Stuff to put in 1.09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason the Echidna said:
Okey then. Well, if you don't like "random people", why do you stay here? And by the way, the current password system crashes netgames... *doorbell* Oh, brb... *goes*
*comes back 20 minutes later* Jehovah's witnesses. Good people... A little mislead, but good no less... :roll:

For the simple fact that the place hasn't gotten popular enough yet to have those kind of idiots yet. I assume most people here have played enough online games to have some dumbass join a game and attempt to ruin it for everyone, right? You don't get that until the game becomes popular, for obvious reasons.

omg, i had that in srb2 once. This guy called himself THE MAN came here and said

Him: hi
Me:hi :)
Him: hold on a sec
Me:ok

*comes back with homing auto rings shoots like crasy, crashes srb2.*

it didnt work so i had to download it again... :?

Yeah... ... ... Here's a simple thing you can do to not crash: Don't die. :roll:
It doesn't crash SPMoves of course, but SPMoves has it's own massive set of problems causing worse things to happen such as the immortal freeze. Most people have to restart their computer because they can't call up task manager and kill it blindly.

For the password situation, I look at it like this:

Every single online multiplayer game has the ability to password a hosted game (except for MMO games). If a game lets you create a "room" for you and your friends, it also lets you password this room.

Phantasy Star Online. Quake 3 Arena. Shot Online. Half-Life. Even other Doom ports - ZDaemon, for example.

They all let you password hosted games. Leaving out a standardized feature of online gaming just because you're worried about being "Too Mean" or whatever is simply anal.

You're not looking at the big picture, A441. The reason SRB2 doesn't need the password feature now is because there are maybe half a dozen dedicated SRB2 players right now. It's a very "Everybody knows everybody atmosphere", so, you know, you wouldn't block those people out, would you?

But what if that number grows? What if it becomes three dozen? That's 36 players. Or maybe 50. 100? 200? Imagine having 500 players. That might sound like a lot, but in reality, that's small potatoes compared to what the retail games pull (Counterstrike pulls over 30,000+ players daily). And yet, even with 500 players, a Password Feature would be needed for that many. Hell, for three dozen players, a password feature would undoubtedly be needed.

A password feature would be a sinch to add, I'd guess. The host sets the password, and then, before completing a connection to the host, it checks the host's password with the client's password. If they do not match, the client disconnects. ("Invalid Password") It'd be a cvar just like maxplayers. You could even build a failsafe, if you wanted, for people with hacked EXEs (that disable the password check): When a player joins, not only does it compare passwords clientside, but it also compares them serverside as well. If a player joins despite not having the correct password, the server auto-kicks.

That doesn't sound hard to me at all.

Where in the world did that background come from? Does OpenGL enhance the backgrounds, too?

Yeah, like they said, that's SASRB2.

http://fanmade.emulationzone.org/blazefire/index.php?content=game-sasrb2

I doubt I'll ever finish it, though. The boss screenshot there for the enhanced graphics patch is sort of an in-joke with Sonic Adventure 2: You're running around City Escape in full daylight, but then suddenly at the end of the stage when you face the boss, it randomly becomes night time.

Why will 1.09 suddenly bring in 500 regular players again?

I have no problem with SRB2 lacking the features of a tournament game. It was never intended to be one.

You're being incredibly silly by ignoring the fact that you can just set "Advertise to Internet" to "No."

a441 said:
Why will 1.09 suddenly bring in 500 regular players again?

I have no problem with SRB2 lacking the features of a tournament game. It was never intended to be one.

You're being incredibly silly by ignoring the fact that you can just set "Advertise to Internet" to "No."

Boy, you're going to go real far in life with that sort of attitude.

"Sir, this is a standardized proceedure we must follow! It creates ease of use for our customers, and is practically a requirement for the type of business we deal in!"

"Eh, we suck anyway, so let's just suck harder. Not like enough people do business with us anyway!"

Even if SRB2 was never meant to be a tournament-style game, it has that game mode, therefore, it is expected to have all the standard features that game type requires. (Even so, PSO isn't tournament based, and it lets you password)

Did it ever occur to you that maybe more people would take SRB2 seriously if it had a feature like this, or other standard features? One of them is the upcoming centralized server you guys seem to be talking about here, and the other would be the password.

So you can choose to not list the server publically - okay, that's great, but that doesn't help as much as it could. This is all about being user friendly, right? So let's say, with the centralized server, SRB2's online aspect really starts to gain steam - and I want to start a SRB2 Deathmatch clan.

I make a website for my clan, and I gain users. I post the IP address up on the site itself - but choose not to list it publically. This is so that only clan members - will know of the server and join. But oops - one day while I'm out, some loser joins my server (which I leave up all day every day) and starts mouthing off to my users, and generally, he's just being a pain in the ass. Now, I'm not there to kick him. I get home and I'm alerted to this problem.

Well, hm. Now what do I do? I might be tech-savvy enough to know how to click the "START SERVER" button, but changing ports? And even if I do change the ports for my server, the lamer can just check the site and come back; and there's no way I can be there all the time.

In an alternate situation, let's say I can't leave the server up all the time, but I leave it up whenever I can. How are my users supposed to know when my server is up if I can't list it publically for fear some idiot's gonna come in and start screwing things up? Especially if I have a variable IP address?

The answer to all of these is a password feature.

I don't want to add more tournament game features because it drags SRB2 further away from its focus. Not because SRB2 sucks.

In your hypothetical situation, you can use remote admin to let someone who's available more often keep the game in order. If no one is there who can fix problems, the password could get out as easily as the IP address, with similar results.

It will also be possible to load a particular wad file and disable downloads, so only people who have the wad file already will be able to join. This would be like a virtual password, and has the same weakness, but could be useful for private tests of a level, for instance.

But a441, all of those solutions are workarounds to the simplistic and easy "password" feature. That way everyone avoids beating around the bush and instead just gives everyone in the private game a password.

Of course, reading the intercourse between you and Blaze just sorta said to me you're in one of your retarded modes about this one, so I'm not even going to try and convince you. Instead, I'll simply glare at you and attempt to point out how far up your ass your text is at this point.

Also, seriously, this has a lot to do with the original "vision" of SRB2, however little that word really means. Sonikku's vision of SRB2 included multiplayer. Online games need a password feature for simple security. It makes NO sense to say that because the match support is an offshoot of the game to deny the Coop and Race modes simple password protection.

hmm...

1) Maybe a post-capturing mode like in Star Wars Battlefront? I don't think it would be very hard to base the coding off of "capture the flag"

2) Vehicles for Match mode (even though they would kick some serious arse)? Now that would be hard to program, AND draw.

3) Smilies in chatbox for multiplayer would be sorta nice

4) Halo 2 Match mode? You could possibly use the "shields" thing to replace rings, here's a sample:

You have 100% Shields, or 100 rings, and as you get hit by different weapons (like the bomb, rapid and homing rings) you recieve different amounts of damage to your shield, or you lose rings. When you reach 0% shields, or 0 rings, your vulnerable, and when damaged, you die. After about 10 seconds of having damaged shields, they recharge, or you gain rings, back to 100% capacity.

This would be a mission to do if you were to do this SSNTails, plus you'd have to find a way to make it remove all rings in the maps while in this mode.

5) RPG system: Like after beating an OFFICIAL level, or destroying an enemy, you gain a certain amount of rings to spend in the shop. There, you can buy maps, unlockables and characters. I bet JTE wouldn't mind if you used his Eggman and Jason wads. Plus you could input the original characters (like Chao and Megaman) from the first demos. Then you could make a Samus wad to buy in the shop (just make it REALLY expensive).

6) Adventure mode built in, just required in the shop if you use the shop thing.

7) MMORPG Mode: For multiplayer, though it would be difficult to do. An inventory, weapons system and spell system.

8 ) All emeralds required boss: Maybe a special level that only is availible after getting ALL of the emeralds.

9) Player registering system: By using the MySQL database used for this forum, you could possibly make it communicate with SRB2 to make a player rankings system, player registration system, player ban control in-game or on the forum, or more!

10) Impossible Single Player Mode: Make it change all items to badniks to literally make it impossible. Plus if beaten, you unlock all of the shop items.

Golly, a lot to type and read. I hope you like my entries

furyhunter600 said:
hmm...
1) Maybe a post-capturing mode like in Star Wars Battlefront? I don't think it would be very hard to base the coding off of "capture the flag"
No. We have enough gametypes.

furyhunter600 said:
2) Vehicles for Match mode (even though they would kick some serious arse)? Now that would be hard to program, AND draw.
No. Not necessary. Blatant example of a current video game gimmick. It'll be standard and boring in a year, I guarantee it.

furyhunter600 said:
A decent smiley would be rather hard to draw in the font size. Most graphical smilies really suck as well. Besides, ASCII owns you all ^_~

furyhunter600 said:
4) Halo 2 Match mode? You could possibly use the "shields" thing to replace rings, here's a sample:
You have 100% Shields, or 100 rings, and as you get hit by different weapons (like the bomb, rapid and homing rings) you recieve different amounts of damage to your shield, or you lose rings. When you reach 0% shields, or 0 rings, your vulnerable, and when damaged, you die. After about 10 seconds of having damaged shields, they recharge, or you gain rings, back to 100% capacity.

This would be a mission to do if you were to do this SSNTails, plus you'd have to find a way to make it remove all rings in the maps while in this mode.
Uh, HELL no. The current gameplay mechanics work fine. We don't need to change the game to something it's not because Halo is the "cool" thing.

furyhunter600 said:
5) RPG system: Like after beating an OFFICIAL level, or destroying an enemy, you gain a certain amount of rings to spend in the shop. There, you can buy maps, unlockables and characters. I bet JTE wouldn't mind if you used his Eggman and Jason wads. Plus you could input the original characters (like Chao and Megaman) from the first demos. Then you could make a Samus wad to buy in the shop (just make it REALLY expensive).
Uh, why would that even make sense? Just fufilling basic requirements to unlock stuff makes more sense. Adding complexity is not necessary in any way.

furyhunter600 said:
6) Adventure mode built in, just required in the shop if you use the shop thing.
Adventure mode was added by AJ just to shut up everyone who said that he couldn't do it. SRB2 is not intended to play like Sonic Adventure. Adventure mode is a sort of secret, not part of the actual game.

furyhunter600 said:
7) MMORPG Mode: For multiplayer, though it would be difficult to do. An inventory, weapons system and spell system.
This is not SPMoves. We aren't trying to add insane things to SRB2. We're trying to do something more insane. Finish it.

furyhunter600 said:
8 ) All emeralds required boss: Maybe a special level that only is availible after getting ALL of the emeralds.
Now THAT is a reasonable suggestion. So reasonable that the support is already in 1.09. Mystic Realm Version 4 has an all emerald section for Sonic. It's not a Super Sonic stage, but it's definitely interesting (and absurdly difficult.)

Any custom wadder dealing with 1.09 will be able to direct the player to different stages based on whether they have the emeralds or not.

furyhunter600 said:
9) Player registering system: By using the MySQL database used for this forum, you could possibly make it communicate with SRB2 to make a player rankings system, player registration system, player ban control in-game or on the forum, or more!
That's reasonable, but not really a good idea at this point, since we have such a small player base. If the game ever becomes popular as a multiplayer game, it is a decent idea, however.

furyhunter600 said:
10) Impossible Single Player Mode: Make it change all items to badniks to literally make it impossible. Plus if beaten, you unlock all of the shop items.
Ultimate is absurd enough, thanks.

furyhunter600 said:
Golly, a lot to type and read. I hope you like my entries
One of the suggestions is already done, most of the other ones are either intentionally non-existant or something that sounds straight out of one of JTE's insane ideas ^_^()

Remember, SRB2 itself is supposed to be practical. We don't do insane ideas unless we actually believe we can complete them. The last one was Chaos. Look what garbage that lead to...

What I want to know is why the hell does Sonic need vehicles? That's really, really, really redundant. Maybe if this was, you know, an actual FPS, I'd say "Well, yeah, maybe Vehicles would be cool" - but this is Sonic-the-freakin'-Hedgehog, here. As in, "Zero to Mach 1 in less than a second". As in, "Can outrun most man-made vehicles".

Adding in vehicles to SRB2 is like making a toaster that doubles as a clothes dryer. It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Not to be rude, or anything, but please, think about what you're suggesting before you suggest it. Just because you think Halo 2 is the "mad phat leetz" doesn't mean SRB2 should automatically incorporate all of Halo 2's gameplay.

I have the perfect suggestion for Sonic RoboBlast 2!

* Stop letting us make suggestions so that you guys can get on with your lives and complete the game!

XD

I'm sorry, I just had to make that one! ;)

--- Gemini

The reason we have this topic is for the random and occasional serious suggestion that isn't stupid, like the password one.

For those rare and actually intelligent suggestions is the reason this topic exists. It's the general stupid ones that made it 33 pages.

Mystic said:
But a441, all of those solutions are workarounds to the simplistic and easy "password" feature.
Having someone on call in case something goes wrong is a better solution, not a workaround.

It makes NO sense to say that because the match support is an offshoot of the game to deny the Coop and Race modes simple password protection.
Coop and Race games are a "play it with a few friends" type deal. I doubt Sonikku envisioned them being on a master server.

Yes, he's working for me, Mystic. ;) Anyhow...
furyhunter600 said:
If I knew what that was, I'd make it.
furyhunter600 said:
I already have vehicles for Chatroom-mode. ;)
furyhunter600 said:
Yeah, I know. But as My-stick stated, it would be useless and hard to do and pretty ugly as well.
furyhunter600 said:

I have the HP system all layed out for my PSO mode... It just doesn't recharge. ;)
furyhunter600 said:
I have an RPG level up system in which you gain experience in such a manner, but have no character wads to use it. But making unlockable characters would be stupid because everyone would just make their own non-unlockable versions because they all suck. :|
furyhunter600 said:
Uh... What?... You need to have Adventure mode unlocked to use the shop?...
furyhunter600 said:
*Yawn* Been there. Done that. Have the tee-shirt
tee-shirt said:
I wasted my life making an awesome, fully customizable MMORPG system for SRB2 and lived to tell about it!
furyhunter600 said:
Yes, that has been done. I've tested the Custom Exit which allows it before Mystic put it in his Mystic Realm, I assure you. And I tried to make a Super Sonic battle system for SPMoves Beta 11, but I missed something and thus it would crash all the time... I'll be starting over for Beta 12...
furyhunter600 said:
Well, since I don't have access to "this forum" in such a way, I cannot do such a thing. Not that I would, anyhow.
furyhunter600 said:
I've been thinking that Ultimate isn't hard enough for a while now, actually... Especially with all my SPMoves characters and their Godly powers... I did give the enemys large fireballs to pwn anyone using Fox, but it's broken now or something. :| Such a shame...

Well, good ideas, though a little misguided and stupid. :roll:

Normally I make alot of crazier ideas. But these ideas that people have been posting are pretty crazy to begin wirh, making it balanced. If you were to see what kind of ideas and things I come up with, you'd probly go insane. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 8, Members: 0, Guests: 8)

Back