• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 WAD Editor v0.6.0 (Updated 10/31/05)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digiku

I was bored for a few days, so I decided to make a lump-based editor specifically designed for SRB2!

srb2wedit.png

Actually, I didn't make a full editor, but a graphical interface for a441's Lumpmod, called SRB2 WAD Editor. Realizing Lumpmod can do SRB2-specific stuff without making much of a fuss, I thought I'd just go and make an interface for it, since command line programs boggle my brain in huge quantities of usage. So I plopped open MMF and did so, thus creating this.

I've tried to make this as pro-SRB2 as possible, recognizing a few SRB2-specific stuff. This can do everything Lumpmod can do, so you can name lumps with lowercase letters *nudges character wadders ;D* and import some lumps other programs might find strange. This is also a major work-in-progress, but it's not exactly a closed effort. SRB2 Wad Editor is more of a side project, so suggestions and help are certainly welcomed. If you want the source, I can give you that as well. I don't really mind :P.

-------------------------------
Originally, you had to download Lumpmod separately. However, since I now included a modified version of Lumpmod with SRB2 WAD Editor, you don't need to. It, along with all of its docs, are included.

Download:
http://digiku.x3dom.net/SRB2/srb2wedit_060.zip (1.62mb)

Readme:
http://digiku.x3dom.net/SRB2/SRB2WEDOCS

UPDATE: SRB2 WAD Editor v0.6.0 is out! It's a MAJOR RELEASE that fixes bugs of all kinds and adds sprite support. Take a look at the changes:
Fixed: File selector now remembers the last path it's been in
Fixed: Map-specific lumps (LINEDEFS, SIDEDEFS, etc.) now are associated with their own maps
Fixed: Clicking "Cancel" when opening a WAD file does not render the program useless anymore
Fixed: FTP Upload is now not forced to use .WAD files
Fixed: New "Save to File" routine now allows for multiple kinds of files to be saved (rather than just *.txt/*.asc)
Fixed: Other minor bugs
Changed: Text Readme file is now an HTML Help document
Changed: Cleaned up the menus
Changed: Remapped keys
Changed: FTP Upload no longer saves the password inputted (for security reasons)
Changed: All save values are now stored in an INI file
Added: Map header edit mode
Added: Music playing mode (for OGG/MIDI/MOD, not MP3)
Added: MOD support (maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.)
Added: Sprite/Wall Patch/Picture -> BMP
Added: Sprite offsets support
Added: Automatic lump type detection for some types (map headers, music)

Also, THE SOURCE IS NOW AVAILABLE! Drop me a Private Message/E-mail/IRC PM (last option preferable). Note you need MMF 1.5 in order to view the source.

Edit: SRB2 WAD Editor is obsolete. See this post. Do not ask me to fix the link. I will not re-host the archive. Use XWE instead.

This earns a whole bunch of WIN.

Also, I would LOVE the source code to this. May I have it? Please? I'll do your laundry. ;_;

So, how do I use it? Can it be used to make character wads!? :D!

Not to a very high extent, but this program can assist with making character wads. See, this can't convert a bitmap file to a lump SRB2 can understand, so you must use another editor like Wintex or XWE to import bitmap files to lumps. However, you can use this program to easily rename lowercase lumps, while before, you had to bring up a hex editor to do so.

and There's a readme, you know :P.

Speaking of, if anyone wants to write a more comprehensive readme, go right ahead. I always write long, unclear things, unfortunately.

Wow, I actually thought this topic was made by one of the many new people asking how to get Wadauthor or something.. looks interesting.

Digi, maybe you can look at the Wintex or XWE source and see how to convert BMP->Sprite...

I've been making my own little helpful editing thingys lately, including XWE TEXTURE1 and PNAMES for 1.09, an uncompiled default ANIMATED lump (so adding animated textures without making everything else unanimated is possible), and other things I'm forgetting, but I can't post any of it right now, I'm not at home right now (As you folk who can see my IP can tell)

Well, I already had the XWE TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps covered, although the more I think about it, I should really just release the .lmp files, so it's easier to work with. I'm interested in your ANIMATED lump, though.

You updated them for 1.09? I didn't see them released anywhere. :|
Anyway, here's the ANIMATED lump (uncompiled, of course)...
Just stick this in a text file and run SWANTBLS.EXE with the name of the file you used as the perameter. It's a crappy MSDOS program and such, but maybe you can find a newer one?... Whatever. o.o
Code:
# ANIMATED defaults for SRB2
# by Jason the Echidna

# Speed is how many tics before the next frame of
# animation. (So a speed of 8 is slower then 2 because
# it waits 8 tics before switching to the next frame.)
# Last is the last frame in the animation.
# First is the first frame in the animation.

# This list is a perfect replica of the one in SRB2's
# source code, right down to the commenting. But I
# took the time to do the boring work of putting it
# in the format below, SO YOU'D BETTER FIND IT USEFUL.

[SWITCHES]
# There are no switches in SRB2.

[FLATS]
#speed  #last    #first
4       NUKAGE3  NUKAGE1
4       FWATER16 FWATER1
4       BWATER16 BWATER1
4       LWATER16 LWATER1
4       WATER7   WATER0
8       SWATER4  SWATER1
8       LAVA4    LAVA1
8       BLOOD3   BLOOD1

#speed  #last    #first
8       RROCK08  RROCK05
4       QUIKSN16 QUIKSN01 # Quicksand
4       CHEMG16  CHEMG01  # THZ Chemical gunk
4       GOOP16   GOOP01   # Green chemical gunk
4       SLIME08  SLIME05
2       THZBOXF4 THZBOXF1 # Moved up with the flats
2       ALTBOXF4 ALTBOXF1

#speed  #last    #first
4       BLUE3    BLUE1
4       GREY3    GREY1

[TEXTURES]
#speed  #last    #first
2       GFALL4   GFALL1   # Short waterfall
2       CFALL4   CFALL1   # Long waterfall
2       TFALL4   TFALL1   # THZ Chemical fall
2       AFALL4   AFALL1   # Green Chemical fall
2       THZBOX04 THZBOX01
2       ALTBOX04 ALTBOX01
4       SFALL4   SFALL1   # Lava fall
2       BFALL4   BFALL1   # HPZ waterfall
4       GREYW3   GREYW1
4       BLUEW3   BLUEW1
4       COMP6    COMP4
4       RED3     RED1
4       YEL3     YEL1

Remember, though, this is the uncompiled plain-text version. It won't work if you just put it in a wad in this format. (Suggestion for 1.1? >.> <.<) I noticed a lot of dummy slots, too, but couldn't figure out how to access or modify them or anything ... ... ...

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about ANIMATED. I even used it in a few of my own WADs in the past XD. Yeah, I'm totally supporting that.

Also, the reason I want to support TEXTURE1 and PNAMES is because XWE nitpicks with them. Blaze and Tails pointed it out in the Suggestions topic from their argument before the posts got deleted.
The only problem I have with that is that I'd be using a441's texture tools, which he only gave out to certain people if he felt they were smart enough to figure them out. They didn't come with a license, and he said nothing about redistribution.

Digi, I have a program a441 made a while back that converts a BMP to a flat if you want it. Dunno if it does 256x256 resolution, but you can try it.

If you have any means of sending it over, please do!

And RoboAshura, I already got clued in on how to make bmp -> flat in another topic, so that might be a defiinate. Lump -> bmp might be another story, but we'll see.
As for bmp -> sprite, I'll have to take a look at the Deutex source sometime or something (thanks Tails!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back