Wiktionary - the free dictionary said:
Pronunciation

* IPA: /laɪf/, SAMPA: /laIf/
* Rhymes: -aɪf

Etymology

Old English līf

Noun

life (plural lives)

1. The state that precedes death and follows birth or conception.
2. In biology, a status given to an entity including animals, plants, fungi, bacteria and sometimes viruses, etc, with the properties of replication and metabolism.
3. In philosophy, the essence of the manifestation and the foundation of the being.
4. In phenomenology, the subjective and inner manifestation of the individual.
5. In Christianity, the essence of God, its own revelation.
6. A worthwhile existence.

He gets up early in the morning, works all day long, and even on weekends, hardly sees his family. That's no life!

7. The world in general, existence. (in life you should remember...)
8. Something which is inheritantly part of a person's existence, such as their job, their family, their loved one, etc.
9. (colloquial) A sentence imprisoning a convict until his or her death. More formally phrased life sentence.
10. The duration during which something operates

this light bulb has a long life

Antonyms

* (the state that precedes death): death
* (in biology): coma
* (in philosophy): void

Synonyms

* (in philosophy): existence, experience
* (the world in general): time

Example usage

* (in philosophy): 1994: “Most things in life, including life itself, seemed to have articulated sections, discrete and separate and straightforward.” -Violet Quill, Robert Ferro

Hey!!!I didn't knowed Mystic is a member of wikipedia! :lol:

metalsonic5555 said:
I Love how the Muslims fight for their religion and are willing to die for it.

So you like how they blow peeps like us up just because of something as minor as religion? I mean really, what's it proving?

And the last two post are incorrect spam.

I live for myself, as of right now until I am older, live and let die.

And getting money. And games, and many other things I want to list here but can't.

In Maou-Shin Daioka's post the goal was to expose Christianity as nothing more than a myth.
The quotes are taken from http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/atheism/106446

Maou-Shin Daioka posted an article by Francois Tremblay, which stated that:
-------------------------------------------------------
PROBLEM #1:
"The most striking feature of Jesus' life is the incredible scope of the miracles he is said to have participated in.(...)One problem of these claims is that they are far from original"

Claims not being original is in no way related to the claim that Christianity is untrue. I go to school, so do millions of other kids, does that make my claim of going to school untrue? No.
PROBLEM #2
"But the clinching evidence is that even Christian leaders considered Jesus purely as a mythical figure and did not know anything about his life"

It is true that many leaders know nothing about Christianity and do not believe in the existence of Jesus Christ. I see TV commercials all the time of 'pastors' selling Jesus' Miracle Water that will answer all wishes.
The idea that those leaders were probably not real Christians was never taken into account in Francois Tremblay's article. I have seen many people in my school who consider themselves Christian. As a matter of fact, my AP Biology teacher said she is a Christian who does not believe in God. What both she and Tremblay do not understand is that if a person does not believe in Jesus and his existence, then that person IS NOT A CHRISTIAN. There are many fake pastors and Christian leaders who only pretend to be what they claim they are. Belief that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and was resurrected again three days later and ascended into heaven is NECESSARY for a person to call him/herself a Christian. Those so called leading 'Christians' are most certainly not Christians at all.
PROBLEM #3
"We may add that Paul himself didn't know about the virgin birth. In Romans 1:1-3, he claims that Jesus was the son of Joseph, who was established as a descendant of David."

Paul obviously did not mean that Jesus was Joseph's biological son. If someone adopts a child, is not that child still considered the son of the parents who adopted the child? If a wife with children divorces her husband and remarries, are not those children considered sons or daughters of the new husband? The fact that Paul called Jesus the son of Joseph cannot be used as an argument against Paul's knowledge that Jesus is the Son of God.
PROBLEM #4
"Here is a short list of writers and historians who lived within the same century as the Jesus myth. Remember that of all these, only one (Josephus) is said to have written anything about it, and it is decried by most scholars as an interpolation :

Caius Suetonius, Josephus, Philo-Judæus, Seneca, Pliny Elder, Arrian, Petronius, Dion Pruseus, Paterculus, Juvenal, Martial, Persius, Plutarch, Pliny Younger, Tacitus, Justus of Tiberius, Apollonius, Quintilian, Lucanus, Epictetus, Hermogones, Silius Italicus, Statius, Ptolemy, Appian, Phlegon, Phædrus, Valerius Maximus, Lucian, Pausanias, Florus Lucius, Quintius Curtius, Aulus Gellius, Dio Chrysostom, Columella Valerius Flaccus, Damis, Favorinus, Lysias, Pomponius Mela, Appion of Alexandria, Theon of Smyrna, Justus of Tiberias (Most of this information I find sketchy, but until I find any other evidence otherwise, I'm sticking with this.)"

NOTICE THAT EVEN TREMBLAY HIMSELF IS UNCERTAIN OF THE INFORMATION HE PRESENTED, AS SHOWN IN THE LAST 2 LINES OF THE QUOTE.
PROBLEM #5
"But the clinching evidence is that even Christian leaders considered Jesus purely as a mythical figure and did not know anything about his life.

'In the first half century of Christian correspondence, including letters attributed to Paul and other epistles under names like Peter, James and John, the Gospel story cannot be found. When these writers speak of their divine Christ, echoes of Jesus of Nazareth are virtually inaudible, including details of a life and ministry, the circumstances of his death, the attribution of any teachings to him. God himself is often identified as the source of Christian ethics. No one speaks of miracles performed by Jesus, his apocalyptic predictions, his views on any of the great issues of the time. The very fact that he preached in person is never mentioned, his appointment of apostles or his directive to carry the message to the nations of the world is never appealed to. No one looks back to Jesus' life and ministry as the genesis of the Christian movement, or as the pivot point of salvation history.'

We may add that Paul himself didn't know about the virgin birth.(...)"

This quote that Tremblay had within my quote of what he stated was not cited in the article, causing it to lose any credibility. In fact, the quote that Tremblay used, could have been said by himself, the information in the quote not even having to be authentic (and as a matter of fact, the quote IS completely incorrect). Expanding on that, none of the 'information' presented in Tremblay's article was cited, except for Dan Barker's Easter Challenge. All of the information in Tremblay's article has no authority because of lack of citation. The information needs to be cited so that it is possible to check the credibility of the sources that he used in his article.
PROBLEM #6
"Considering all these facts, the truth is clear: there never was a Jesus who did these miracles and was resurrected"

With all the problems of Tremblay's article that I presented, the statement that Tremblay makes in the above quote is obviously very clouded. Also...the "Considering all these facts" part is hilarious, considering that Tremblay has barely had any facts at all in his argumentative essay.
PROBLEM #7
"without the Bible, we have no definition of who Jesus was. The Bible is our only source to analyze the existence or non-existence of Jesus"

The assertion made is completely false. Other historical documents have history of Jesus Christ. In fact, even the Qu'ran, Islam's holy book, contains information about the life of Jesus, and Muslim's do not even believe that Jesus was the Son of God.
PROBLEM #8
ALWAYS CHECK THE CREDIBILITY OF THE SOURCES YOU USE, THE AUTHORITY BEHIND THE EVIDENCE YOU WANT TO PROVIDE.
Alright, so we have this giant article with tons and tons of support from this 'super smart' credible Mr. Francois Tremblay, but who is he? A well known historian? A professor who has had years of research and knowledge about the subjects he writes about? Where did his article come from?

This is Francois Tremblay:
http://www.objectivethought.com/WhoAmI.html

Just a normal person like you and me, whose article came from an online website where anyone can post anything, true or not, educated or uneducated.
This is the website that he writes articles for: (This comes straight from the website)
"Suite101 is becoming the Web's leading online magazine for independent commentary, opinion, and advice. We are committed to attracting excellent freelance writers"

While you wasted a perfectly good chance to prove to have an I.Q greater than 12, I am glad that this topic is back, as it is an interesting topic.

The meaning of life? Who said life had one? I wouldn't want to limit myself in such a way.

No matter how hard you try to succeed in life, nobody gets out alive.

But, that dosent mean there isnt a meaning.

Sumakima said:
The meaning of life... Well, HMM. I would say it has MANY reasons, it just varies from person to person

Win. I'd say that's the best theory whereas the meaning of life differs from person to person.

If that isn't it, it's probably 42, or that there's just no meaning and we should give up now while we have some time. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back