB2......

But if you can't add three types, I would have to go with the Sonic Adventure 2 like cutscenes.

I'm now in love with the cutscenes types. You pulled it off pretty well to be honest with you. I would still go with the Picture by Picture, even though the Sonic Adventure 2 looks very appealing.

Why not do a "Sonic adventure 2 like ending" Where you use the illusion one along with the Sonic Adventure 2 cutscene type? I mean, why just limit yourself to one type of cutscenes?

._. They all look good to be implemented into SRB2......

But if you can't add three types, I would have to go with the Sonic Adventure 2 like cutscenes.

Ofc all three types can be in it, but I want one constant type of cutscenes throughout the game. And thanks for your opinion on liking the sa2-like cutscenes. This still is a poll however to determine which cutscenes will be shown. I will be keeping count of the poll. Since Manic prefers the sa2-like cutscenes, that is one tally for sa2 cutscenes.

I'd say the Sonic Adventure 2-like cutscenes seem like something interesting to see in SRB2. But just how quick will they be? By quick do you mean as quick as that gif you posted if it was sped up? If that's the case, I choose picture by picture. If that isn't the case, then I choose the Sonic Adventure 2-like cutscenes.

I'd say the Sonic Adventure 2-like cutscenes seem like something interesting to see in SRB2. But just how quick will they be? By quick do you mean as quick as that gif you posted if it was sped up? If that's the case, I choose picture by picture. If that isn't the case, then I choose the Sonic Adventure 2-like cutscenes.

In-game, the sa2-like cutscenes are pretty good in terms of speed. The website used for that gif can't replicate srb2's speed when on the topic of of switching pictures, so that gif shows a slower example then whats in-game. Same goes for the ones with the mugshots, that website cannot replicate the speed of srb2, and in-game, the mugshot scenes will be slower.

rocky said:
I'm now in love with the cutscenes types. You pulled it off pretty well to be honest with you. I would still go with the Picture by Picture, even though the Sonic Adventure 2 looks very appealing.Why not do a "Sonic adventure 2 like ending" Where you use the illusion one along with the Sonic Adventure 2 cutscene type? I mean, why just limit yourself to one type of cutscenes?

Do you mean picture by picture or picture by picture using mugshots? And I had a similar idea about having the final 2 cutscenes sa2-like like most sonic games always have that 1 epic cutscene. Thats actually why I used super sonic in the sa2 cutscene example :p.

also to answer your question, I want to keep all the cutscenes one type (excluding maybe the last 2 cutscenes) to keep a certain style in the map pack, I mean, the entire map pack itself is pure chaos with all these different gameplays. Although I do have to say, the ending of this pack will be amazing in both story and gameplay for those who like Sonic titles, Dragon Ball Z titles, the Chrono Trigger franchise, Star Wars, and pretty much everything mentioned in this pack.

I meant picture by picture using mughsots. And I can agree with your idea of keeping only 1 type of cutscene. Also I can't wait for that ending btw. You got me all curious about it.

In-game, the sa2-like cutscenes are pretty good in terms of speed. The website used for that gif can't replicate srb2's speed when on the topic of of switching pictures, so that gif shows a slower example then whats in-game. Same goes for the ones with the mugshots, that website cannot replicate the speed of srb2, and in-game, the mugshot scenes will be slower.

I think I worded that wrong. What I meant is, will the cutscenes be literally a second long like that gif would be if it was sped up?

I think I worded that wrong. What I meant is, will the cutscenes be literally a second long like that gif would be if it was sped up?

Oh you mean how long the actual cutscene will be? Well really it depends on which cutscene is being discussed, for example in the beginning there will be some decently long cutscenes to introduce the player to the story, then later there will be short cutscenes with a small discussion between sonic, tails, and in some cutscenes, goku, the doctor, and other people that sonic and tails meet. So in the beginning, their long, in the middle they are short, and at the end they will be long to rap up the story.

Oh you mean how long the actual cutscene will be? Well really it depends on which cutscene is being discussed, for example in the beginning there will be some decently long cutscenes to introduce the player to the story, then later there will be short cutscenes with a small discussion between sonic, tails, and in some cutscenes, goku, the doctor, and other people that sonic and tails meet. So in the beginning, their long, in the middle they are short, and at the end they will be long to rap up the story.

Ah, I see. I think I'll stick with the Sonic Adventure 2-like cutscenes in that case.

Actually, spending some thought about it I will cancel the poll and use the mugshot cutscenes. There will be 2 or more SA2-like cutscenes however at some points in the story, for usage of the 'epic cutscenes' that all sonic games have. Seriously, sonic games always have that one or two amazingly awesome cutscenes, but then the rest is average. But the reason why I am using the mugshots is because of these reasons:

1.) Uses little space
2.) Takes less time to make
3.) Gets information across simply and entertainingly
4.) a tribute to the recent sonic games that use mugshots

This will only come in the md2 download section of this map pack, but as I was testing the Super Saiyan Goku md2 in the Dragon Ball Z maps, this looked so funny I had to put it up (Yes, it says Sonic on the bottom, but only because Sonic is the skin that is being used to test the md2 model):

*Note, nevermind the huge rings in the background, they were a md2 model test, which have passed in the graphical section of the test, but nowhere near the proportional section in terms of size compared to characters*

On a more related to the map pack note, here are some low-quality pictures that I forgot to post on one of the Star Wars levels:

High-quality versions of the same Star Wars level:

EDIT: Oh, and a cool mini-poster for this mod is my new avatar :P. That is how Sonic will look in the cutscenes, and how his md2 looks like if the md2 pack is downloaded. The top-right side shows the mod's logo, with the big words "SONIC: The Walls of the VOID", having the crack in space and time cut through it (the crack is what Sonic and Tails go through to get to different dimensions). And lastly, the big round symbol in the middle behind Sonic and the logo. That big symbol is actually a sentence in the language of ancient Gallifreyan which read (go figure) "The Walls of the Void".

Last edited:
Wow. Now i can't wait to play your pack, it will be a all new experience in SRB2. I really like the idea of cutscenes and Goku's MD2 is awesome it remind me Goku in Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi. Keep up the good work.

If you look closely to the X-Wing's screenshots, you can see Sonic's hands X)
But anyways, if there are md2 models, that means that we will launch the game in OGL.
And to be serious, OGL has a much of lag in netgames for my Laptop. SRB2 Riders in EggFactory is a perfect exemple. Hope you'll find a way to avoid these lags.

If you look closely to the X-Wing's screenshots, you can see Sonic's hands X)
But anyways, if there are md2 models, that means that we will launch the game in OGL.
And to be serious, OGL has a much of lag in netgames for my Laptop. SRB2 Riders in EggFactory is a perfect exemple. Hope you'll find a way to avoid these lags.

Well, there will be many versions of this map pack release:

Srb2cb (png edition)
srb2cb
srb2 original
srb2 wii

Each version will have pretty much the same things, but tweaked to best fit it's version.

EDIT: forgot to say, Sonic's hands sticking out are like so for two reasons:

1.) It helps the player see better and get better aim with ki blasts

2.) In the story, Sonic joins rogue squadron to go and retrieve information from a crashed ship who holds information on the location of the Death Egg Star Forge and the location of the Ring Satellite, unfortunately before Sonic departs, they are attacked by a squadron of tie-fighters and one of the ties shot Sonic's x-wing. The others offered to fix the x-wing, but Sonic was determined to follow the frequency of the tie-fighter's last transmission hopping to lead him to the Death Egg Star Forge, and made a reference to riding the tornado and how he can fight using Ki blasts.

Wow. Now i can't wait to play your pack, it will be a all new experience in SRB2. I really like the idea of cutscenes and Goku's MD2 is awesome it remind me Goku in Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi. Keep up the good work.

I prefer Budokai Tenkaichi 3 :o. And you are completely right about the new experience part, since each 'zone' will replicate a different gameplay from a different game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back