The necessary DSi topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

No, it's not a rumor. Nor a hoax.

Now, I think this is interesting. Very interesting. The only drawback is the lack of a GBA slot. Which is a pretty bad drawback. But I'm seriously considering getting this. Especially given that my DS is in total disrepair. Thoughts?

I can see why you would want to get it, hell I want one, but Im fine with a DS lite

My grandmother's phone has a better camera than that... :/

To increase the ratio of Internet-connected Wiis in Japan, Nintendo revealed it's making available a three-minute demo movie with the machine, called "What's Possible With Wii." A specific Wi-Fi adapter will be sold -- we presume a Nintendo-made device.

What?

I sure hope they mean it's an adapter for your PC to connect your Wii if you don't have a wireless router, and not an 'extended range' piece of plastic you attach to your console.

If it has a relatively sensible price, I'll pick this up. I'd still buy a Pandora, however.

And just before people assume this is in the DSi, it won't be: The DSi does not have a dual touchscreen. It has a single touchscreen like all of the other ones. It is just a translation error that a website did.

Of course it has to have one touchscreen. If not, it would make developers of previous games and games currently in process go bonkers. Of course, it's not like Nintendo didn't do that with MotionPlus.

Chisuun said:
If it has a relatively sensible price, I'll pick this up. I'd still buy a Pandora, however.

Eh. I already own a fat DS. Still works great. The Pandora and DS are in two totally different ballparks. The Pandora is an UMPC with gaming controls essentially plus the fact that you can hack the device to whatever you please. I'll still enjoy having a lot of power in a small device and the Pandora will fit my needs nicely. Of course the Pandora is expensive, but it is for a good reason. The parts do cost a lot.

Sonict said:
Eh. I already own a fat DS. Still works great. The Pandora and DS are in two totally different ballparks. The Pandora is an UMPC with gaming controls essentially plus the fact that you can hack the device to whatever you please. I'll still enjoy having a lot of power in a small device and the Pandora will fit my needs nicely. Of course the Pandora is expensive, but it is for a good reason. The parts do cost a lot.

I would LOVE a Pandora, especially since the possibility of playing SRB2 as you would on a computer on the go without the bulk of a laptop sounds awesome. Funny how most topics that are about handheld gaming eventually go offtopic to the Pandora.

Eh. You brought it up. Of course, there are people who don't see the appeal with it which is fine. The Pandora is not for everyone.

Anyways, long story short on the DSi: It is good that they are adding media related stuff plus a web browser, but it isn't good enough for me to get one unless my current DS breaks.

I knew it was a good idea to skip getting the DSLite! :D I am so getting one when there's a bunch of used ones laying around cheap. :P I like the fact their adding a camera and removing the usually unused GBA slot, all I really hope is will my R4 card work with it? I can't stand using a DS without Homebrew DS apps and emulators, it's almost like having a pocket-sized laptop. That's one reason why I've held off getting a laptop, because I don't need one to do much. :P

The DSi may be a possible buy from me. My current DS (Phat) is in a pretty bad state; battery life is about 5 hours with backlight, top screen has a bitemark on it (?!), touch screen is scratched to hell and not particularly sensitive, some games don't work at all (Despite working in other DSes), and the games that do work tend to freeze randomly, albeit not often (Eg, Bleach DS freezing on the menu, Pokemon Diamond freezing at the end of the 6th Gym leader - 3 times in a row). Also has an annoying problem where it doesn't always read the cart.

All this said, it's quite playable, though freezing up is my biggest gripe.

I might get a DSi as a replacement. Depends on whether the battery life is lengthened (However, even the highest brightness setting is better than my phat), and if the GBA port is there (Come on, Ninty! Think properly!).

The GBA port really IS a big issue, though. What if poeple want to transfer Pokemon from the GBA generation games? What about Guitar Hero DS? That uses the GBA port to function. Not to mention people who use the DS to play GBA games. I do NOT want to use my GBA SP to play the GBA games, honestly; the screen isn't anywhere near as good at the backlight is just disgusting.

GBA port, yes, buy.

No GBA port, no, insult.

I actually got myself a new DSlite about a month ago; my other lite has its top screen broken.

DSi sounds cool. More than likely, it will probably be quite a while from its release date to the time I get one. As in a few years.

Silent_Snipe said:
So they added a camera to a ds lite hoping people would pay more for it >_>

I can hardly call .3 megapixels a camera, to be honest.

Also how many people would want to use the camera or how many game companies would want to use it, i would say none or very little.

As far as the lack of the GBA port goes, remember that no one said you actually need to get rid of your DS Phat or Lite, if you still need to get Pokemon from R/S/E/FR/FG to Diamond/Pearl/soon Platinum. And BTW, sometime when the Lite was released, the GBA SP2 was also released, which is pretty much the same thing has the normal SP, but with the clear, vivid screen of the DSL.

So Nintendo wants to make the DS more like the PSP. Seems like a good idea at first. But then they pull another Sony and ditch backward compatibility by removing slot 2. Nintendo, you're going about this completely the wrong way. Taking low resolution pictures and stretching them is going to lose its appeal about as fast as drawing wangs in pictochat did at the original DS's launch, whereas having a unified device for playing DS and GBA games is priceless.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
The GBASP doesn't have a backlight; it has a frontlight.
Where have you been? The GBA SP has been backlit since late 2005, around the same time the Micro was released and ignored by everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back