The E3 2010 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
500x_kinectdash2.jpg

DUN DUN DUN....

wii-779194.gif

I don't see anything similar. :p

http://gizmodo.com/5567221/how-sony-lost-the-videogame-hardware-race?skyline=true&s=i
tl;dr Sony loses

Last edited:
"Now, Nintendo, the same company whose most cutting edge home console is stuffed with 10-year-old guts, is beating Sony on hardware with the 3DS, which has horsepower comparable to a Wii. And it's 3D!"

Well, gee, maybe that's because it's their next generation of hardware. That's like talking about how much better the Game Boy Advance is to the SEGA Game Gear.

I think the one thing that the writer wanted to point out is....
PSP2 wasn't announced.

So we're not sure if it'll be out by the time 3DS out. I do agree with your statement though.

Well, the Wii was released at a similar time. It also had motion control which was pretty new to gamers.

Oh, 599 PS3 didn't help either.

My list.

1. Halo: Reach
2. Zelda: Skyward Sword
3. Portal 2
4. Star Fox 3D
5. Kid Icarus 3D

Most of all, I've been amazed with Halo: Reach. I participated in the beta in May to see if it was gonna be worth it. One word: epic. The new matchmaking system doesn't take 20 double EXP weekends to get to a new rank, no more random veto maps, and of course, new, more epic weapons. Firefight won't be as annoying to play with friends in as ODST,(matchmaking in firefight, yayz) and campaign, well I have nothing to say.

Now, with Portal 2, it's additions are great, new puzzles and all, but not much has changed other then the new gels,tractor beam, and the new box. Halo: Reach has just about EVERYTHING changed.

Skyward Sword looks like a Twilight Princess copy. Bound to be different but we'll see some other time.

Skyward Sword looks like a Twilight Princess copy. Bound to be different but we'll see some other time.

Mind explaining the logic behind that first statement? From what I can see they're already pretty different.

• Art:
    • Twilight Princess features a realistic tone
    • Skyward Sword is more impressionistic
  • Combat:
    • Twilight Princess combat is about timing
    • Skyward Sword is focused toward directional attacks
  • Setting:
    • Twilight Princess's story takes place long after Ocarina of Time with Link in some ranch village
    • Skyward Sword's story takes place long before Ocarina of Time with Link in some kingdom in the sky
  • Navi:
    • Twilight Princess's helper is a shadow creature who helps Link to save the twilit realm
    • Skyward Sword's helper is his sword, who will eventually become the master sword, her motivation is unknown
  • Transition:
    • Twilight Princess's alternate world is the twilit realm where Link must become a wolf and attack strange shadow creatures
    • Skyward Sword's alternate world is the kingdom in the sky
  • Formula:
    • Twilight Princess focuses on a story that follows the quest-dungeon-boss
    • Skyward Sword includes dungeons without bosses and bosses without dungeons and is reportedly intending to break this formula
  • Controls:
    • Twilight Princess was a game made for the Gamecube, with motion controls tacked on
    • Skyward Sword has been designed for the motion plus since Wii Sports Resort became a success.
  • Music:
    • Twilight Princess only used the orchestra for the title sequence
    • Skyward Sword is reportedly going to use much more of it thanks to their experience with SMG2
They are going to be similar with counterparts to one another in that they are both Zelda games, but otherwise they appear to be different on all accounts.

I know there are a lot of differences, but I think a lot of people are just getting tired of holding a sword and beating dungeons for 20 games.

Just my 2 cents, don't count me on this while I hide...

I know there are a lot of differences, but I think a lot of people are just getting tired of holding a sword and beating dungeons for 20 games.

Or spinning in a ball and running through zones? Or shooting at enemies with guns? Or shoving blocks into certain ways to get rid of them? I could go on.

Or spinning in a ball and running through zones? Or shooting at enemies with guns? Or shoving blocks into certain ways to get rid of them? I could go on.

Yes you could.

And that is when a marvelous idea comes into play: innovation. Is your audience tired of your product because there is a sneaking suspicion that they've done this before? Then it is time to throw around fresh new ideas that your audience desires. Experiment with the gameplay mechanics or use your hero and possibly enemies abilities to the best ability. Open up new worlds by changing your surroundings perhaps! Afterall Play Style Matters!

And this what is needed for a game to stay fresh and exciting. Espeically if it is in a series of games.

And this is one ofe of the main reasons why Warren Spector is a beacon of light in the gaming industry.

And that is when a marvelous idea comes into play: innovation. Is your audience tired of your product because there is a sneaking suspicion that they've done this before? Then it is time to throw around fresh new ideas that your audience desires. Experiment with the gameplay mechanics or use your hero and possibly enemies abilities to the best ability. Open up new worlds by changing your surroundings perhaps! Afterall Play Style Matters!

And this what is needed for a game to stay fresh and exciting. Espeically if it is in a series of games.
Why do you say this about tons of games, EXCEPT for new Sonic games? This makes no sense at all!

What are you talking about?
1.He could care less about Sonic
2.Sonic does something new EVERY time. Even when its terrible.

Sonic does something new everytime? Look at Sonic The Hedgehog 4...nothing's new(except for the stages and the engine, but I don't think those count).

Why do you say this about tons of games, EXCEPT for new Sonic games? This makes no sense at all!

Because every time SEGA tries innovation it always NEVER fits the damn genre or gameplay of a Sonic game. Werehog anyone? Mine cart?

I think I rest my case.

However, other franchises have utilized innovation to ENHANCE what was working for the franchise rather than doing something completely different that doesn't fit with the theme of the franchise in any way WHATSOEVER.

Now can we please let this settle down peacefully. Damn, you act like I owe SEGA something for standing up for myself as a gamer who has an eye for an actual Sonic game. Please. Let's not try to cross pollinate the threads with Sonic as a central theme when it wasn't even about him in the first place.

I was hoping for some more information regarding okamiden this E3, and I hadn't seen very much. Now I don't keep up with gaming websites the way I used to, partially because sometimes the media can be worse than the fans and I'm rather tired of that getting in the way... but it seems all we've got is a new trailer.

Can't think of any other games I was hoping for that didn't get much attention. Vitality sensor never showed up, but judging from the media, that's because it wasn't going to be appropriate for a game convention.
Now that they've saved their hide by not boring a bunch of fanatics with it, I'd still like to know more about it. I wonder when they DO plan on releasing information of it and to whom.

Last edited:
Hooray! De Blob Underground is coming! I don't imagine that there's a huge following for the game, but eh, who cares. The first Blob was an absolute delight and the innovations planned for the second game (new architectural style, new "Blanc" enemies, new mission types, and, eh, even 2D mode) seem great so far.

De Blob DS honestly looks kinda underwhelming thus far.

3DS or 3D$?

I didn't check this thread since I posted my first reply, so I'm a bit late, but I'll explain my opinion about the 3DS (and 3D in general):

IT'S USELESS.

Why'd you guys use a 3D technology (that many times doesn't work very fine) when holograms are almost there?

And Nintendo goes fast. It's bussiness. Every new console they make is another user they get.
2004 - DS <New - Excuse to buy: portable handheld console>

2006 - DS Lite <Excuse to update: lighter and smaller>

2006 - Wii <New - Excuse to buy: it's "perfect" remote and it's "cheap" price - Excuse to NOT buy: it's just an overclocked GameCube with a WiiMote - Profile: anyone who wants to injure>

2008 - DSi <Excuse to update: camera and software download - User profile that will upgrade: photography addict>

2009 (nearly 2010) - DSi XL <Excuse to update: bigger screen - User profile that will upgrade: myopic>

2011 - 3DS <Excuse: 3D - User profile: Nobody>

Just like SEGA.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Hooray! De Blob Underground is coming! I don't imagine that there's a huge following for the game, but eh, who cares. The first Blob was an absolute delight and the innovations planned for the second game (new architectural style, new "Blanc" enemies, new mission types, and, eh, even 2D mode) seem great so far.

De Blob DS honestly looks kinda underwhelming thus far.

Did you notice that the PC edition it's available since years and free?

First off, I believe you're ignoring the fact that there have been several games taking special advantage of the Wii. Most of these come from Nintendo, but "de Blob" is an excellent example of a third-party game which makes proper use of the controls. (the computer version was an engine test, if I remember correctly... sorta like the free version of World of Goo)

As for the 3DS, I think you're underestimating the possibilities of 3D. One of the things that has always made 3d platformers difficult is how to translate depth. Even in SRB2, it takes a lot of practice to be able to judge distance and jump accordingly. In the 3DS, they have the advantage of using the 3d technology to render depth and make it that much more intuitive.

Really, the only problem I see with it is there's going to be a bunch of third parties that try to cash in on cheap pop-out games which feel like 3d graphics from the 90s.

Yeah, 3D is great, but just if you use it properly. I saw a 3D film some months ago and... it seemed like a 2D film. Just sometimes you see a house floating 0.5 mm on the screen, but no more.

Anyway, we'll see if the big N does a great work or not with 3DS.

This time the revolution in E3 was big for Microsoft and Nintendo, but not for Sony. And that is because Sony just copied ideas.

Microsoft presented Kinect. It's a revolution, it's the first game console to have no controllers. And Xbox 720 is nera

Nintendo presented 3 DSs (in plural, because in two years presented DSi, DSi XL and 3DS). The last one? The first portable 3D console without glasses.

And Sony? Playstation Move (aka clonation of WiiMote), that isn't an absolutely new thing.

I think that since the 29/02/10 error in PS3, Sony is losing market. At least with PS3. No innovation, no news.

JEV3: About De Blob... yes, the indie PC version isn't the best of the best. Sometimes, if you are at maximum size when you are in the station ramp, the character keeps in and you have to restart the game and lose the game because you can't move. It's a buggy game, and nearly everything it's in german, while in Softonic says it is in English. But the installer and menus in English is not English, it's Germanglish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back